Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
mspaced
mspaced began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
SSH client on KV with kTerm?

I have a jailbroken Kindle Voyage (updated to the most recent firmware) that I would like to use SSH on via kTerm. I have KUAL and MRPI installed as well. I've spent a couple nights tinkering around and keep coming up with dead ends.

This wiki talks about installing a package called 'Extend', but mentions it's deprecated and that you should just pull packages you need from Debian armel. I would try to do that, but I'm not sure how to pull packages from an apt repository without having an ARM install of Debian first.

Doing the USBNetwork hack seems a bit overkill when all I want is an SSH client, and no need to run an SSH server on the Kindle itself. Plus, I tried the hack the other night, and it didn't seem to take. I was just about to try again but figured I'd post here first since this seems like a pretty helpful community.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'm happy to have finally found this forum.

Thanks and cheers!
mspaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspaced View Post
I have a jailbroken Kindle Voyage (updated to the most recent firmware) that I would like to use SSH on via kTerm. I have KUAL and MRPI installed as well. I've spent a couple nights tinkering around and keep coming up with dead ends.

This wiki talks about installing a package called 'Extend', but mentions it's deprecated and that you should just pull packages you need from Debian armel. I would try to do that, but I'm not sure how to pull packages from an apt repository without having an ARM install of Debian first.

Doing the USBNetwork hack seems a bit overkill when all I want is an SSH client, and no need to run an SSH server on the Kindle itself. Plus, I tried the hack the other night, and it didn't seem to take. I was just about to try again but figured I'd post here first since this seems like a pretty helpful community.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. I'm happy to have finally found this forum.

Thanks and cheers!
Look again at the contents of the USBnetworking package.
I am pretty sure there is an ssh client included.
It may not be the OpenSSH client, it might be the Dropbear version (they are functionally equivalent, but the name is different).

Please be more specific about "Did not seem to take."
This is a technical forum, we need technical details when a technical problem is encountered.

= = = =

You are over thinking the means of using Debian binaries.
A *.deb package is just an ar archive, un-archive it.

When using packages.debian.org, you want to limit (or only use) the results for Jessie/ARMel, as those are the best match to your Kindle's version of Linux.

For example:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/openssh-client
Scroll down, near the bottom, pick the armel package.

And twobob has posted a script that determines any missing dependencies among the libraries already installed on the Kindle.

Last edited by knc1; 02-02-2017 at 09:11 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
mspaced

Thank you so much! I glossed over the USBNetworking problem because it wasn't specifically what I was asking about.

It's about my bed time, but I will for sure be trying this out tomorrow!

Cheers
Old 02-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you so much! I glossed over the USBNetworking problem because it wasn't specifically what I was asking about.

It's about my bed time, but I will for sure be trying this out tomorrow!

Cheers
It is if the client side app is included.

Besides, since the client side app has to write to the user's home directory and the home directory of the users on a Kindle is not persistent, it is a good indication that the program had to be modified and built specifically for the Kindle system.

If it is included in anything here, it is included in the USBnetworking package.
Which means that step #1 is getting that package to install.

When you have trouble getting the server side app working, it usually means a mis-understanding.
That mis-understanding can easily effect both client and server side applications since the mind involved is common to both.

Which means that step #2 is getting the server-side app in the package working.

You can make getting the client-side app working step #3.

Last edited by knc1; 02-03-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
mspaced

Got it all sorted, thanks! Ended up just using USBNet instead of going the armel route.

Just to clarify for any KV users finding this thread down the road: I used NiLuJe's USBNet 0.21.N bin installed via MRPI.
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Got it all sorted, thanks! Ended up just using USBNet instead of going the armel route.

Just to clarify for any KV users finding this thread down the road: I used NiLuJe's USBNet 0.21.N bin installed via MRPI.
I presume that means you found that the ssh-client was included in that package.

NiLuJe packages a lot of "extras" in that package.
Mostly things that only a very few people have any interest in using.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
So if you would download a deb package how would you install it on your kindle. Thanks!
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
So if you would download a deb package how would you install it on your kindle. Thanks!
A *.deb package is an ar archive, un-archive it.
Put binary and any dependent libraries not already part of the Amazon image in the appropriate part of /esys/* (USB storage, extension system) tree.
Check if the binary needs to write to conventional system areas, deal with those requirements (often arguments to the start-up command line).
If you can't do that with a binary package, then you will have to build it from the Debian source for that package with appropriate modifications.