Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-05-2022, 04:18 AM   #1
Anyssia
Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Forma
Tag Editor vs search as you type

I looked it up but I only found how to disable "search as you type" in the library itself.

Is there a way to disable search as you type in the "tag editor" pop up of the "edit metadata" popup? I have a hell of a lot of tags and it freezes for a couple of seconds at each letter.. I've taken to typing it in the "add item" text box and then copy pasting lower in the "available items" box.

Thank you!
Anyssia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's interesting. How many tags do you have?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #3
Anyssia
Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.Anyssia has met Morla.

I did not know the answer to that question so had to go check and the answer is deeply embarrassing lol
This particular library is fanfics and I tend to get everything that looks mildly interesting. I have specific tags for what I have actually read, but I left the original tags for the rest, to make searching easier.

Long story short, this poor library is supporting 88k tags
My troubles with the lagging tag editor make so much more sense. That said, even for my other libraries which barely hit the few dozens or hundred tags, I dislike any kind of "search as you type". I have already disabled the library-search and would be very thankful if there were an option to disable it for the tag editor too, please.

Thank you,
Ateana
Old 02-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid I am not going to remove search as you type for that dialog as it requires a redesign of it and makes it harder to use, but I will re-implement the filtering to make it more performant.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:07 AM   #5
Anyssia

Thank you very much!
Advert
Old 02-06-2022, 06:47 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm afraid I am not going to remove search as you type for that dialog as it requires a redesign of it and makes it harder to use, but I will re-implement the filtering to make it more performant.
@Kovid: I have an implementation that adds disabling/enabling completion to the context menu of most instances of EditWithComplete. I can do a PR if you think it worth your time to consider it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@Kovid: I have an implementation that adds disabling/enabling completion to the context menu of most instances of EditWithComplete. I can do a PR if you think it worth your time to consider it.
This isnt about completion, its about the tag editor dialogs'filter fields where you type in the tag name and the list of tags is restricted to those containing what you typed.

Tags
edit metadata, tag editor