Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
tesseractcat
Enthusiast
tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Voyage
Kobo Glo HD like device, but with a micro sd card slot?

I really enjoyed the convenience of being able to quickly transfer large files to and from the detachable micro sd card on my older Kobo Glo, it was a lot better than the slow (and somewhat finicky) usb slot.

I purchased a Glo HD as a step up from the Glo, and it is an improvement in many ways, however the lack of access to a microsd slot can be very irritating at times.

In conclusion, I was wondering if there was an ereader with similar quality and features to the Glo HD, that also has a micro sd slot.

Thanks!
tesseractcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go for the H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #3
tesseractcat
Enthusiast
tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!tesseractcat rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle Voyage
The H2O looks to be what I'm looking for, if only it were slightly smaller. As it is right now, I think it's a bit big.
tesseractcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseractcat View Post
The H2O looks to be what I'm looking for, if only it were slightly smaller. As it is right now, I think it's a bit big.
I've had my H2O for some time and I think the size is great. Makes 6" Readers seems small. The H2O is not too large it's a great size if you want something larger but not too much larger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If the USB transfer speed is the main issue, it might be improved by replacing the Glo HD's internal micro-SD card with one that is faster for large files, such as a good class 10 card. There are instructions in the Kobo subforum for doing this.

You would just need to be careful to choose a class 10 card that is also fast for small files, because the small file speed can affect the performance of the software on the device, and some class 10 cards are actually much slower than class 2/4 cards for small files.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Boyue and Onyx both have SD-Card slots.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #7
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Can any applications from play.google be installed on Boyue or Onyx? I really prefer using Moon+Reader as my ereader.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Can any applications from play.google be installed on Boyue or Onyx? I really prefer using Moon+Reader as my ereader.
The Onyx C67ML Carta 2 comes with Google Play Store. The Boyue T63 doesn't, but there is a tool elsewhere in the Android Developers forum that will do that for you quickly. Even without Play Store, you could sideload apps to your heart's content onto the Boyue - as long as they will run on 4.2.2.

I mention just these two devices because I have both.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:35 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseractcat View Post
Have you ever seen a H2O in the "flesh" so to speak? People are now very used to a 6" reader, so a 6.8" reader suddenly sounds huge (don't even mention 7.8"!)

When I first bought my first 6.8" reader, I also thought it'd take some time to get used to it. But actually, after a day or so I didn't even notice it was larger anymore. Unless I put it beside my husband's Paperwhite
Now, I don't want smaller than 6.8" anymore.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote