Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
borelli
borelli began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20
Pocket 'Download all' greyed out - any ideas?

Hi, strange issue, wondered if anyone else seen it?

In Pocket, 'Download all' is now permanently greyed out. Pocket syncs, but can't download the articles in bulk.

I can tap on each article to download, but I wanted to download all 5gb to the device, it's the reason I bought it. I'd logged out some time ago in order to lend it to someone, and it has just been updated to the latest firmware.

Any ideas?!
borelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You have 5GB of articles? As the Aura H2O has about 3.4GB of internal memory available to use, disabling "Download all" would make sense as it can't download them all.

Or is the "5gb" a typo?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
borelli

Hi, nope not a typo! 5gb. I have a 16gb memory card in the H20, it was all working fine until recently, I suspect it may be a bug in the new firmware update but it's maddening and Kobo support doesn't seem to be the best
Old 07-21-2015, 04:00 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
How many articles is 5GB worth? And how do you know that is how much space they take?

Was it working on an older firmware? If so, it could be a bug or it could be a deliberate change. Limiting the space used to less than what the device is designed for could be deliberate. Plus, the number of articles involved might exceed the limits of the internal database that contains details of them.

But, there are some things you could try:

- Restart the device
- Sign out of Pocket, restart and sign in again
- Sign out of your Kobo account and sign in again to it and Pocket. This will lose the status of all books, but it will reset a lot of things.
- Factory reset and return to the firmware version it work with. Drastic, but if it solves your need...
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
borelli

Thanks, I will look into downgrading the firmware as a temporary solution. I wasn't aware this was possible. I tried the other options but no luck.

It has been working perfectly until now, the device is designed to fill as much memory as you have on the system, which in my case is close to 20gb, and the card had around 5gb of that used

It's not a lot of space when you've been using the service for nearly five years. I use Pocket as my primary reading service for journalism and research. Until now, the Kobo has been a dream device because it saves eye strain.

thanks I'll try the firmware thing
Advert
Old 07-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
A few H2O owners here have opened their H2o and installed larger internal uSD card. H2O is harder to open because water proofing than other Kobo readers and it is no longer waterproof.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81#post3130281
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Wait. The H2O has an expandable memory slot. Why would anyone want to swap out the internal memory?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Wait. The H2O has an expandable memory slot. Why would anyone want to swap out the internal memory?
Because they can, is reason enough for some. It is their property to use and modify any way they want.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
good point.

best wishes koboy.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Because they can, is reason enough for some. It is their property to use and modify any way they want.
I realise that. There's no reason to be snarky.

I hoped there was a different answer to "Because I can" that I was missing.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I realise that. There's no reason to be snarky.

I hoped there was a different answer to "Because I can" that I was missing.
I believe some have found it was faster/more stable to read the books off a larger internal SD card rather than reading from an expansion port SD card. If you dig around you should find a few threads discussing it. The advantages may have decreased over time with newer firmware.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
saturnspike
saturnspike began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I've got a Kobo Glo HD and have the exact same problem - the "download all" option just plain doesn't work. Seems very clearly to be a software bug. Kobo support has been less than helpful. I got the device specifically for the Pocket integration so I've tried just about everything to fix it - removing the Pocket account and readding it, syncing with different options (only show articles that are downloaded on then off), hard reset - I haven't tried a factory reset and downgrade yet but I guess that's next.
saturnspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
borelli

Glad to know someone else is in the same boat! Was yours working before the recent firmware update?

I haven't been able to tell precisely when this happened since I loaned it to a friend, but it was certainly fine a few months ago.

Let's just keep hassling them! Do let me know if you find some more direct contact to real tech support. I've only been able to get through to a general customer service rep who knows nothing, then an email saying they'll get back to you, then nothing, call again, same again...

On another note it baffles me they don't market it more on the Pocket integration, it is literally the only device on the market which has proper sync, read later services are very popular. When it's working properly the Kobo is the ultimate magazine / newspaper archive
Old 07-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #14
saturnspike
saturnspike began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I just got it yesterday and it auto-updated as soon as I turned it on so it was broken for me from day one.

Their support seems pretty clueless for me too - they've been reduced to copying and pasting their documentation to me which I've already followed, and they're not paying attention to what I'm writing or the pictures/screenshots I'm providing.
saturnspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #15
borelli

Yeah... this is the downside of rooting for the 'little guy'. If this were the same issue on Kindle it'd be solved quickly, and you'd at least feel you were talking to people who understood the issue with their own product! Wish Amazon would just partner with Pocket or Instapaper.

I've just received an email update stating the issue has been escalated to upper management, and acknowledging it as a firmware issue. Seems hopeful but who knows. I'll keep you updated!

Tags
h20, kobo, pocket app