Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Spell Check question

Spell check works pretty well and normally finds a correct choice of corrections

However, when I'm stepping through spell check to fix mis-scanned words (almost always with a count of 1) and when I click [Replace With] SC seems to refresh (takes a while for long books) and repositions to the first entry again. So I have to wait and the scroll to find the word after the one that was just replaced

It'd be a lot faster and easier to just replace the text without refreshing automatically and position the line in the errors to the next misspelt work

Is there any way or setting to do that, or is a program enhancement required?

Last edited by phossler; 11-06-2016 at 10:02 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You want to step through words quickly use the spell check tool for that, it does not refresh unless you click the refresh button.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(2.71, Win10, 64 bit)

I think the [Rechecking...] was because I almost always edit in the text since I either need to see the word in context, OR the misspelled word scrollbar is not updated (CAPTURE3 and CAPTURE 4)

If you [Change selected word] (CAPTURE3.JPG), the high light scroll bar doesn't move/refresh to what appears to be the PREVIOUS word in the list (CAPTURE4.JPG), but the Suggestions do. I think it really should highlight the NEXT word on the misspelling list.

What I did to finally reproduce it

Open Editor, Run Spell Check (Show only misspelled, NOT CS sort, NOT CS search)

Step 1. Double click misspelled word to see in context

Step 2. Manually correct, AND correct another word while you're there (BTW, this didn't trigger the 'Edit outside of Spell Checker' message that I sometimes get when I fix a different misspelling), or just change a good word

Step 3. Double click another misspelled word to see in context

Step 4. Accept suggestion, then [Rechecking ....] happens

I'm assuming that Recheck is because the text had been changed, but it was unexpected because it was delayed until I accepted a suggestion for another word. Recheck then positions the word list back to the top and I have to find where I was to resume

I seems (to me) that it'd be smoother and faster to be able to just click down the list with the NEXT word selected and on only exit, have a "Rechecking ..." step

-------------------

As an aside, none of the items below are biggies, but I thought I'd mention them

1. With a word selected ('_59when') and (CAPTURE.JPG) just typing a letter ('h') NOT using [Filter], the main word list does not scroll, but the suggestions do (CAPTURE2.JPG) which makes it hard to see what would be changed

Using the [Filter] both windows scroll, so it's a minor inconsistency

2. If the Count = 1, then [Show next occurrence] is not applicable, and should be dimmed or inactivated maybe?

3. [Undo last change] rechecks entire book (or so it seems). Maybe just un-do the specific replacement?

4. If you want to replace a misspelt word with nothing by clearing the suggestion, you get an Index error

--------------------------------------------------------------
calibre, version 2.71.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IndexError</b>:list index out of range

calibre 2.71 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 5, 1) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && EpubMerge (2, 0, 14) && View Manager (1, 3, 2) && Hyphenate This! (0, 0, 8) && Manage Series (1, 2, 8) && EpubSplit (2, 2, 0) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 2) && NormComment (0, 0, 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\boss.py", line 976, in word_change_requested
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\spell.py", line 1135, in do_change_word
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\spell.py", line 761, in replace_word
IndexError: list index out of range
-----------------------------------

You can't select the first word in the suggested list to put it back; you have to select the second word first, and then the first word

Again, there is a workaround, so it's definitely not a show stopper, but programmer oriented error messages are always a little confusing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	152855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	152856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	152857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	152858  

Last edited by phossler; 11-07-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is the way it has to work. Remember that this is not a spell check in a plain text file. So when scanning for errors, calibre has to parse the html and store locations for misspelled words only between html tags and in some types of attributes, such as title and alt. That means that in order to present accurate counts and allow jump to location on double click, the book has to be rescanned if you edit outside of the spell check tool. So dont do that. Put the spell check window to one side and look at the words in context, but actually make corrections only in the tool.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

1. will be fixed

2. It's a lot of complication for very little gain. It can only be grayed out when the cursor is actually at the word. So its enabled/disabled state would need to be conditional on cursor position in the editor, not just the number of words.

3. is not worth the effort. For reasons I outlined in my previous post, undo-ing the last change without a rescan is a lot more work to implement than it would seem

4. Will be fixed -- although deleting words is not within a spell checkers design goals.
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard

I can break my bad habits (I hope) and change the way I use spell check

I 99.9% agree - no problems with 2, 3, or 4 as is. Rare occurrences or not worth the effort for minor benefit

#1 was just a minor observation

However, the disappearing highlight bar after entering a correction word or picking one from the suggested list really is a real chance for error and extra work

In CAPTURE3.jpg (post #3) an error (agoI) is highlighted (entry N), and the suggested word was taken (ago I) so entry N is deleted from the misspelled words section and the highlight bar disappears

The suggested words section now shows suggestions for what was N-1 (AGL), but AGL is not highlighted (CAPTURE4.jpg)

