Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Fire Phone FireOS update: 4.6.3

I'm guessing this may have to do with patching the 'stagefright' security issue (or at least I hope so!), but the web page that might explain further is not there yet.

I think we were at 4.6.1 before.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
Breathinlady
Zealot
Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire HD,HD6,10HD,2 Fire Phones iPod touch, iPad3, Nexus 10
Not yet for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm guessing this may have to do with patching the 'stagefright' security issue (or at least I hope so!), but the web page that might explain further is not there yet.

I think we were at 4.6.1 before.
Just check on my phones and I am still at 4.6.1 do you get an update?
Breathinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathinlady View Post
Yes, it came last night for me. I'd just plugged it in for a charge.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
OK I see No mine hasn't up dated to the 4.6.3 yet
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can anyone post a link to amazon update page? I finding everything but
Advert
Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathinlady View Post
My phone updated yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Can anyone post a link to amazon update page? I finding everything but
Amazon hasn't posted the new update yet. The update page still shows 4.6.1.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

YESSS It has! I downloading it now! Thanks TM

I went thru the email MR sends me when some one post . It showed 4.6.3 update... BTW I did it on my phone!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 07-29-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:43 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I called Mayday (my first call!), and asked them what they could tell me if Fire Phone was vulnerable to StageFright exploits, and unfortunately they did not know the answer. Apparently I am the first person to ask about it.

I talked to three different people as I worked through the support layers. The last person assured me that 'this is not Android' but, well, it kinda really is. Of course Fire Phone has a Messaging client presumably written by Amazon, and that might provide some prophylactic protection (in actuality, an infected video does not need to be delivered by messaging, but that is the worst-case scenario as user has no defense short of turning the phone off and keeping it off). The issue is with Android's media playback module, which I can imagine Amazon has simply adopted for Fire OS as otherwise they'd need to develop (and test) their own. So at this point, I assume there could still be a problem.

I encouraged them to look into it and perhaps let their customers know that it is not a Fire Phone problem, you know, just another reason to get a Fire Phone because of its superior security features as compared to Android. Or obviously, get a patch out ASAP if it is susceptible.

I forgot to remind them to update the Fire Phone updates page with some details about 4.6.3. I have not noticed any changes, so it is probably the usual 'bug fixes and performance enhancements'.

Needless to say, Fire tablets would have the same media playback module, though they don't have a messaging client to deliver an exploit in such a hacker friendly way.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-30-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
No update for me.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I just got the update to 4.6.3 last night. Everything seems to be fine so far.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Well 2 out of 3 of our phones just got the update. So the 3rd follows the beat of a different drummer. Since that kid leaves wifi on all the time, it will download at some point, I'm sure.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon is on the list of vendors which are 'affected' by Stagefright issue (Zimperium is the group that discovered it):

http://blog.zimperium.com/how-to-pro...vulnerability/

So we hopefully will get an update for Fire Phone and Fire tablets to fix this. More of an issue for the former, as they have SMS.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just got the update pushed through. No one seems to know what was fixed.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:39 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

My FP just updated to 4.6.3, again. The build number is '463001420' (don't know what it was before, but I assume it was different). This time there is a description: 'The latest software version includes bug fixes.'

In case anyone is wondering, one of the fixes in 4.6.3 apparently was to fix Stagefright media component vulnerability (which theoretically allowed someone to send an SMS message with an infected video and get access to your phone). I downloaded the 'Stagefright Detector' app following the previous 4.6.3 update and it reported 'Not Vulnerable', and still does following this one.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My FP just updated to 4.6.3, again. The build number is '463001420' (don't know what it was before, but I assume it was different). This time there is a description: 'The latest software version includes bug fixes.
This update went from 463001420 to 463001620.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote