Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Looking for a great koreader dictionary

I need a good quality English dictionary for koreader. And I'm having trouble finding one that isn't woefully outdated. I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Koreader needs a dictionary in the "StarDict" format. A dictionary in any of these other file formats would probably be okay too: wb, dictd, csv, xdxf, txt, ini and ling (native) files. There is software that claims to convert these formats to StarDict.

Most of the decent (free) StarDict dictionaries referenced in Wikipedia are older, copyright free or volunteer efforts predating 1950 and quite a few are closer to the turn of the century. So dictionary searches miss a huge swath of contemporary words, language and jargon.

I'm looking for a high quality, contemporary English dictionary. Comparable quality to Oxford or Collins, et al if possible. And as contemporary as possible. Certainly not more than 50 years old. Something < 20 years old would have a lot more utility. It need not be free. Or in one volume, as koreader will search multiple dictionaries if a word is not found in the first one.

The OED, 2nd edition (1989) is a high quality and current-ish dictionary. It's sold on CDROM for windows.. but I haven't gotten any answer as to what file format it uses i.e. whether it could be converted to StarDict or not? Any one know more about this CDROM or know of other good choices out there?

Last edited by Junket; 01-07-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Suggestions remain welcome.

In aid of anyone else searching for dictionaries that finds this thread, I found a link to more StarDict dictionaries here, that appears to have some good English dictionary options.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert