Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #1
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
Calibre v4.2 Won't Start After Splash Screen

Suddenly, my Calibre v4.2 (running on an up-to-date Windows 10 PC) won't show its main screen after the splash screen. Task Manager confirms that it's running.

I've rebooted the computer twice, run the 'repair' function on Calibre, and finally uninstalled Calibre and re-installed the program. It hasn't helped.

The only thing I can think of is that Windows 10 recently had an automatic update overnight. I haven't changed anything else and am only running Defender as my AV program.

I've been using Calibre successfully for 4 years and have 33,000 books in my database.

Am at my wits end. Can anyone help?
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Have you EVER had multiple Monitors?
How were they positioned (To Right, Above, Below ) in relation to the main monitor at the time. (I say this, because attaching the second monitor can change which video port was the Main one when there are more than 1attached)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Thanks for the quick reply, theducks. I was actually going to write to you privately, since you helped me in the past.

Sadly, no, despite having used computers since 1981 I've never ever hooked up multiple monitors.

My only other thought is to uninstall Calibre again, and reinstall one of the older versions.

However, I'm very, very hopeful that someone here at MobileRead will have a better idea.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
pjmpjm
Zealot

theducks, I just ran the 'repair' feature for the 3rd time and everything seems to be working again. I was just about to uninstall Calibre again and install verison 3.48. Am still mystified but very relieved, having been without my beloved Calibre for more than three hours. I'm still happy to receive advice or tips from anyone who's had a similar problem.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmpjm View Post
theducks, I just ran the 'repair' feature for the 3rd time and everything seems to be working again. I was just about to uninstall Calibre again and install verison 3.48. Am still mystified but very relieved, having been without my beloved Calibre for more than three hours. I'm still happy to receive advice or tips from anyone who's had a similar problem.
Remember:
Uninstall leave settings AND the Library behind

(re)Install does NOT replace existing settings or the Library.
On very rare cases, Calibre adds stuff to the settings to be compatible with the new version. And it has been a LOOOOONG time since the DB had a structure change.

So if you suspect a user setting went way South...
BACKUP the configuration folder. Then Delete it (the original , not the backup )
Calibre will rebuild the DEFAULTS the next time it starts.(if your Library is not in the default location, you will need to create/Switch: to the correct place. ) There will also be no plugins or those settings.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've seen this happen a two or three times, and it was always caused by sending Calibre to the tray. Either via checking Preferences->Look and Feel->Enable system tray icon or via a 3rd party Windows utility.

If you use the setting in L&F the calibre icon will be shown in the Notification Area (Tray), to get it on the taskbar (near the clock) you have to adjust the TaskBar Settings.

Because Calibre advertises itself to Windows as "The calibre main program" users didn't see it in Task Manager because they looked amongst C's in the Background Task list, so they rebooted the computer.

In the case of the 3rd party Minimise to Tray utilities there was no icon - on the taskbar, in the 'Tray', or near the clock - i.e it was no place it could be seen. Could be a Qt 'thing', because Sigil's the same - solution disable Minimise to Tray in the utility for Sigil and Calibre.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-31-2019 at 04:41 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
pjmpjm
Zealot

Thanks very much, theducks and BetterRed. All is working well now and I've refreshed my knowledge of Calibre by lots of reading and studying. Your input much appreciated.