Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O (1st edn), Xiaomi InkPalm 5
Diagnosing Kobo touch issues [non-responsive to touch]

I have a Kobo mini which has worked fine for some time.

However, last week, in the space about 20 minutes, it went from working fine to responding erratically and inaccurately to touch (choosing the 'wrong' thing) to not responding to touch at all.

It appear fine otherwise, the system loads up and isn't frozen, everything displays normally, and I've tried resetting things and so on. But it simply seems to not register any touches whatsoever (but otherwise seems fine).

Does anyone have suggestions on diagonising (and hopefully mending) such a Kobo with a non-responsive touch screen.
emacsomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Mini uses IR touch. That means there are IR beams across the screen. The most common cause for problems is muck getting caught under the bezel and blocking the beams.

The next most common reason is not reassembling them properly after pulling one apart for some reason. I have done this a couple of time. Though worst is when you try to test it while it is apart and it takes five minutes to remember...

If it has been dropped, something could have been knocked out of place. Check that the bezel is sitting properly on the screen with not gaps. Simply squeezing down on the bezel might be enough to solve this.

You might want to open the back and check everything is in place. I don't have a Mini so I don't know exactly what is there to check.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O (1st edn), Xiaomi InkPalm 5
Ah! Many thanks. Tried squeezing the bezel, but that doesn't seem to affect anything. I'll try pulling it apart (again - I've had it apart in the past to swap sdcards, but it's been working for a long time after the swap, so I don't think it's a re-assembly issue) and see if I can see anything. The only thing I can think of that's at all close temporally is my trying to repair a crack on the edge with superglue.
emacsomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:41 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have a mini. On the H2O the IR guide (black shiny plastic frame) has to snap into the PCB to be correctly aligned, some pictures https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...58#post3859658

Maybe something similar for the mini.

I have a semi-defective kobo touch where I also couldn't get the touch screen to work. It could be anything from misalignment, some kind of obstruction, down to a failed IR led/sensor. I guess maybe it could be debugged at driver level (?) but I haven't manage to do that.

It is possible to simulate touch events and still use the device, but ...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsomancer View Post
Ah! Many thanks. Tried squeezing the bezel, but that doesn't seem to affect anything. I'll try pulling it apart (again - I've had it apart in the past to swap sdcards, but it's been working for a long time after the swap, so I don't think it's a re-assembly issue) and see if I can see anything. The only thing I can think of that's at all close temporally is my trying to repair a crack on the edge with superglue.
Did you try davidfor's first suggestion about something getting stuck under the bezel? Use canned air all around under the bezel, or a soft-bristled brush will work. That's really the main cause of IR touch misbehaving.

If you used the superglue anywhere near the inner edge of the bezel, that's likely a problem, it will interfere with the IR beams. If you used it on the outer edge of the reader, that wouldn't affect the beams.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
kobo mini, touch screen issue