It would more logical (to me at least) instead of going backwards, that the editor highlight what was N+1 (agonizing) and show it's suggested replacements
Old 11-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Will also be fixed.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Phoss
You are not alone using a mix of the Spell check dialog and making direct corrections on the current (visible) screen.
That is the nature of correcting OCR.
See (another) error, Fix error

The refresh only happens if you make direct changes. I agree,it would be nice if the focus could return to the approximate LINE COUNT position in the list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Will also be fixed.
Great!! - Thanks
Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Phoss
You are not alone using a mix of the Spell check dialog and making direct corrections on the current (visible) screen.
That is the nature of correcting OCR.
See (another) error, Fix error

The refresh only happens if you make direct changes. I agree,it would be nice if the focus could return to the approximate LINE COUNT position in the list
At least I'm in good company

Many, many times I'll start off looking at a word in the document that spell check caught, and either see another one with wiggly lines, OR a word that is in the dictionary but the wrong word that has to be corrected on the spot

Some misspelled ones are obvious and I could correct by picking from the Suggestions
Old 11-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Many, many times I'll start off looking at a word in the document that spell check caught, and either see another one with wiggly lines, OR a word that is in the dictionary but the wrong word that has to be corrected on the spot
- and grammatical blunders.

Is there any way to see the list of ignored words for a 'book'?

The context menu has an option for Ignore/Unignore all selected words, but there is no way of knowing which words have been Ignored.

If the word list had a column for 'Ignored', as it has for 'Mispelled', one could sort on it.

Could we have a keyboard way to get from the spell checker to the current CV tab and back again,-that's the only time I have to use the mouse when spell checking.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-08-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: grammar :)
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #12
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Is there any way to see the list of ignored words for a 'book'?

The context menu has an option for Ignore/Unignore all selected words, but there is no way of knowing which words have been Ignored.

If the word list had a column for 'Ignored', as it has for 'Mispelled', one could sort on it.
Well, you can know which words have been ignored...while session is still open. If you uncheck "Show only misspelled words" (that's not the exact name, but I'm too lazy to check), the misspelled column marks ignored words. You can't sort on it, but you just have to scroll.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
the misspelled column marks ignored words. You can't sort on it, but you just have to scroll.
@MerlinMama - you can sort on the 'Misspelled' column by clicking on the column header, you have to click twice to get the mispelt words to the top.

But I think you've helped identify a bug.

With "Show only misspelled words' checked, if you Ignore one word in the list, and then uncheck 'Show only misspelled words' the 'Misspelled' column for that word will show as "Ignored'

However, if you Ignore multiple words with with "Show only misspelled words' checked (as I do with Proper Names), the words do not show as "Ignored' when 'Show only misspelled words' is unchecked. Yet those words don't appear when "Show only misspelled words" is re-checked

BR
Old 11-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #14
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
you can sort on the 'Misspelled' column by clicking on the column header, you have to click twice to get the mispelt words to the top.
Oh, I meant you can't sort that column FOR ignored words, just misspelled or not.

Quote:
However, if you Ignore multiple words with with "Show only misspelled words' checked (as I do with Proper Names), the words do not show as "Ignored' when 'Show only misspelled words' is unchecked. Yet those words don't appear when "Show only misspelled words" is re-checked

BR
I either misunderstand what you mean here, or it doesn't do that to me. I will sometimes ignore a whole screen full of words I don't consider misspelled (Proper names or otherwise). If I then uncheck 'Show only misspelled words', they are marked as Ignored for me (I just tried it).
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Oh, I meant you can't sort that column FOR ignored words, just misspelled or not.

I either misunderstand what you mean here, or it doesn't do that to me. I will sometimes ignore a whole screen full of words I don't consider misspelled (Proper names or otherwise). If I then uncheck 'Show only misspelled words', they are marked as Ignored for me (I just tried it).
Strange, I'm sure the list of proper names I ignored only showed a tick in Misspelled. I just tried a different book on this laptop and it's OK. Maybe I used the wrong Alt+ key sequence, although 'I' is a long way from 'D', 'N' and 'C', and I would have seen effects of using the wrong Alt key sequence.

My primary use of the unchecked 'Show only misspelled words' list is with filters, '-', '?', 'When' etc. I can only recall wanting to see the ignored words once, and that was a couple of days ago. I spotted an obviously misspelt proper noun in the CV panel, then several minutes later, when I was ready to 'look at it', I couldn't recall what it was, but I knew I would have ignored it.

Added : I think can recall seeing the proper nouns I'd flagged as ignored showing the word 'Ignored' soon after the editor spell checker was released. I thought it was in a separate column, it must have been in the 'Misspelled' column.

I'll check it again when I'm at my desktop. "Ignored", sorts after nothing and before "tick", which is probably why I missed it, I looked at top and bottom but not in the middle

The mispelt proper noun was Carkozy rather than Sarkozy :lol:

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-09-2016 at 09:28 PM.