Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Humble Bundle - Mad Bundle DRM Protected

As my title says the Mad Bundle that Humble Bundle is currently offering is DRM protected because you are forced to use Magzster to view them. I did a cursory look over the site and saw that most magazines are priced at near physical copy price for what is basically an unlimited rental. When this site goes down all content you have purchased will be gone. I really wanted to grab this bundle but as it stands I am glad I only payed a buck for the first tier as I do not see myself ever bothering to use Magzster as there online viewer stinks and I do not install single store apps on my devices unless I know I will use them often. They used to have a Windows app but that is no longer offered.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
well that's disappointing.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2016, 02:01 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The fact that the magazines required the use of a specific app was very clearly stated in the offer. It really shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-05-2016 at 03:48 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:38 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that the magazines required the use of a specific app was very clearly stated in the offer. It really shouldn't have come as a surprise.
If such an app was exactly as they said it was: "Read them anywhere. These magazines are available via Magzter, meaning you can read them any time on iOS, Android, web, Kindle, and more." you might have a point.

Then you have to go to the Magzter website to find out it's not everywhere. No Windows at all. Just ios and android.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 AM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
That Magzter website itself doesn't even work in Firefox on Windows. The kind of crap website which, after I have allowed script after script after script in NoScript, still looks utter shite and isn't really usable. They certainly don't want me as a customer.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
My biggest problem is that until recently the Humble Bundle was DRM free. Now with this and the Playstation bundle they are tying you into one marketplace. I can understand the Playstation tie in but there is no way can I accept DRM for this one. You should be getting PDF versions of these as they have done with all the Comic and Book bundles. I have and will never buy digital content that I cannot use anywhere I want to except Steam. The only reason I deal with Steam is they are super cheap with there sales and I can have multiple computers running the game and a lot of them sync the game data for you. They have proving over a 6 year period to me that they are a trustworthy company and they offer features that makes the DRM a non issue for me. Magazines, Books and Music should never be DRM'ed. Watermark, add a non removable metadata tag or whatever else you need to track down the original owner in the case of piracy but do not lock me into your platform. That is an automatic deal breaker for me.

HarryT this was the reason I only paid for the first tier. I wanted to test out Magzter to see if I could deal with the DRM imposed on me. If I can not at the very least use the content on my chosen platform, Windows 10 computer and tablet then no matter how cheap the bundle is it not worth it. This looked to me to be one of the best Humble Bundles as I love Mad Magazine and to get a boat load of back issues and a one year digital subscription for $15 would be amazing if not for the DRM restrictions.

Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately virtually all magazines are tied to apps. I guess you have to decide whether the offer price makes up for the penalty of having to use an app. The only point I was making was that the fact that access was via an app was specified in the offer, so it's not as if it should have come as a surprise to anyone. I completely appreciate that you would prefer a PDF file (so would I!) but that's not what's on offer.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If such an app was exactly as they said it was: "Read them anywhere. These magazines are available via Magzter, meaning you can read them any time on iOS, Android, web, Kindle, and more." you might have a point.

Then you have to go to the Magzter website to find out it's not everywhere. No Windows at all. Just ios and android.
Quote:
Unfortunately virtually all magazines are tied to apps. I guess you have to decide whether the offer price makes up for the penalty of having to use an app. The only point I was making was that the fact that access was via an app was specified in the offer, so it's not as if it should have come as a surprise to anyone. I completely appreciate that you would prefer a PDF file (so would I!) but that's not what's on offer.
I don't do the Humble Bundle, so I'm just going by what Sweetpea wrote above, but if they actually *did* say that this available via the "web, Kindle, and more" then it's definitely deliberately misleading if it's not available as a PDF. It's definitely not available for the Kindle ebook readers, and according to the Amazon App store, it's not available for the Fires, either.

Whether or not they specified that it was an "app", saying that the magazines could be read any time on "web, Kindle, and more" is untrue.

Also, Harry, the statement that "virtually all magazines are tied to apps" may be true, but they are mostly also available to read in a browser. Go to zinio.com All of those magazines are tied to apps for IOS or Android, but they are also available to read in a web browser, which means I can read them on my laptop or desktop, or they could be read on a Linux computer, or they could be read on my Fire, even though they aren't available from the official Amazon App store. That is truly able to be read anywhere.

If I had paid for this, I would ask for my money back due to false advertising.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Also, Harry, the statement that "virtually all magazines are tied to apps" may be true, but they are mostly also available to read in a browser. Go to zinio.com All of those magazines are tied to apps for IOS or Android, but they are also available to read in a web browser, which means I can read them on my laptop or desktop
I'm pretty sure that this one can be read in a web browser, too. It certainly says that it can. The app is available for the Kindle Fire from: http://www.magzter.com/kindlefire.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-05-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that this one can be read in a web browser, too. It certainly says that it can.
I am certainly not going to bet on that when even their website doesn't work for me.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Perhaps Red can tell us.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Except Mad Magazine is more of a comic book in format, not a magazine.

But either way, both comics and magazines can be released as a PDF.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Except Mad Magazine is more of a comic book in format, not a magazine.

But either way, both comics and magazines can be released as a PDF.
Technically, yes of course they can. I subscribe to an Egyptology magazine which is available in PDF format. In this case though, given that the publisher has chosen not to make it available in PDF, it's a moot point. You either go with the app, or do without.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Falcon View Post
My biggest problem is that until recently the Humble Bundle was DRM free. Now with this and the Playstation bundle they are tying you into one marketplace. I can understand the Playstation tie in but there is no way can I accept DRM for this one. You should be getting PDF versions of these as they have done with all the Comic and Book bundles. I have and will never buy digital content that I cannot use anywhere I want to except Steam. The only reason I deal with Steam is they are super cheap with there sales and I can have multiple computers running the game and a lot of them sync the game data for you. They have proving over a 6 year period to me that they are a trustworthy company and they offer features that makes the DRM a non issue for me. Magazines, Books and Music should never be DRM'ed. Watermark, add a non removable metadata tag or whatever else you need to track down the original owner in the case of piracy but do not lock me into your platform. That is an automatic deal breaker for me.
But some of the previous game bundles were available through Steam, weren't they?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
The surprise is that Humble Bundle is now peddling DRMed non-games.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote