Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
jlark
Enthusiast
jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
Type-friendly e-ink device?

Hello people. Help me find this device please?

The "must have"s:
- it's sunlight readable. That means it's either e-ink or (wishful thinking) transflective;
- it's Linux-based. (Android is very much ok);
- must have root access;
- it has a large screen, at least 8 inches. 10+ would be even better;

The "should have, but i could live without":
- supports USB OTG. Highly preferable, otherwise must support Bluetooth keyboard;
- it's developer-friendly (i know...);
- fast refresh rate;
- high resolution;
- frontlight; speakers; audio out; card reader; (something else?)
- powerful CPU, lots of RAM;
- great build quality etc.

So far I've found these somewhat promising:

PocketBook InkPad:
- pros: good quality, good specs, high resolution;
- cons: does not support OTG (officially, I contacted support); hackability unknown.

Onyx BOOX i86:
- pros: Android, OTG, might be more hackable;
- cons: somewhat lesser quality than the InkPad, bad frontlight.

Onyx BOOX M96:
- pros: same as the i86, plus large screen;
- cons: no frontlight, low resolution.

I know this has been approximately asked before, but I could not find a definitive answer. I guess it's somewhat of the holy grail we've all been waiting for.

Any pointer is much appreciated.
jlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
jlark
Enthusiast
jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.jlark shines like a glazed doughnut.

Or wait for the Boox Max? This seems to be the holy grail indeed.

[sorry for the bump, there seems to be no edit post button]
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
djrichard
djrichard began at the beginning.

Device: 8.5 x 11 android e-ink would be ideal
There's a good discussion on the M96 supporting an external keyboard over at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=242238

Seems support of wired keyboards can't be validated. But support of bluetooth keyboard seems to have validation.

Edit: I remember seeing a post in a different thread where somebody weighed in on which devices were actually usable vis-a-vis using an external keyboard. Some of them seemed to have so much lag/delay that it was pointless. Unfortunately, can't find that post.

Last edited by djrichard; 03-30-2016 at 12:24 PM.
djrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlark View Post
Or wait for the Boox Max? This seems to be the holy grail indeed.

[sorry for the bump, there seems to be no edit post button]
There is one, but you'll need to make a few more posts before you see it. It's an anti-spam measure that new members can't edit their posts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
jlark
Enthusiast

Hey, thanks for the reply, I wasn't expecting this post to get any attention after so long.

I was already set on getting the Boox Max. (The only reason I didn't pre-order it yet is I'm in the process of getting a VAT number.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrichard View Post
There's a good discussion on the M96 supporting an external keyboard over at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=242238

Seems support of wired keyboards can't be validated. But support of bluetooth keyboard seems to have validation.
Hmm, it only worked for Booxtor and then for nobody else. It's rather unsettling that Booxtor never replied, neither on the forum nor on youtube, more so than its not working anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrichard View Post
Edit: I remember seeing a post in a different thread where somebody weighed in on which devices were actually usable vis-a-vis using an external keyboard. Some of them seemed to have so much lag/delay that it was pointless. Unfortunately, can't find that post.
The T68 in the video above seems almost decent. I'd expect the Max to be the same.

I'm thinking with an editor configured to "just display" the characters, with no animations / transitions, it should be bearable. How I'd make that editor be my favoured editor is a different story, but Booxes seem to be somewhat hack friendly.
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
icarus' decent
icarus' decent began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx
Was waiting on the i86 to come into stock but cons: somewhat lesser quality than the InkPad makes me hesitant. I am certainly no epert in the eReader field, but it seems to me, that everything above 6" comes with cevats - and it's a pick your poison deal (a relativley high price and being hard to source being the only constant). I wouldn't mind this if there was an ideal device, but amongst the three 8" devices I am considering - it's a trade off.

Last edited by icarus' decent; 03-30-2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling + additional
icarus' decent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
jlark
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus' decent View Post
Was waiting on the i86 to come into stock but cons: somewhat lesser quality than the InkPad makes me hesitant.
I have to say I'm not sure how much that statement holds true, since it's based solely on online research. I think this was what caused the statement at the time.

At this point I was set on an Onyx device, because OTG and Android, and they seem to be quite hackable. Of course, OTG is apparently off the table now, see djrichard's post above.

Tough times for those of us fed up with the dreadful light emitters.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlark View Post
I have to say I'm not sure how much that statement holds true, since it's based solely on online research. I think this was what caused the statement at the time.
That review is very harsh.

I have i86 and i don't think front-light is bad or splotchy. I am also a very critical user and front-light is one of the most important aspects. I read at the 1st or 2nd lowest brightness level, where splotchiness should be more apparent but fornt-light is good to my eyes. I also own H2O for reference, which i think has the best front-light
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
djrichard
djrichard began at the beginning.

Device: 8.5 x 11 android e-ink would be ideal
Here's the post I was trying to remember where somebody weighed in on delay issues when typing with an external keyboard: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...65&postcount=8
djrichard is offline   Reply With Quote