Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Ahalya
Ahalya began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo AURA One
Kobo Aura One: Sudden (and Large) Battery Discharges

Hi everyone,

I have been using the Aura One for about a month now, and I have a strange issue. There are 2-3 distinct battery levels at which my device shows a battery discharge of around 10%. This has happened every single time, and at the same exact levels.

The first happens around 70%, the next at 40%, and the last one at around 20%. I saw some posters experiencing the same thing (the same discharges at almost the same levels), but I am not sure if anyone's figured out a way to fix this.

All of the usual suspects are ruled out. I rarely, if ever, use wi-fi. Auto sync is off, so is auto-lighting. Also, I don't own a sleep-cover.

It seemed like a calibration issue at first, but I have gone through 4-5 battery cycles now.

Any insight is appreciated.

Cheers,
Ahalya
Ahalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:03 AM   #2
Ahalya

And also I'm running the latest firmware: 4.4.9349.
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 AM   #3
ipronald
ipronald began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Club S, Aura H2O, Aura One
I have a Aura One for a couple of months now and I have the same issue.
Tried also calibration, but it did not make much of a difference.

It doesn't seem to be a 'real' discharge because it drops so suddenly, and around the same levels each time. It looks more like a measurement issue within the reader or even the battery.

I've disabled wifi most of the time, but enabling it does not cause level drops.

I do know from other posts that after eachfactory reset you need to do the calibration al over again. I'm not shure if recalibration is needed after each update.

Ronald

Last edited by ipronald; 05-25-2017 at 05:19 AM.
ipronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:21 AM   #4
ipronald

I've also read that a factory reset and recalibration might help.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:36 AM   #5
Ahalya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipronald View Post
I've also read that a factory reset and recalibration might help.
Thank you for your replies. I will try reset and recalibration once more.

I have also gotten in touch with the customer care, and if they are able to provide me with a different solution, I'll let you know.
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
Raymond73
Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura H2O, Tolino Vision 3HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura ONE
I had the exact same problem with my Aura ONE on the 4.4.9349 firmware: the battery drained completely overnight all of a sudden and after recharging dropped dozens of % in a few minutes.

I put firmware 4.4.9298 back and it seemed to have solved the problem. Everythings working normal right now
Raymond73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:33 AM   #7
Raymond73
Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And of course *now* Kobo sends the 4.4.9349 firmware OTA when i'm syncing. Sigh. It's back on 9349 and the battery drain problem is also back, together with the problem that the light won't go out when the Aura ONE's in sleepmode. Guess i have to wait for the new version now since i have to sync regularly with Kobo Plus.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:59 AM   #8
ipronald

Quote:
It's back on 9349 and the battery drain problem is also back, together with the problem that the light won't go out when the Aura ONE's in sleepmode.
Bummer.

My One was upgraded to 4.4.9349 last wednesday. Yesterday I've charged it to full. Used it for about an hour and this morning it was still at 92%.
No sign of unexpected discharge yet and the auto sleep mode still seems to work.

I didn't do a factory reset or recalibration. So I have to wait and see if the large charge dropping is fixed.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Ahalya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond73 View Post
And of course *now* Kobo sends the 4.4.9349 firmware OTA when i'm syncing. Sigh. It's back on 9349 and the battery drain problem is also back, together with the problem that the light won't go out when the Aura ONE's in sleepmode. Guess i have to wait for the new version now since i have to sync regularly with Kobo Plus.
Are kobo's updates normally this close together? I used a kindle for about 4 years, and their updates were far apart, and felt very stable.

Yeah, well, you have to give up stability for the openness, i suppose. I just hated how they started boarding up access to kindle software in the recent years.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond73 View Post
This problem is not usual. I know it's a pain, but have you tried singing of yoru Kobo account on the device. (This will essentially erase the Database on the Kobo and start it fresh. This will loose all bookmarks and annotations, other than what resyncs from the cloud.)

Edit: I think you should start new thread for the issue of Light not turning off in Sleep. That's clearly a completely separate issue to others discussed.

Last edited by rashkae; 05-26-2017 at 11:23 AM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:37 AM   #11
Raymond73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
This problem is not usual. I know it's a pain, but have you tried singing of yoru Kobo account on the device. (This will essentially erase the Database on the Kobo and start it fresh. This will loose all bookmarks and annotations, other than what resyncs from the cloud.)
I'm going to reset the Aura ONE to factory settings i think. That's never a bad idea when things go wonky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Edit: I think you should start new thread for the issue of Light not turning off in Sleep. That's clearly a completely separate issue to others discussed.
I see people have the same problem in the thread about the 4.4.9349 firmware