Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #1
Manilse
Manilse began at the beginning.

Device: none
Android device, buy now or wait for next generation?

I am considering buying a e-reader with Android. Currently I'm favoring the Energy Sistems Ereader Pro+.

But as I read various articles I see that android devices are still virgin technology, and they all seem to have their issues (mostly software related). I do see myself as a more than average technically interested person, and do think I'd be able to get it set up to my liking, but it may be nice to not have to do the tweeking.

So, I'm wondering if you think there will be a development and new readers being released in the near future which will be more streamlined and working out of the box. Or is android e-readers always going to be a niche product with a minimum of product development put into it?
Manilse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You haven't said what you want it for.

For a straightforward 6" e-reader to read with, I see no reason to wait.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2015, 04:36 AM   #3
Manilse
Manilse began at the beginning.

Device: none
I mainly want an e-reader to read on, and since the norwegian libraries now have an android app with a lot of titles in it it will be useful to have a device with android.
In addition I like the idea of beeing able to shop books where it suits me.
Manilse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most ereaders read ePub format (except Kindles), and so you can buy books for them almost anywhere, without a special app.

Also, I advise against buying an ereader that no one has ever heard of. Buy a name brand.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manilse View Post
In addition I like the idea of being able to shop books where it suits me.
I'm not sure about the app Norwegian libraries use? But in terms of being able to shop where it suits you, I think using Calibre (and adding Alf's tools) to convert your books between formats is the best solution to being able to shop where it suits you.

It also means you can choose the best ereader rather than pick one that can use apps. Unless of course you don't mind the shorter battery life and want to root it, flash custom ROM's etc as that's obviously the big attraction for some people.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
android, developement, energy sistem, ereader