Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Sovrin
Sovrin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo refuses to Factory Reset

My Wife's Kobo Touch is having what I consider a very strange issue, it is almost as if it is stuck in the same state.

I have tried the Home Button/Power Button Reset. I have tried the System Information Factory reset, and I have tried the pinhole button on the back. None of these force a factory reset. Even if I try to use the Kobo's Sync Function, it will download any new books, and firmware update, and even supposedly try to install it.

No matter what we do, if we power off or even just put the kobo into sleep mode, it returns to the previous state as if we never synced it, or tried to update firmware.

Lastly I tried to manually update the firmware by downloading the firmware, extracting it into the .kobo folder and powering off the kobo and powering it back on. It just returns to the library and the .kobo folder no longer has the update in it.

Really not sure where to go from here.
Sovrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Once you put the KoboRoot.tgz file into your device's .kobo directory, you need to safely eject the device, in windows and disconnect the USB cable. Then you should see an "updating" message on your kobo device. You should not poweroff your device until the updating is finished.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Sovrin

I have done so, it does not start updating automatically, it just goes back to the library page like nothing happened.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Sovrin

You add a bit more explanation to this, it is fully usable, but nothing new can be added, and nothing can be removed. It's almost like it is frozen in this state.

If I try to sync it up, it shows the right date for sync, and all new books get added. The moment it is entered into sleep mode/turned off, everything that was synced is gone and the "Last date sync'd" is back in 2014 again.

I am not inept when it comes to technology, but this one just seems...so odd.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovrin View Post
I have tried the Home Button/Power Button Reset. I have tried the System Information Factory reset, and I have tried the pinhole button on the back. None of these force a factory reset.
When you did the home/power button reset, did you hold the power button down for 10-20 seconds 1st, then release it, press and hold the home button and use the power button to power it on? If you don't hold the power button 1st the device might not be truly "off".

If you've done that it's possible you have hardware issue and part of the memory is corrupted and not saving you updates. It's strange that it's not retaining anything new or allowing a reset.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Sovrin

When I did the home/power reset, I made sure it was turned off first, not sleep mode. I've tried the home/power reset on multiple occasions just incase it was a weird issue. It actually comes up, says "restoring" and then it just turns back on to the library.

Yeah it's very strange, it feels like any updates or changes are being stored on like...temporary memory.

Device is over a year, so warranty is not possible. Was thinking of pulling the battery for awhile.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
I have done so, it does not start updating automatically, it just goes back to the library page like nothing happened.
Hmm... it is not sounding like any of the usual problems, to be as functional as you describe but to not do a proper update or keep returning to an older database.

What I would try is a new internal uSD card and a good image (Davidfor in the Developer's Corner might be willing to help with that). I would suggest a Sandisk or Samsung uSD card. There have been memory issues that were corrected by installing a new internal uSD card. The basic instructions and tool links in this guide should help.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-03-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #8
Sovrin

Thanks for all the help, I will take a look at this and see what I can do now. Appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
When I did the home/power reset, I made sure it was turned off first, not sleep mode.
The holding the power button for 10-20 seconds is a Kobo recommendation, so I would take it that an extended hold may kill any lingering processes if something doesn't shut down right (even though the screen may show powered down). That's why I suggested it.
Failing that, Ken's suggestion would be what I'd be trying next.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote