Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
optoabhi
optoabhi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Exclamation Import books of only certain formats from folders/sub-folders ?

I have a huge collection of various books in various formats such as pdf, epub, mobi, opf, etc. While I import them to Calibre I would like only epub and mobi to be imported. How could I do that ?
optoabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-06-30 073719.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	172181

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@BetterRed: Would that not require him to add ignore rules for every ebook format that he would not want to add before the default add known ebook formats rule was hit? I had fun trying to create a rule that would match any filetype for the ignore though that may be due to not making enough use of calibre's regex.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Import them all, select all books with ctrl+a and then use right click the remove books button and delete unwantd formats
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:48 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
@BetterRed: Would that not require him to add ignore rules for every ebook format that he would not want to add before the default add known ebook formats rule was hit? I had fun trying to create a rule that would match any filetype for the ignore though that may be due to not making enough use of calibre's regex.
Not sure, I've never used the feature

FTR : I would just do a Windows search for e.g. type:epub at the top of the tree where I have the files, select them all, and copy-or-move them to the another folder - perhaps the autoadd folder. Then repeat for type.mobi

BR
Advert
Old 06-30-2019, 02:23 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Neither have I but the description reminded me of my favourite firewall rule that should go at the bottom of the evaluation list: Deny All. That has bitten me once or twice when I'd forgetten it's existence and added a rule after it.

Quote:
FTR : I would just do a Windows search for e.g. type:epub at the top of the tree where I have the files, select them all, and copy-or-move them to the another folder - perhaps the autoadd folder. Then repeat for type.mobi
Pretty much my choice as well.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:05 AM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:

BR
Or even easier: do a Windows search for e.g. type:epub at the top of the tree where I have the files, select them all, and drag-and-drop into Calibre.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You could also make a batch file to find files of a certain type and then use the calibre command line to add the matching files

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Or even easier: do a Windows search for e.g. type:epub at the top of the tree where I have the files, select them all, and drag-and-drop into Calibre.
I have a shortcut to calibre.exe in my Send To folder, so I'd probably use that - that's how I normally add any book. I rarely use any of the Add Books actions - except Add Empty book.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-30-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #10
optoabhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Import them all, select all books with ctrl+a and then use right click the remove books button and delete unwantd formats

Name:	ybD6xXw.png
Views:	152
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	172252

Well the imported books shows all formats (epub, mobi, opf, txt, etc.) but the Delete option only recognizes Epub or generic ebook formats, as you can see it clearly is ignoring the *.opf books.

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-05-2019 at 01:57 AM. Reason: fix image
Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #11
optoabhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
I didnt know drag and drop with calibre! Thank you!
Old 07-05-2019, 01:13 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by optoabhi View Post
Image removed to avoid attracting moderator attention.

Well the imported books shows all formats (epub, mobi, opf, txt, etc.) but the Delete option only recognizes Epub or generic ebook formats, as you can see it clearly is ignoring the *.opf books.
Umm.. opf is not an ebook format -- it is an Open Packaging Format file that stores information about an ebook such as title, creator, book id, etc.. As for the rest, I've attached a snip with various formats (thanks to Baen who still support older formats). It does show a .txt file correctly after it was imported. Sample metadata.opf file is in the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id" version="2.0">
    <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
        <dc:identifier opf:scheme="calibre" id="calibre_id">6722</dc:identifier>
        <dc:identifier opf:scheme="uuid" id="uuid_id">63ad4fc9-38e6-49ff-bd21-ffdeb6119b34</dc:identifier>
        <dc:title>Lorem Ipsum Test</dc:title>
        <dc:creator opf:file-as="Pseudonym, Ima" opf:role="aut">Ima Pseudonym</dc:creator>
        <dc:contributor opf:file-as="calibre" opf:role="bkp">calibre (3.44.0) [https://calibre-ebook.com]</dc:contributor>
        <dc:date>0101-01-01T00:00:00+00:00</dc:date>
        <dc:language>eng</dc:language>
        <meta content="{&quot;Ima Pseudonym&quot;: &quot;&quot;}" name="calibre:author_link_map"/>
        <meta content="2019-05-21T07:00:00+00:00" name="calibre:timestamp"/>
        <meta content="Lorem Ipsum Test" name="calibre:title_sort"/>
        <meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#mm_annotations" content="{&quot;name&quot;: &quot;Annotations&quot;, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;display&quot;: {}, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#mm_annotations&quot;], &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {}, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;colnum&quot;: 2, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: null, &quot;label&quot;: &quot;mm_annotations&quot;, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;comments&quot;, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 23, &quot;#value#&quot;: null, &quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_2&quot;, &quot;is_category&quot;: false, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true}"/>
        <meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#author_sort" content="{&quot;name&quot;: &quot;Author Sort&quot;, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;description&quot;: &quot;&quot;, &quot;make_category&quot;: false, &quot;use_decorations&quot;: 0, &quot;contains_html&quot;: false, &quot;composite_sort&quot;: &quot;text&quot;, &quot;composite_template&quot;: &quot;{author_sort}&quot;}, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#author_sort&quot;], &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {}, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;colnum&quot;: 1, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: null, &quot;label&quot;: &quot;author_sort&quot;, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;composite&quot;, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 22, &quot;#value#&quot;: &quot;Pseudonym, Ima&quot;, &quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_1&quot;, &quot;is_category&quot;: false, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true}"/>
    </metadata>
    <guide>
        <reference href="cover.jpg" title="Cover" type="cover"/>
    </guide>
</package>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	formats.png
Views:	156
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	172251