Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 01-02-2022, 05:19 PM   #1
kcjeffro
kcjeffro began at the beginning.

Device: Surface Go 3
URI Linking in Notes?

First, I want to make sure I'm not missing something... In notes, you can enter web URLs and Calibre will render them as linkable. However, when I enter non-http URIs (e.g., joplin://x-callback-url/openNote?id=dcb434b544e349f99c63d8cd70602517), Calibre does not render them as clickable. Is there a setting, special syntax, or a plugin I'm missing which addresses this?

Then, if not, I'd like to make a feature request for this functionality. What's the proper way to do that?

Cheers!
kcjeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
kcjeffro

Oh, also, in Caliber itself it's possible to markdown-export individual notes, but from within ebook viewer, it appears that you can only export notes en masse. Am I missing something here?

TIA!
Advert
Old 01-03-2022, 12:19 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Only http links are recognized, IIRC. Recognizing arbitrary schemes gives too much chance of false positives. And no there is no export single note option in the viewer, what's the use case for that that cant be satisfied by simply copying the notes text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
kcjeffro

I'm using Joplin app to take notes on several books, and by using Calibre's highlight markdown export, I can deep-link back into the book. Normally, I'm reading and taking notes at the same time, often in a classroom or small group setting, one passage (and hence one note) at a time.

I can always go to the main Calibre window to do a single-note md export to get the Calibre link, but that's an extra step that could be skipped if the highlight browser in the Calibre's ebook viewer had the same single-note export functionality.

Which is to say, I'm not after the note or highlight - I'm actually trying to get the md link, on a per-link basis.

On a side note, if the Joplin (or Obsidian, or or or) URI were clickable from within the Calibre ebook viewer, I could deep-link in both directions. =)

Last edited by kcjeffro; 01-03-2022 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Edited for Clarity
Old 01-03-2022, 09:35 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want a link to a particular location in the book, you can get it in the viewer itself by simply right clicking and choosing Go to -> Location in that screen you can copy the link to that location in the book.
Advert
Old 01-03-2022, 09:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And if you want to create arbitrary clickable links in calibre, you can do so (at least for the book details panel, not for notes) by Preferences->Look & feel->Book details->Create rules to convert identifiers to links
Old 01-04-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
kcjeffro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And if you want to create arbitrary clickable links in calibre, you can do so (at least for the book details panel, not for notes) by Preferences->Look & feel->Book details->Create rules to convert identifiers to links
I will play with that today; I think that will get me where I need to be!

Thank you very, very much!