Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2020, 03:47 AM   #1
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
New problems with Kindle on my iPhone and old Android phone

I don't know what happened but recently, maybe from about a month ago or so, when viewing highlights on iPhone, it goes to the beginning of the book instead of the place where I am at the moment, making the highlights viewing useless.

Also I bought an old used Android phone recently and downloaded Kindle on it, and noticed that an option to view the highlights is not there at all, (same with search function). The Android phone uses Kitkat (that's as high as it goes).

This is strange as I used to have the same type of Android phone last year (which I lost and hence I bought it again this year) and it did have ability to view highlight back then.

Last edited by 2scre; 10-12-2020 at 08:45 PM.
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You (justifiably) may not like it, but it seems that is the way the iOS app works: it just lists them in the order they occur in the book, starting with the first one, and without any indicator of your current reading position relative to highlights/bookmarks/notes list.

Note that you can Filter the list by chapter, and Search will include results from highlights and notes that you have created. And Page Flip (if available for the book) has indicators on the thumbnails with annotations.

It’s probably not worth comparing it with the Android app if you are running KitKat: you will have an older version of the Kindle app, and it may not work very well even then (based on my experience - I have such an old Android phone). I could not get it to sync collections properly, for example.

But for what it’s worth, the current Android app seems to ‘scroll to current location’ (but again, without any indication of where current location is in the list). Maybe the iOS app did this too at one point, and has regressed.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-11-2020 at 02:36 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
You (justifiably) may not like it, but that is the way the iOS app works: it just lists them in the order they occur in the book
You can use the Filter, and check mark the chapter that contains the highlights you want to see.

Tap the screen, then tap the My Notebook icon at the top, just to the right of the Aa. Then use the Filter icon at the top left. You can sort by highlight color, notes, bookmarks, and scroll to see the chapters that can be checked or unchecked, depending on what you're looking for.

I'm using the Kindle app 6.34 version on an iPhone 7+.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
But for what it’s worth, the current Android app seems to ‘scroll to current location’ (but again, without any indication of where current location is in the list). Maybe the iOS app did this too at one point, and has regressed.
It did indeed, but question is why they regressed?
Is there no way to go back to the older version of Kindle before they took this away?
Old 10-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
2scre
Zealot

By the way the version of Kindle for Android on my Kitkat Android is 4.15.0.46 .
When I used a Jellybean for Android on the same phone a long time ago, it used to be that not only it showed list of highlights, but also showed it in whatever font the system font was set to be, making it better than the modern Kindle for Android which only shows it in one single serif font.

Is there a way to go back to Jellybean version of Kindle?
Advert
Old 10-31-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
2scre
Zealot

Could anyone confirm that this has not happened to the newest version of Kindle for Android as well?

By "this" I mean showing the highlights from the beginning of the book when viewing list of highlights.