Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
sgulick1
sgulick1 began at the beginning.

Device: pc/ kindle paperwhite
Question 'Get Books' not working for Archive.com

I have used the 'Get Books' feature to collect books mainly from Archive.org for several years, but it stopped pulling up anything from Archive.org a few weeks ago. It still gets books from Proj Gutenberg, ManyBooks etc. -the only problem is with Archive.org (I checked, their website is up and running). I tried to 'Get Books' repeatedly over several weeks and updated my Calibre and Firefox versions, but no luck. I have Windows 10. Where might the problem lie?
sgulick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Each site has a unique recipe to scrape the data.
Maybe they changed the site? Then the recipe will need to be revised.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post a book title/author that does not return results even though you think it should, and I will take a look. Most likely the open search API on the site is broken.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never mind, I see that a few weeks ago I changed that plugin to use https instead of http -- apparently that is the cause of the problem, I have reverted that change. It now works for me with a couple of test searches.

Try it again in a couple of hours and you should be fine.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
sgulick1

Unfortunately I am still not pulling anything from Archive.org, I rebooted and tried again just now. For analysis, it may be helpful to mention some related issues I noticed in Get Books page. I normally select these stores: P.Gutenberg, Archive.org, Amazon Kindle, Google Books, ManyBooks. I am pulling nothing from either Archive.org or Google Books, and of the other 3 stores, prices are showing only for ManyBooks. For test purposes, for title/author/keyword (one per search event) I am entering Oliver Twist/Dickens/England and/or Odyssey/Homer/Greece. Thanks for looking into this, Calibre is great!
Advert
Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

amazon stores are broken because amazon is blocking calibre, that is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon. As for archive.org, in addition to the https problem their opensearch server also seems to be broken, for example go to:

http://bookserver.archive.org/catalo...earch?q=austen

and you get an internal server error. Report it to them and hopefully they will fix it.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This should fix the Google Books plugin: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...6a0d7b0f53448e
Old 03-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I was wrong about amazon, the problem is a change in the website markup, not blocking, this shoudl fix it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c82133370e5933
Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
sgulick1

Regarding Archive.org issue, I reported it at their website as you suggested, am awaiting response.

Tags
archive.org, get books