Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
di9girl
Enthusiast
di9girl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sage, Forma or Libra 2

I'm heading down the route of getting a Kobo. I've always loved the Kobo app on my iPad but I don't want to store books on my iPad and the way I add books to the app doesn't work anymore (Calibre on PC to Calibre Companion app, then open in Kobo). If there's another way (easy/simple) then please let me know lol.

-I've heard terrible stories about the battery life on the Sage.

-I need a simple easy way to add books to the Kobo device (by books I mean Project Gutenberg etc)... epubs.

-I've never used anything to transfer other than Calibre and the Calibre Companion app so have no experience with a Kobo desktop app or Dropbox for transferring files.

-The Libra 2 doesn't have Dropbox support: is this coming in a future update? I appreciate there may be a workaround but I'm not a coder so I'm unsure about altering things.

I'm in the UK so limited on where I can buy the 32GB version that I need apart from Kobo itself, Curry's and Argos don't have all the models and what they do have are the 8GB versions.

di9girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
sheri2022
sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Hisense A9
I got the Forma after the Clara, perfect size and almost a perfect device if not for the power button which I don't use because I have a smart cover. I highly suggest it over the Libra 2 becuase of the screen size and over the Sage because of the battery issue. Price was $209 couldn't convince myself to get Libra 2 for $179 with that small difference.

DropBox is nice to have, I didn't use it yet but if you are gonna use it again Forma is the best option.

I don't see you are needing 32GB unless you are using audiobooks, I have 8GB and can't see myself utilizing it to full ever.
sheri2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2022, 12:02 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Calibre with any Kobo is all you need. I use Calibre to convert to smart punctuation, indent instead of extra space at paragraph start etc, so I actually download Kindle + images version from Gutenberg. I might have to delete line heights or Left Justified with the Calibre editor at times.

You don't need dropbox.

I never need to charge my Libra (original) as I leave it connected a while when transferring via USB from Calibre. I never turn on WiFi, which extends battery life.
I do a lot of proof reading, then editing, as well as reading for pleasure, so use Kobo Utilities to read back annotations. I might use the ereader 1 to 12 hours a day, every day.
I've had two older Kobos (Still have Original H2O) and have Sony PRS350, 3x Kindle models (and used others), Boyue Likebook Mars (mostly for library books and some PDFs) and a Kobo Elipsa (used mainly as ewriter, but also some PDFs).

All most all my ebook reading and annotation is on the Libra.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by di9girl View Post

-I need a simple easy way to add books to the Kobo device (by books I mean Project Gutenberg etc)... epubs.
I use the native browser on my Kobos to download books directly from Gutenberg, etc. It’s fine for that purpose and easier, for me, than booting laptop, etc.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #5
di9girl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri2022 View Post
I got the Forma after the Clara, perfect size and almost a perfect device if not for the power button which I don't use because I have a smart cover. I highly suggest it over the Libra 2 becuase of the screen size and over the Sage because of the battery issue. Price was $209 couldn't convince myself to get Libra 2 for $179 with that small difference.

DropBox is nice to have, I didn't use it yet but if you are gonna use it again Forma is the best option.

I don't see you are needing 32GB unless you are using audiobooks, I have 8GB and can't see myself utilizing it to full ever.
The difference in price here is £90 between the Sage and Libra 2 for 32GB. I suppose like most things, I'd prefer the bigger screen size I'm in two minds about the GB size though, as you say I'd probably never use 8GB let alone 32GB. And, to be honest, I delete most books once I've read them lol. I use Audible for audiobooks.
Advert
Old 02-10-2022, 12:19 PM   #6
di9girl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Calibre with any Kobo is all you need. I use Calibre to convert to smart punctuation, indent instead of extra space at paragraph start etc, so I actually download Kindle + images version from Gutenberg. I might have to delete line heights or Left Justified with the Calibre editor at times.

You don't need dropbox.

I never need to charge my Libra (original) as I leave it connected a while when transferring via USB from Calibre. I never turn on WiFi, which extends battery life.
I do a lot of proof reading, then editing, as well as reading for pleasure, so use Kobo Utilities to read back annotations. I might use the ereader 1 to 12 hours a day, every day.
I've had two older Kobos (Still have Original H2O) and have Sony PRS350, 3x Kindle models (and used others), Boyue Likebook Mars (mostly for library books and some PDFs) and a Kobo Elipsa (used mainly as ewriter, but also some PDFs).

