Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
[FALSE] 80,000 Amazon Login Credentials Leaked

https://www.hackread.com/amazon-suff...curity-breach/

"HACKER LEAKED 80,000 AMAZON KINDLE LOGIN CREDENTIALS BECAUSE THE COMPANY WOULDN’T RESPOND TO HIS SECURITY REPORT! A hacker going by the online handle of 0x2Taylor has claimed to breach the servers of electronic commerce giant Amazon ending up leaking login credentials of 80,000 users. ... When they first got Kindles and set them up, all their stuff was being logged and put into a database that includes a user’s email, password, city, state, phone number, zip code, user-agent, LastLoginIP, Proxy IP and street. ... This is not the first time when Amazon had their server breached. In November 2015, Amazon started sending out emails to its users asking for a quick password reset, the reason was a possible breach of some of the users’ credentials. Though Amazon has its own bug bounty and vulnerability reporting program yet it is unclear why the firm did not respond to the hacker."
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Another posting on this...
http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/...on-server.html

Quote:
I reached the Security Researcher at the Cylance SPEAR Team Brian Wallace (@botnet_hunter) for a comment:

... SNIP...

Based on this evidence, I believe the data released is not representative of actual Amazon users, but instead this information was generated. It is not clear whether this information was generated by the individual who released the information, or if it was generated by a third party, and that information was then obtained by the individual who released it.
So was it a real breach or???
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The article suggests not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The article seems to criticize Amazon for not paying $700 to prevent the release of the data. Personally, if I understand this situation correctly, I think Amazon was right. Paying blackmailers just invites more of them.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The article seems to criticize Amazon for not paying $700 to prevent the release of the data. Personally, if I understand this situation correctly, I think Amazon was right. Paying blackmailers just invites more of them.

Barry
Paying blackmailers who made up data and blackmailed you with stuff that isn't even blackmail-worthy, doubly so. (Is fraudulent extortion a worse crime than extortion?)
NullNix is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Expecting a large company to react to something in less than 3 days is also somewhat unrealistic. This was not at all a professional way for someone who claims to have discovered a security hole to behave; the way that "Branch Delay" handled the situation is an exemplary example of how to do it right.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I use 2-factor authentication with my Amazon account, so even if someone manages to get your password, they still can't login to your account unless they have the specific token generated and sent to your phone. I recommend everyone to set this up on your accounts.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I use 2-factor authentication with my Amazon account, so even if someone manages to get your password, they still can't login to your account unless they have the specific token generated and sent to your phone. I recommend everyone to set this up on your accounts.
How does one do this?
Old 08-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How does one do this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201596330
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201962420

But, I don't know if it's available on Amazon UK yet.

An earlier workaround for the UK...
http://www.techworld.com/security/ho...y-now-3631955/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Brian. No, it's not officially available on Amazon UK, and I'd rather not try to fool Amazon's systems when it comes to account security.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
This thread is no more that Propaganda! And the PTB should DELETE the Whole thread.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This thread is no more that Propaganda! And the PTB should DELETE the Whole thread.
Well then why don't you report it instead of saying the PTB need to delete it.
And I haven't seen any PTB here. I have seen a few mods.

Should I ask what a PTB is? Anything close to the PTL which my tablet wanted to write?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #13
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Well then why don't you report it instead of saying the PTB need to delete it.
And I haven't seen any PTB here. I have seen a few mods.

Should I ask what a PTB is? Anything close to the PTL which my tablet wanted to write?
I believe it's the "Powers That Be" - i.e. the Mods.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
I believe it's the "Powers That Be" - i.e. the Mods.
I was thinking Pink Teddy Bears.
Though it is possible I have been on here too long today.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Well then why don't you report it instead of saying the PTB need to delete it. ...
I think somebody wants to PTB to the PTBs.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote