Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
peterkobovox
peterkobovox began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis, voyage, nook glowlight plus, kobo aura one
Oasis Separate Charging Cover

I wonder if anybody is thinking about buying a spare oasis cover (original charging cover), I am thinking that extra battery life in the spare cover can be good backup
peterkobovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkobovox View Post
I wonder if anybody is thinking about buying a spare oasis cover (original charging cover), I am thinking that extra battery life in the spare cover can be good backup
Amazon don't sell spare covers, do they? Hence the issue doesn't arise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon don't sell spare covers, do they? Hence the issue doesn't arise.
I hope it will arise in the future -- with more color choices.

I'd buy one if there was a way to charge it by itself. Actually, more than an extra cover, what I'd really like is for some sort of dock (from Amazon or anyone else) to charge my existing cover.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can get a dock with spare cover: it is called Kindle Oasis. Only $289.99!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #5
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can get a dock with spare cover: it is called Kindle Oasis. Only $289.99!
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkobovox View Post
And this is what makes the Oasis such a brilliant decision by Amazon.

Deliberately cripple the device's battery so that not only do folks have to buy the bundled cover to make up usual battery life, but some even consider handing over more money for a second battery case
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
And this is what makes the Oasis such a brilliant decision by Amazon.

Deliberately cripple the device's battery so that not only do folks have to buy the bundled cover to make up usual battery life, but some even consider handing over more money for a second battery case
Why do you regard it as crippled? The Oasis has the longest battery life of any frontlit Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why do you regard it as crippled? The Oasis has the longest battery life of any frontlit Kindle.
Because the device has only 6-7 hours battery life. The cover houses the rest. Since they've made it so easy to take off the cover, some people will lose it and will have to purchase replacement covers unless they're willing to be stuck with a device that has the shortest battery life of any ereader of late.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #9
disconnected
Fanatic

Mine has not been getting a consistent six or seven hours from a full charge (from a power strip; the cover doesn't even maintain a consistent level of anything close to a full charge on the Oasis). I'd love to hear about any testing other people have done.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sounds to me the Oasis will be used as a Docking device to keep covers charges & Not as a Reader. Poorly thought out by the developers IMO

disconnect there is a tread about battery life : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=274170
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds to me the Oasis will be used as a Docking device to keep covers charges & Not as a Reader.
Why would you do that? The only use for the charge in the cover is to charge the Oasis.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Huh, the Oasis as a package is working exactly as it is suppose to for me. They are a team, the device and the cover. If you don't like that kind of system, then the Oasis is not for you. Period. My Oasis has not ever run out of battery since I had it. That is because I am using the Oasis package, which includes the cover, the way it was designed. Might not be for everyone, but that is why there are plenty of others kindles around.
When I am done with a reading session, it goes in the cover. It tops it off a bit, I grab it out and continue reading. I do not look at the 2 parts as separate, they are a package.

I would expect in future to have the covers sold separately.

For my use, the design is perfect. Makes the reading part of the Oasis light and shaped perfect and uses the other part to top of the battery.

Others read it always in the cover, I read it out the cover always.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
disconnected
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Huh, the Oasis as a package is working exactly as it is suppose to for me. They are a team, the device and the cover. If you don't like that kind of system, then the Oasis is not for you. Period. My Oasis has not ever run out of battery since I had it. That is because I am using the Oasis package, which includes the cover, the way it was designed. Might not be for everyone, but that is why there are plenty of others kindles around.
When I am done with a reading session, it goes in the cover. It tops it off a bit, I grab it out and continue reading. I do not look at the 2 parts as separate, they are a package.

I would expect in future to have the covers sold separately.

For my use, the design is perfect. Makes the reading part of the Oasis light and shaped perfect and uses the other part to top of the battery.

Others read it always in the cover, I read it out the cover always.
I think I'll have to re-orient my thinking somewhat to match yours.

I'd originally thought that as well as using it the way you describe I could also put it in a lighter-weight (and possibly more protective) third-party cover when I was going to be carrying it around. I'm finding that the amount of time I get from the Oasis battery isn't consistent enough to trust it without having the cover nearby just in case I need it.

I'd thought about exchanging it but I haven't yet seen enough in-depth reviews of the Oasis battery behavior to even be sure that mine is actually atypical.

Meanwhile I've been reading the bare Oasis at home. The screen and the ergonomics are easily the best I've ever experienced and I've realized that I'm already too attached to it to want to risk an exchange. I'm just going to accept the fact that it won't leave the house without its charging cover.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?

Now we know why its called the oasis. You can venture out on a reading expedition in the desert, but soon enough you'll be crawling back for more juice.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #15
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The Oasis has the longest battery life of any frontlit Kindle.
Actually, the KPW1 has longer battery life. My KPW1 lasted 13.5 hours with light full blast, almost 48 hours with light level 10 and 49.5 hours with light off. These only count reading time, not the time when the device is put to sleep. I challenge everyone to make their Oasis last that long under the same condition.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote