Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
pecuchet
pecuchet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Aura HD doesn't start - Solved by changing SD card

I've had a sort of bricked Kobo Aura HD for some time now. It run out of battery with nickel on and I haven't been able to turn it back on. I've had it plugged, I've tried the pin reset and the power/light buttons reset. When I try to power it on the LED tuns on for about 10 seconds.
I think it had fairly new versions of both Kobo firmware and KSM.

Does anybody have any idea of what happened or how can I bring it back to life?

Last edited by pecuchet; 02-06-2016 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Changed title
pecuchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Have you charged it overnight? You may need to try a different wall charger for a number of hours, to try and effect the charging, as it adapts a little to what it is fed. It is unlikely that KSM could cause such a problem.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
How did you know that the the battery run out? What is on the screen now? What colours did the led show when you tried the power/light button reset?

Are you certain that the screen has not broken?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #4
pecuchet

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I charged it for long periods of time the past weeks.

I'm not saying it got bricked because of KSM, but it happens to be installed.

Maybe I'll have to ask for an SD card image to try to flash it.

I've been putting aside trying to fix the reader because I don't have much time or expertise, but I found myself looking to buy a new one today because I miss it and thought it's probably better to fix it if it's within my means.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
pecuchet

I just assumed it ran out of battery because that's what usually happens to me.

The screen wasn't broken, but I can't rule that out because I have a little girl a bit too adept at throwing things.

The LED goes the usual white.

On the screen it shows 'Sleeping', the cover of the last book I read, and '99% read'.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by pecuchet; 02-04-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Adding info
Advert
Old 02-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is concerning is that you can't use the buttons to do a "Factory Reset". That is a pretty low level hardware boot function. It should work, under almost any situation.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My first guess was that you successfully did one or several factory resets, but that you were not aware of it, because the screen substrate is broken, and therefore there were no changes on the screen.
But ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecuchet View Post
The LED goes the usual white.
If I remember correctly, the led goes also red, blue and green during a factory reset. Therefore, I am not so sure what really is happening.
Try to inspect your screen for uncommon patterns. You can find some images of broken screens on this forum, if you do not know how they look like.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
pecuchet

The screen looks fine, but there is a slight bruise on the bottom right corner that I hadn't noticed, so that might be it.

It doesn't look very difficult to replace, and it can be bought from China, but for 85€ which is expensive considering I'm not sure the screen is the (only) problem.

Thanks for your help, I'll try to change the threat title to reflect reality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160204-P2040586.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	146059  

Last edited by pecuchet; 02-05-2016 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Resize and attach image
Old 02-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
tshering
Wizard

I think the screen does not look broken. Maybe people with more experience can tell better.

Last edited by tshering; 02-04-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Your image is too big, max is 600x600 for images imbedded in the post. The Aura HD doesn't have colored lights, it does blink faster when starting the factory reset.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

E-Ink "bruise" looking similar to yours can be caused by magnets but it's not permanent damage, goes away with refresh.

It's odd to not have the display at least refresh on poweron/reset; by all means try replacing the SD card.

As for photos you shot yourself, you should just Attach them to your post.

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-04-2016 at 06:27 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I've tried the pin reset and the power/light buttons reset. When I try to power it on the LED tuns on for about 10 seconds.
Did you make sure the device was off before the factory reset? The power/light button combo only works if it is off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #13
pecuchet

The LED does not blink and it hasn't since the freeze. Having performed some factory resets, I would have noticed.

I don't know that the device is off, but having tried so many times it should have happened by chance. Maybe something keeps it on?

I opened the device yesterday and disconnected the battery. Upon reconnection the LED turned on for about 10 seconds.

I'll try to reflash the SD card. Should I start another thread asking for an image?

Thanks to all for your replies.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The LED does not blink and it hasn't since the freeze. Having performed some factory resets, I would have noticed.

I don't know that the device is off, but having tried so many times it should have happened by chance. Maybe something keeps it on?

I opened the device yesterday and disconnected the battery. Upon reconnection the LED turned on for about 10 seconds.
All that tells me you haven't followed the factory reset steps correctly. And with the way the device works, there is not going to "happen by chance". The steps are:

- Charge the device for at least an hour.
- Hold the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds.
- Hold the light button down and turn it on.
- When the LED starts to flash, or the screen changes, release the light button.

If it doesn't work, try again, but hold things a bit longer.
Quote:
I'll try to reflash the SD card. Should I start another thread asking for an image?
That's the one thing you shouldn't do. There is thread for the requests for each device model. But, as it is being discussed, this is the appropriate place. And, I have sent you a PM with the link.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 AM   #15
pecuchet

Quote:
All that tells me you haven't followed the factory reset steps correctly. And with the way the device works, there is not going to "happen by chance".
I'm pretty sure I've gone through the motions correctly many times, and still no blinking LED.

Quote:
That's the one thing you shouldn't do.
Sorry to sound dumb here but, should I not try to reflash the SD card or should I not start a new thread? I'll assume it's the thread, since you sent me the link, thank you.

Last edited by pecuchet; 02-05-2016 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Reformulation of a stupid question.