Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Sage battery life

After reading several posts about the Sage's poor battery life, I finally had a chance to test it. I read uninterrupted for exactly one hour in KOReader, and the battery went from 86% to 68%. I then rebooted into Nickel and did the same, one hour of uninterrupted reading. The result was better, but still bad, dropping from 65% at the start of the hour to 56% by the end.

Kobo's Sage tech specs say
Quote:
Battery Weeks of battery life*
*dependent on individual usage.
At 9-10% per hour that "individual usage" would basically have to be no more than 1 hour a day to have the battery last as little as TWO weeks, the smallest possible whole number of weekS.

My personal circumstances mean that this shocking suckage is not enough reason to consider a return, but it does cast a pall on the experience, and make it more likely that my Libra H20 will remain my goto for really lengthy reading sessions. VERY disappointing.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
That´s the same for me

This morning I have been reading for 30 minutes and the battery has dropped from 76% to 72%, that means about 10 hours of total duration, brightness at 12% and wifi and bluetooth turned off.

It's poor, I'm waiting for a Power Cover at Amazon ...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2021, 05:13 AM   #3
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Deepguide's review at 30% brightness and wifi on pegs the sage at 4.5-5 hours battery life in reading mode with page turns every 30 seconds.

With notepad use, a dismal 2.5 hours of battery life
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:33 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Deepguide's review at 30% brightness and wifi on pegs the sage at 4.5-5 hours battery life in reading mode with page turns every 30 seconds.

With notepad use, a dismal 2.5 hours of battery life
Yep, that sounds about right - my brightness is set at 30% but WiFi off, probably how I was getting as "much" as I was
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:41 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thank you for starting this thread. I'm hoping other owners will post their results, and that the battery life will be better after a few/many charge cycles.

Interesting that the Libra 2 has the battery life in the specs, "Weeks of battery life", yet I don't seem to be reading of complaints about the Libra 2.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The difference between nickel and KOReader can probably be attributed to nickel's aggressive standby behavior, which we kinda knew made a difference on sunxi, given the experience on PocketBook. (I'm intermittently working on playing with a similar feature in KOReader, but it's finicky and I hate the performance cost it has, so it won't be ready for a while, and will be opt-in, not opt-out).

Note taking fires up 3 of the CPU cores, and the driver's iffy behavior ensures one of those is pegged at 100% when drawing, which certainly explains the extra draw there.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:48 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My experience seems to be the same, 8-9% drop in an hour. Brightness at 8-9, wifi and bluetooth off.

Yeah, that power cover will come in handy, for charging between reading sessions.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-05-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
Hello this might be the big reason for me not to buy the Sage, if anyone has the Libra 2: what battery life findings do you have under these situations?
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #9
guti
guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.guti read the news today, oh boy.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2, Kobo Aura HD, Tolino Vision 4, Kobo Forma
I just got the Sage this week.
The first cycle was tremendous and ended in a few hours starting from a 60%.
I checked yesterday and, with WiFi and Bluetooth Off, light at 15%: I'm inline with ~10% per hour.

My Forma is 2 years old but it consume less than 5% per hour.

I will wait a pair of cycles and I will do the test done in the Deepguide review.

I'm seriously evaluating the return policy of 30 days.

Inviato dal mio HD1913 utilizzando Tapatalk
guti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
I ordered Libra 2, i was thinking about selling Pocketbook IP3, and ordering Sage too, but i'm glad i didn't, IP3 is 2.5 years old and battery is still great (more than 30 hours of reading).
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #11
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks for the thread. I'd been considering replacing our almost new Formas with Sages because the battery life of the Formas isn't very good. But, the Sage's battery life sounds even worse. I guess I'll hold off.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #12
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo h2o
Someone test if with koreader the battery is best? In this device I not install koreader but if it solves the battery problem I install it.
I disabled developer mode and seems battery Is a little best, but only a little little.
With my H20 first edition I don't need charge in weeks but with the sage in two days need charge again!!!!.
I think this is a error in a ebook. I don't know is if a hardware problem o software problem, but is a problem.

Enviado desde mi SM-A705FN mediante Tapatalk
albare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@albare: OP did, and I detailed the differences in my first answer.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #14
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo h2o
Sorry! I forget the first post!.
Houston I have a problem....
I don't know if wait for a new firmware or return the sage...

Enviado desde mi SM-A705FN mediante Tapatalk
albare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #15
polymerwitch
polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Interesting that the Libra 2 has the battery life in the specs, "Weeks of battery life", yet I don't seem to be reading of complaints about the Libra 2.
I have read about 2.5 books on my Libra 2 now. 30% brightness and WiFi/Bluetooth off I'm getting about 3-4% battery drain per hour. I wasn't measuring precisely, so take this with a grain of salt. I did charge it before each book, each book took me 4-5 hours to read, and the battery was 85% after the first and 87% after the second.
polymerwitch is offline   Reply With Quote