Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Water cooler

Hi guys.
This is for any VERY off-topic thoughts.
First thought is how can I make sure all my cookbooks are cataloged. Note, most of them are in a Google sheet. I only need either 14 or 38 more to reach 1K cataloged.
I neglected that poor database for nearly a year.
Ideas anyone?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Have a large family gathering.
Make notes of the "I always loved your xyz, why didn't you make it?" questions.
That should tell you which cookbooks you couldn't find.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2016, 12:46 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Do you mean you were entering them by hand into a Google sheet? I'd suggest starting over using barcode scanning. It should be much quicker that way.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Do you mean you were entering them by hand into a Google sheet? I'd suggest starting over using barcode scanning. It should be much quicker that way.
Thanks for trying.
I don't have a Barcode scanner and that would work on less than 50% of the books.
Most are either pre-1970 or fundraiser cookbooks.
I tried an app once. Out of 200 books, it found less than 50.

Now I did discover tap to speak on my tablet so it is going faster.
The good news is I have 4 shelves that hadn't been added to. Most of those are pre World War 2.
Now you have me curious as to how many have bar codes.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Thanks for trying.
I don't have a Barcode scanner and that would work on less than 50% of the books.
That certainly throws a spanner in the works. Back to the hard yakka I guess.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I decided just to take it one shelf at a time.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Uhh...?? Why would you want to do such a thing?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Thanks for trying.

Now I did discover tap to speak on my tablet so it is going faster.
The good news is I have 4 shelves that hadn't been added to. Most of those are pre World War 2.
Now you have me curious as to how many have bar codes.
First of all, let me congratulate you on an excellent thread. I love threads that state from their birth that they are for off-topic thoughts. I feel safe in such threads, as my thoughts naturally seems to wander, especially as other people's comments seem to constantly trigger the most offbeat connections in my mind.

I don't know if you've tried it, but the goodreads app on my iPad seems to have one of the best book code scanners around, but as you say, it doesn't do very well on the old style barcodes. Surely they must have a free app that works with android tablets if you'd care to try it. It might possibly do what your current one can't.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
First of all, let me congratulate you on an excellent thread. I love threads that state from their birth that they are for off-topic thoughts. I feel safe in such threads, as my thoughts naturally seems to wander, especially as other people's comments seem to constantly trigger the most offbeat connections in my mind.

I don't know if you've tried it, but the goodreads app on my iPad seems to have one of the best book code scanners around, but as you say, it doesn't do very well on the old style barcodes. Surely they must have a free app that works with android tablets if you'd care to try it. It might possibly do what your current one can't.
The problem is most bar codes in books and not on the dust jackets are within the last 20 years. Most of my collection is way older than that. A few are over a century old. And most are at least a half of century. I think there are some photos on Facebook.

Feel free to hijack this thread.