Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
have your page loading got slower when tapping

I've had my Kobo Glo HD for about four months now and I'm really happy with reading on it. I have so far about 80 books.

But now I've noticed that every page turn have started to take longer time when tapping the screen, about 2 seconds. However, when sweeping, it goes faster and seems more normal.

Anyone experienced this and anyone knows how to speed up the page turn again when tapping?

I'm running 3.19 and have only epub files on it.

Last edited by marp68; 08-22-2016 at 09:50 AM.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've seen it happen with certain books.

I think the slow tap response compared to the fast swipe response is because with a tap the software has to check whether there is a link in the tap zone that it should follow, or else turn the page; whereas a swipe always means turn the page and so no check for links has to be done.

The books that I've noticed being especially slow are ones that have huge internal files (i.e. extremely long chapters, or the publisher has put multiple chapters in one file, or files with a very complicated internal structure that can result from automated conversions from formats such as PDF) and they get slower and slower the further you get into the chapter/file.

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-22-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: ... or files with a very complicated internal structure
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You might also try restarting the Kobo.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I've seen it happen with certain books.

The books that I've noticed being especially slow are ones that have huge internal files (i.e. extremely long chapters, or the publisher has put multiple chapters in one file, or files with a very complicated internal structure that can result from automated conversions from formats such as PDF) and they get slower and slower the further you get into the chapter/file.
Interesting. Didn't know that this could effect the response. Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Interesting. Didn't know that this could effect the response. Thanks
As a test of this, I have a thirty chapter book with about 500 pages. The code in the book is clean, there is a h2 for the chapter heading and paragraph tags for each paragraph. And rules separating sections. Each chapter is in a separate file. It works nicely all the way through.

I created two other versions. One I merged several chapters into one file to have different sized internal files. For this, the page turning slows down as the files get bigger and you get further through the file.

For the other version, I merged all the chapters into one file. It works, and at the start it turns pages reasonably quickly. But towards the end of the book, the page turns take several seconds.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2016, 04:01 AM   #6
marp68
Addict

This is good news, since it seems that it at least doesn't have to do with my specific device, but more of a general problem depending on how the books are generated. Thanks for testing, since I don't know how to reconstruct books. I've seen some differencies depending on for example between books, where in the book or chapter I am etc. Though it's hard to compare when time frame is short anyway. Either there seems to be a need of better structured books or devices with more power. Probably we'll see the latter...

This winter I will try to learn more about the book codes, structuring etc. Seems like a good thing to know. Right now I prefer to be outside, reading, in the nice late summer weather we have over here....
Old 08-23-2016, 05:02 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I created two other versions. One I merged several chapters into one file to have different sized internal files. For this, the page turning slows down as the files get bigger and you get further through the file.

For the other version, I merged all the chapters into one file. It works, and at the start it turns pages reasonably quickly. But towards the end of the book, the page turns take several seconds.
This is my experience as well. KindleUnpack can create epubs like that; AZW3s are pretty often like that internally. Kindles are less susceptible to the effect or do not suffer from it at all, it seems.

I have taken to using the Quality Check plugin to look for them (Epub Structure -> Oversize HTML Files) and do an epub-to-epub conversion to fix them.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As a test of this, I have a thirty chapter book with about 500 pages. The code in the book is clean, there is a h2 for the chapter heading and paragraph tags for each paragraph. And rules separating sections. Each chapter is in a separate file. It works nicely all the way through.

Is it easy to check which of the three my book is? Very clean, several chapters merged into one file or all chapters merged into one file? And is it easy and goes quick to clean it up a little?

Ah, sorry didn't see the next post. Is the way to go, to use "the Quality Check plugin to look for them (Epub Structure -> Oversize HTML Files) and do an epub-to-epub conversion to fix them"?

Tried the QC but it only found one book with oversized HTML files, and not the one I'm reading. So, maybe it's not that.

Last edited by marp68; 08-23-2016 at 11:54 AM.