Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Possible to see which epub files on PC are returned library books w/o opening each?

I don't know if this is just a Sony thing or if it's the same for all epub readers/software. If it turns out to be just Sony, moderators please move to appropriate forum.

Until recently I hadn't had a reason to look in the folder on my PC (Windows 7) where epub files were stored. I have now discovered that when I return an Overdrive library epub using the Sony software, the book disappears from the Sony program but the actual epub file is not deleted from the computer. These epubs are still in a folder on my PC, mixed in with my purchased books which are still active and viewable in the Sony software.

In the future I will plan to delete each library book's file once I've returned the book. However, for now I have a LOT of these returned/expired epub files and I would like to get rid of them.

The only way I know to determine if a file in the PC's epubs folder is a returned/expired library book is to go into the folder and try to open an epub file. If it's a returned book, I get an error message. If it's an active book, it opens in the Sony software. Unfortunately, it would be quite time-consuming to do this for each individual book as there are a few hundred files in this folder!

Does anyone know a way to determine if an epub file on the PC is an expired file without actually trying to open it?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
It works the same way with Adobe Digital Editions and library books. I started always making sure I delete the book when I return it to the library.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My experience with ADE and Library books is that it shows how much time is left on the loan or the word Expired when the loan is up. Then it's relatively easy to right click look each Expired book and select the delete option.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The only way I know to determine if a file in the PC's epubs folder is a returned/expired library book is to go into the folder and try to open an epub file. If it's a returned book, I get an error message. If it's an active book, it opens in the Sony software. Unfortunately, it would be quite time-consuming to do this for each individual book as there are a few hundred files in this folder!

Does anyone know a way to determine if an epub file on the PC is an expired file without actually trying to open it?
None that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My experience with ADE and Library books is that it shows how much time is left on the loan or the word Expired when the loan is up. Then it's relatively easy to right click look each Expired book and select the delete option.
That doesn't actually delete the book file though, just removes it from the library screen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
you could try the file date as a way to cut down. for instance, if your default loan period is 2 weeks, then you know that anything older than 2 weeks would have expired already.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
you could try the file date as a way to cut down. for instance, if your default loan period is 2 weeks, then you know that anything older than 2 weeks would have expired already.
Except remember, his purchased books are mixed in with the expired loans.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I agree with Peter. If you open ADE, the expired books are there (not removed, of course, but that's what the OP wants). At the bookshelf, without trying to open there.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My current idea is to print a list of the epub files in the directory on the PC and compare against the files in the Sony Reader for PC software - anything that's on the PC but not showing up in the Reader software is probably safe to delete. This will still take a while but would be faster than attempting to open each individual file.

I wish I'd known when I first started reading library books that they don't get deleted, I would have started deleting them myself way back then!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
With ADE, the problem is even worse.

ADE not only keeps the file in its own program directory, but there's a second copy in the system temp folder.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
It's really poor design that ADE puts your purchases and loans in the same folder, then does not remove the epub when the loan expires. Also it only uses the book title for file name. Bad doggie.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
With ADE, the problem is even worse.

ADE not only keeps the file in its own program directory, but there's a second copy in the system temp folder.
Not that I've ever seen.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm using ADE 1.7.3 so I don't know if later versions work exactly the same way ...

When I download a book the .epub file is stored in "My Digital Editions/" and a record is added to "My Digital Editions/manifest.xml". When I delete a book the record is removed from manifest.xml but the .epub file remains.

So to see if an .epub file is from a deleted book, check if it is mentioned in manifest.xml. E.g. on Linux this command run from within "My Digital Editions/" will list all the .epub files that belong to deleted books:
Code:
for F in *.epub; do grep -q $F manifest.xml || echo $F; done

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-25-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling of manifest.xml
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I'm using ADE 1.7.3 so I don't know if later versions work exactly the same way ...

When I download a book the .epub file is stored in "My Digital Editions/" and a record is added to "My Digital Editions/manifest.xml". When I delete a book the record is removed from manifest.xml but the .epub file remains.

So to see if an .epub file is from a deleted book, check if it is mentioned in manifest.xml. E.g. on Linux this command run from within "My Digital Editions/" will list all the .epub files that belong to deleted books:
Code:
for F in *.epub; do grep -q $F manifest.xml || echo $F; done
The Sony manifest file seems to have retained xml's for every book I've ever read
Old 02-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #14
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not that I've ever seen.

Should have clarified. Using ADE 2.0.1 on Windows 10.

The 2nd copy of the file appears in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\Digital Editions

The first part of the path corresponds to the %TEMP% environment variable. On my machine, this has been the program's behaviour since ADE 1.7 on Win XP.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Jeff L

IMHO Anything left in that Temp is subject to cleanup
(does the Windows cleanup tool find those?)
You might check the folder permissions, they may be incorrect and the program can not clean up after itself
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote