Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Curiosity! Dan Brown → brown, dan!?

Note upper-/lowercase. (It has nothing to do with a possible bad internet connection.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan Brown is brown, dan.png
Views:	297
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	136568
Dan Brown → brown, dan

Name:	Dan Brow is Brow, Dan.png
Views:	267
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	136569
Dan Brow → Brow, Dan
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Bad book metadata is still bad metadata.

Calibre READS book Metadata AS SUPPLIED (unless you have chosen to use filename ONLY)

If the Publisher or User, hand edits the fields

I recently has a multi-author book in (Authors}, only show the first listed Author in {author_sort}

The Metadata Editor (MDE) allows you to make ANY changes. Even absolute nonsense ones as long as the SYNTAX is correct
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You're saying, that lowercased author_sort values still match, even though you expected the case difference to fail them?
Well, that matches my expectations... and it is what calibre does.

Note: You can override the "correct" author_sort values.
Tag Browser ==> Authors ==> right-click ==> Manage Authors
Recalculate all author sort values, or manually type one in.
These will be used to determine if a specific book should show in green (correct) or red (warning).

This value may have been accidentally changed at some point.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I completely missed that the issue was that of Green Flagging

The match-up rules are probably case insensitive
Old 03-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I already said, no they aren't.

Quote:
Well, that [(should be flagged case-sensitive)] matches my expectations... and it is what calibre does.
Hence my theory it has been overridden in Manage Authors.
Advert
Old 03-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Bad book metadata is still bad metadata.

Calibre READS book Metadata AS SUPPLIED (unless you have chosen to use filename ONLY)
AS SUPPLIED from the Manage authors page? What/where I can chose to use filename?

Name:	brown, dan.png
Views:	220
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	136577

Quote:
If the Publisher or User, hand edits the fields
Before I didn't wrote anything in that list.

Quote:
The Metadata Editor (MDE) allows you to make ANY changes. Even absolute nonsense ones as long as the SYNTAX is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You're saying, that lowercased author_sort values still match, even though you expected the case difference to fail them?
Well, that matches my expectations... and it is what calibre does.
??? Experts together!

Quote:
Note: You can override the "correct" author_sort values.
Tag Browser ==> Authors ==> right-click ==> Manage Authors
Recalculate all author sort values, or manually type one in.
Recalculate all author sort values in Manage authors → OK.
... or manually type one in → in Manage authors unpossible, only in MDE, then shows red flag.

Name:	red flag.png
ID:	136578
It don't change the input in Manage authors (still brown, dan)

Quote:
These will be used to determine if a specific book should show in green (correct) or red (warning).
Obviously! Is/can be there a reason for such a handling?

Quote:
This value may have been accidentally changed at some point.
Possibly, but as I mentioned before: Not from me!

The matter is resolved in essence. Thank you both!

The match-up rules are probably case insensitive
reciprocated by
As I already said, no they aren't.
We are not amused

Easy English, please!

Name:	You must spread some reputation around before giving it to ....png
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	136579
No Karma. @theducks the same!?

Last edited by chaot; 03-30-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: add Easy English, please!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Manage authors allows you to declare custom sort values, useful for non-English languages where the rules are not the same as English.
That way, if you enter an author by clicking a cell in the main view and using the F2 key, the author_sort value is entered correctly. Also, in Metadata Edit, you can quickly tell based on the color, if everything matches.
Manage Authors does not update the per-book values. Those must be reset by hand as well (you can do that from Bulk Edit Metadata, just select all books and press "E" for "Edit Metadata").

As far as karma goes -- you have to give to three other people before you can give to someone a second time. Some people find it easy to give karma for practically anything, and never suffer this problem -- it is the thought that counts. You're welcome.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quick reply to Karma - instead!

Name:	Reputation.png
Views:	180
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	136582

Reduce (fine-tune) ... But add something goes also well. Otherwise I would ask me how to get with some 1000 posts millions of karma points!?

Some people find it easy to give karma for practically anything ...
Oh no, I am not of that kind.

... it is the thought that counts.
This will be a lousy matter (for your karma points) if you always answer.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

But you can reduce the amount you give. I never bother, if I appreciate something I give them everything I've got.
The default value is your maximum influence, which works for me.
I have a lot of influence, I like to think because I've been a good influence.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-30-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Manage authors allows you to declare custom sort values, useful for non-English languages where the rules are not the same as English.

Name:	Manage authors.png
Views:	302
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	136643
Where I can do what?

Quote:
That way, if you enter an author by clicking a cell in the main view and using the F2 key, the author_sort value is entered correctly.

Name:	calibre main view.png
Views:	331
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	136646
1) The author is already there.
2) Which cell I have to click?
3) Using the F2 key results only in a less light to completely darkening screen.

Quote:
Also, in Metadata Edit, you can quickly tell based on the color, if everything matches.
Yes and No!

Views:	272
ID:	136647
Correct Author sort shows red.

Quote:
Manage Authors does not update the per-book values.
Is that what you mean: Whether I edit a book by an author in Edit metadata individually or more books with Edit metadata in bulk edit in relation to the writing of the author: Manage Authors page does not accept the changes. Yes or No!?

Quote:
Those must be reset by hand as well (you can do that from Bulk Edit Metadata, just select all books and press "E" for "Edit Metadata").
What is to reset or do I want to reset anything at all?

All I wanted is that in Edit Metadata the Author sort entry shows the same upper/lower case than the Author(s) entry.

And the only way to realize that is: Recalculate all author sort values in Manage Authors

Last edited by chaot; 03-31-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:48 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
Attachment 136643
Where I can do what?
Right there, in Manage authors. You can edit the author_sort values, as "master" values.

Quote:
Attachment 136646
1) The author is already there.
2) Which cell I have to click?
3) Using the F2 key results only in a less light to completely darkening screen.
F2 is the default single value metadata edit shortcut key. The highlighted cell should start looking like this (you can also double-click the cell):

Name:	calibre-edit-metadata-cell.png
Views:	182
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	136657

Since there is no author_sort cell, calibre auto-calculates the author_sort value, using the value in Manage Authors.

Quote:
Yes and No!
Attachment 136647
Because according to the Manage Authors rules, it doesn't match, I guess.

Quote:
Is that what you mean: Whether I edit a book by an author in Edit metadata individually or more books with Edit metadata in bulk edit in relation to the writing of the author: Manage Authors page does not accept the changes. Yes or No!?
Edit Metadata uses whatever you type in. There is an arrow button pointing from the Author to the Author Sort, which will set it based on the rules in Manage Authors.

Quote:
What is to reset or do I want to reset anything at all?

All I wanted is that in Edit Metadata the Author sort entry shows the same upper/lower case than the Author(s) entry.

And the only way to realize that is: Recalculate all author sort values in Manage Authors
In Bulk Edit Metadata, you can select "Automatically set author sort" which will use the values saved in Manage Authors.

Manage Authors is a book full of rules, what authors should look like.
Like the way The Chicago Manual of Style is a book full of the rules of writing... but if you put the ebook on your ereader, it doesn't change all your books to match the rules.

Edit Metadata says what the author/author_sort is for any particular book. Red indicates that you should take a second look, since it doesn't match Manage Authors.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #12
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quoting a previous quote is possible only manually, a handicap. MR was probably not intended for extensive discussions.

Preferences -> Advanced -> Tweaks -> Author sort name algorithm
Help
ID: author_sort_copy_method

The algorithm used to copy author to author_sort
Possible values are:
invert: use "fn ln" -> "ln, fn"
copy : copy author to author_sort without modification
comma : use 'copy' if there is a ',' in the name, otherwise use 'invert'
nocomma : "fn ln" -> "ln fn" (without the comma)
When this tweak is changed, the author_sort values stored with each author
must be recomputed by right-clicking on an author in the left-hand tags pane,
selecting 'manage authors', and pressing 'Recalculate all author sort values'.
The author name suffixes are words that are ignored when they occur at the
end of an author name. The case of the suffix is ignored and trailing
periods are automatically handled. The same is true for prefixes.
The author name copy words are a set of words which if they occur in an
author name cause the automatically generated author sort string to be
identical to the author name. This means that the sort for a string like Acme
Inc. will be Acme Inc. instead of Inc., Acme

# Author sort name algorithm
author_sort_copy_method = 'comma'
author_name_suffixes = ('Jr', 'Sr', 'Inc', 'Ph.D', 'Phd', 'MD', 'M.D', 'I', 'II', 'III', 'IV', 'Junior', 'Senior')
author_name_prefixes = ('Mr', 'Mrs', 'Ms', 'Dr', 'Prof')
author_name_copywords = ('Corporation', 'Company', 'Co.', 'Agency', 'Council', 'Committee', 'Inc.', 'Institute', 'Society', 'Club', 'Team')

I'm not sure I understand KG. This can be caused by insufficient knowledge of English.
But surely this write assembly does not promote understanding.

Quote:
Right there, in Manage Authors. You can edit the author_sort values, as "master" values.

Name:	Manage authors.png
Views:	290
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	136674
Is that by klicking Copy all author sort values to author? Author sort Aakjær, Jeppe would then get copied to Author as Aakjær, Jeppe? And the same for all of Author sort entries. I do not trust myself to try this out.
Why I do ask explicit? That would namely be a disaster - or at least connected for re-conversion with some workload.

Quote:
F2 is the default single value metadata edit shortcut key.
F2 key doesn't function (the way you mean) with me. Or not with Spanish keyboards.

Quote:
The highlighted cell should start looking like this (you can also double-click the cell):

Name:	edit Author(s) direct in calibre main view.png
Views:	283
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	136676
This is with me the same.
But I may correct you: Double click opens the book in view mode.
You mean: Mark with single click a line in calibre main view - second single click makes the wanted entry space (eg Title, Author, Tags) editable.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes and No!

Views:	164
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	136669
Because according to the Manage Authors rules, it doesn't match, I guess.
Or the other way around.

Name:	brown, dan.png
Views:	296
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	136678
brown, dan (starting thread)
When I changed in EMD Author sort to Brown, Dan it showed red because it doesn't match with the Manage Authors entry, which was then brown, dan.
Click OK in EMD with a red Author sort entry doesn't change the Manage Authors entry. (tested) Puuh!

Quote:
Quote:
Edit Metadata uses whatever you type in. There is an arrow button pointing from the Author to the Author Sort, which will set it based on the rules in Manage Authors.
You mean something else. The answer is clear: Yes (tested)

Quote:
In Bulk Edit Metadata, you can select "Automatically set author sort" which will use the values saved in Manage Authors.
Lets test it. I changed in Manage Authors with Change case to UPPER CASE.

Name:	UPPER CASE.png
Views:	175
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	136679
BROWN, DAN

Name:	EMDB-crossed.png
Views:	184
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	136680
EMD in bulk, crossed "Automatically set author sort"

Name:	EMD-Author sort-BROWN, DAN.png
Views:	175
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	136681
EMD → Author sort entry→BROWN, DAN
You are right.

Quote:
Edit Metadata says what the author/author_sort is for any particular book. Red indicates that you should take a second look, since it doesn't match Manage Authors.
As we did now!

The Chicago Manual of Style I will have a look inside after.

Thanks for your patience!

Last edited by chaot; 04-01-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

F2 (Puts a Single SPREADSHEET field into edit mode)
I have the tweak set to ONLY allow F2 to edit the spreadsheet field as double clicking was my bane
Old 04-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
Attachment 136674
Is that by klicking Copy all author sort values to author? Author sort Aakjær, Jeppe would then get copied to Author as Aakjær, Jeppe? And the same for all of Author sort entries. I do not trust myself to try this out.
Why I do ask explicit? That would namely be a disaster - or at least connected for re-conversion with some workload.
I would use the "Set author sort from author" option, which will take "Dan Brown" from Author and put "Brown, Dan" into Author Sort.

Quote:
F2 key doesn't function (the way you mean) with me. Or not with Spanish keyboards.
Possibly a language effect.

Quote:
Attachment 136676
This is with me the same.
But I may correct you: Double click opens the book in view mode.
You mean: Mark with single click a line in calibre main view - second single click makes the wanted entry space (eg Title, Author, Tags) editable.
True. Although you can set different settings in Preferences. I did, and forgot it wasn't default.

Quote:
Or the other way around.
Attachment 136678
brown, dan (starting thread)
When I changed in EMD Author sort to Brown, Dan it showed red because it doesn't match with the Manage Authors entry, which was then brown, dan.
Click OK in EMD with a red Author sort entry doesn't change the Manage Authors entry. (tested) Puuh!
Correct. It disagreed with Manage Authors.
And clicking OK in Edit Metadata simply saves the data in red to the book itself, but it will still be in red until you correct the entry in Manage Authors.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-01-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Tags
author sort, edit metadata, manage authors