Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 AM   #1
qwertypoiyoity
qwertypoiyoity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Is there a way i make my own case that triggers Sleep/wake for the kindle oasis 3?

I bought a case that said that it would work for the Kindle Oasis 2, but since i have the kindle oasis 3, it doesn't work. I heard that this was because the magnets were positioned slightly differently.

I have some small disk magnets and I was hoping to be able to just tape some onto my current case, but i just can't seem to trigger the sleep wake manually.

Am I just getting the locations wrong, or is there something more to it?
qwertypoiyoity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Some small disk magnets are not strong enough. Typically dark ones for fridge notes. The stronger ones are often more metallic and silvery. Though I have one dark one that works.

So both placement and magnet is important. Use something that sticks to a magnet (some coins or any ferrous washer, though some stainless steels are non-magnetic) and find magent location on the Oasis 2 cover. Either slit open or just move that around. It's easier if you manually sleep the reader and move the magnet as it will wake just after the magnet moves away from the active spot.

So if the new cover fits you may be able to reposition the existing magnet.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertypoiyoity View Post
I have some small disk magnets and I was hoping to be able to just tape some onto my current case, but i just can't seem to trigger the sleep wake manually.
Get a bigger magnet. (or stick all your magnets into bigger clump)
Use it to find the location on the Kindle that triggers the sleep mode.
Get your small disk magnet and test whether it triggers sleep mode, now that you know the general location of the point on Kindle.
Position small magnet inside the cover if possible. Make small incision and hollow a space for it.
Use magnet as small as possible, so you do not have big lump in your cover and *also* so you do not trigger the sensor when you bend your cover flap all the way to the back of reader.

You can buy small Neodymium magnets on the net. They are very cheap, but you will pay postage. So, you can get various sizes, from very small and thin ones to larger ones with only a slight increase of price.

I have built a sleep cover for my (non-Kindle) e-ink reader. I have purchased something like 100 tiny magnets for under 10 euro (including postage). I think that a neodymium magnet with thickness of 0.5mm and diameter of 5mm should be big enough. But you should order more sizes, they cost cents each (unless you are buying really large ones). Do experiment beforehand.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you find the Oasis goes to sleep when you fold back the cover, the magnets are too strong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:01 PM   #5
qwertypoiyoity

I do think that the magnets i have are strong enough. the ones i have are 1cm x 2mm neodymium magnets that i bought online. They should be stronger than the standard fridge magnet. They are the silvery ones mentioned.

I just can't seem even trigger the sleep wake manually. I'm that function is not broken as my friends sleep wake case works for my kindle. Checking for the magnets inside their case it seems that the positions of the magnets are all that different to the one on mine.

I've tried placing the magnets on the magnets that are in the kindle but that didn't trigger the sleep wake. What else do you guys thinking missing?
Advert
Old 01-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The magnets sound large enough. The ones used are barely 1cm dia and maybe 1mm thick.

You just haven't got the right spot. Put clear plastic over the screen and sleep the ereader. Then move the magnet around slowly till it wakes. Which way is up might matter. Some models have the Hall sensor under the bezel and on others it's under the screen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #7
qwertypoiyoity

Thanks, turns out it was just me being really bad at this. I was trying to sleep it from being awak4 instead of waking it from sleep.

Finally managed to trigger it to wake using 3 magnets. 2 in the corers and one hovering around the bottom right edge of the screen.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by qwertypoiyoity; 01-21-2021 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typos

Tags
kindle oasis 3, sleep cover