All most all my ebook reading and annotation is on the Libra.
I didn't realise Calibre would send to Kobo without something in between, it's made me look at the models differently now. It is down to the Sage and Libra 2. I'm put off on the Sage because of the battery issues, but then I know the Forma is older (I believe the Sage is the newer version of the Forma). But again, I won't be using it for that many hours each day, maybe 1-2 tops and always at home.

The screen size on the Libra doesn't bother you? I'm thinking now it wouldn't bother me, as physical books I read are probably the same size as the Libra, if not smaller sometimes.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:37 PM   #7
di9girl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I use the native browser on my Kobos to download books directly from Gutenberg, etc. It’s fine for that purpose and easier, for me, than booting laptop, etc.
Good tip to know, didn't realise it would do that lol.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #8
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by di9girl View Post

-I've never used anything to transfer other than Calibre and the Calibre Companion app so have no experience with a Kobo desktop app or Dropbox for transferring files.
I love the Dropbox support! I works automatically and transparent over WiFi from almost any device.

With Dropbox installed on your device (free account is enough) it is this easy:

1. Find perfect formatted free Gutenberg books at: https://standardebooks.org/

2. Save them on your PC/Mac/phone/iPad in on your folder: Dropbox/Apps/Rakuten Kobo

3. Start your Kobo Aura One, Forma or Sage and press Sync.

Done!

Easy peazy!
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #9
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri2022 View Post
Totally agree this this advice.

With Forma you get the great larger 8" sized screen like Sage, but with the low weight and long battery life of the Libra. Best of both worlds IMO.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
With Forma you get the great larger 8" sized screen like Sage, but with the low weight and long battery life of the Libra. Best of both worlds IMO.
But the Sage and the Libra 2 have better screens and the Sage also has a faster processor. So you'll have to consider what features are the most important to you.

Large screen - Forma, Sage
New screen with better contrast than older readers - Sage, Libra 2
Light weight - Forma, Libra 2
Good battery life - Forma, Libra 2
Faster processor - Sage

Myself, I'd take the screen quality and the processor over the weight (as long as it's not too heavy, which the Sage is not) and battery, but everyone's priorities are different, of course.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #11
agugu
Enthusiast
agugu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
But the Sage and the Libra 2 have better screens and the Sage also has a faster processor. So you'll have to consider what features are the most important to you.

Faster processor - Sage

Myself, I'd take the screen quality and the processor over the weight (as long as it's not too heavy, which the Sage is not) and battery, but everyone's priorities are different, of course.
yep,you can easliy overcome battery life problem by a powerbank or usb cable.But the screen itself(hardware)is the thing you cant change at all.
agugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:24 AM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Also be honest how often are any Sage owners burning through the battery without the ability to recharge it at some point beforehand when you were otherwise unable to use it?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:36 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Let's be honest, for some people, it is a matter of convenience; they have enough devices that they have to charge often and they don't want another one.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #14
di9girl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

Faster processor - Sage

Those choices are just making it harder

Large screen: Well, like any device, most of us prefer big screens.
New screen / contrast: important.
Lightweight: I don't think this will bother me, I lean my device on a pillow-pad so don't hold it.
Good battery life: Well, as long as it doesn't drain in 1-2 hours then I'm good. I won't be taking it out of the house.
Faster processor: Important for loading/turning pages I suppose.

Ugh, I'm nowhere near decided! Cost is an issue, the Sage is £249.99 for 32GB, the Forma £199.99 for 8GB (don't know 32GB, it's out of stock here so won't tell me) and the Libra 2 is £159.99. And, I just noticed the 8GB Forma should be £239.99 so I imagine the 32GB is probably nearer £300.

I believe the Sage is the newer version of the Forma, so it's down to the Sage or the Libra 2 I guess.

The Sage has Dropbox support as @martinot states, and it looks easy. But, if I'm using Calibre I won't even need to use that, I just need to send the books directly from Calibre to the device... ?
Old 02-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #15
di9girl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Let's be honest, for some people, it is a matter of convenience; they have enough devices that they have to charge often and they don't want another one.
I charge my phone during the day, my iPad in the evening just before I use it so that won't bother me. I have a lot of sockets

Tags
kobo, kobo forma, kobo libra 2, kobo sage