Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 AM   #1
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Smile Light and dark bezels -- your take?

Just yesterday I picked up an iPad Air 2, and I went for the silver model. I actually didn't pay attention to the bezel color (purchased it online) and "assumed" that, like the iPad 2, the silver model would have a black inside. Well, it does not, it is Apple white. So much for spontaneous purchases with essentially no research!

So when it arrived, my first thought was, "This goes back." All my tablets and e-readers have had black bezels. But since it's already here and I won't get it to the post office before Monday anyway (over here, anything purchased online can be returned within 14 days, seller pays for return shipping too), I have been using it a little ("I don't like you, but you're new and shiny, so I play with you anyway"), just to see how I'd feel about it.

A few hours in, I'm starting to wonder if the white-ish bezel (looks better in person than in photos) isn't actually easier on my eyes, no matter what I believed was logical (black bezels becoming "invisible" to the eye, less distraction, etc). The colors don't "pop" as much as on my black tablets, but especially when looking at web pages with light background, which make the majority of sites I visit, and e-books with a daytime color scheme, it "feels" more comfortable, though less spectacular. I'm generally not hot on reading on backlit devices, and now I wonder if the black bezels are part of the reason. However, I may be rationalizing here because I'm lazy and I don't want to send it back and wait a week for my money.

Anyway, I was curious what your experiences are with dark and light bezels, especially if you have used both. I speculate that a medium grey would probably be the best, but those don't seem common, at least not for tablets. Is it all just preference and what you're used to, or are there any more objective aspects?

Last edited by Mivo; 01-23-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
On tablets it doesn't much matter: the light output of the screen overwhelms any bezel contrast effects. Especially on the larger models.
On eink, though, the low screen contrast compared to the bezel will be more noticeable.

They really are different creatures.

As to the bezel contrast effects, they are real but taste dependent.
Some people wrap light ropes around their TV screens to minimize it or go to hacker route to copy the old Philips Ambilight tech, while most people don't care or don't watch TV in dark rooms.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambilight

Me, I prefer flat black on my mobile devices strictly as a matter of taste.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-23-2015 at 08:10 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Dark; and if it isn't dark, I'll skin it dark.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I definitely prefer a black bezel on my TV, since it blends in with the unused parts of the screen if I'm watching something with an aspect ratio other than 16:9. I guess the same would apply occasionally to a tablet if you use it to watch TV or movies, but the main uses of a tablet will probably have light backgrounds, which will blend better with a light background, maybe. The black ones will always look better when they're off, though.

So, for me, TV: black, tablet: not too bothered, eink: no real preference; grey, if anything.

It so happens that all my current devices are black or dark grey, and none of them bother me at all.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I definitely prefer a black bezel on my TV, since it blends in with the unused parts of the screen if I'm watching something with an aspect ratio other than 16:9. I guess the same would apply occasionally to a tablet if you use it to watch TV or movies, but the main uses of a tablet will probably have light backgrounds, which will blend better with a light background, maybe. The black ones will always look better when they're off, though.
I share this opinion. My iPad is black because I use it for video content and photos. I think the colors look better. I do love the Apple white color. My iPad Mini is white because I use it for reading, and I like the way the white border blends in with the page background so it's less distracting. I have had both white and black iPhones, and I like the white one best.

I am less opinionated on eink. I have had both white and black. I usually end up with a decal skin on it. I am more sensitive to how shiny/reflective the bezel is on eink readers rather than color. I prefer matte to glossy finish.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I prefer black. I thought I was going to get white/ivory/gold, but when I actually went to buy, I found I preferred something more understated and that would blend more with photos/video (and I like to read white on black a lot of the time). I find iOS7/8 is far too white as is is. Wish there was a 'night' theme, and a way to knock down the white brightness of web pages and so forth. Well there is 'reversed color' mode but that's too weird.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
same as interior design - the eye gets drawn to contrast. if your main content page is going to be light-coloured (like an eink page), then a white(ish) bezel will make the device look larger and the text won't feel boxed in, and the text will be the thing that stands proud. if you read mostly against a dark background (like i do on my tablets), then a black bezel is better.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I prefer black bezels for both e-readers and tablets, preferably matte finished. A matte bezel is not available on tablets, but my cover covers up that portion anyway.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Matte black for me on tablets and ereaders. I'd prefer it also on my TVs, but matte black finishes are very hard to find.

When I was first considering an ereader and I looked at the Nooks in a B&N store, they had that annoying shiny white bezel (they might still have it). Even though the text didn't have that shiny reflection, while trying to read I found myself constantly trying to tilt the reader to minimize the reflection from the bezel. Shiny just makes the white even worse to me on all devices.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I have both white and black bezels and hardly ever notice either color, whether the screen is dark or light.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I have both. I feel like the white bezel cheapens the device because you can see the edges sticking out of both the iPhones and the iPods, so they look a lot more thicker.

But otherwise I have no problem reading on it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
To bezel or not to bezel that is the question! I've never noticed any sign of anything interfering with my viewing text etc. on any of my Kindle devices.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Paperwhite Signature
No opinion on tablets, but for ereaders I like the light bezel.

I have a silver Sony PRS-505 along with black PRS-T3 and Kindle PW2. I find that on the 505 I can get away with using smaller page margins without feeling like I am crowding the page edge. On the black devices I get uncomfortable if the text is right up against the edge of the screen. I think I somehow interpret the bezels of the device as page margin somehow.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If I have a choice, I'll always choose black, but I've had both and don't really notice the bezel.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Dark and with Buttons to turn pages.
Some of us are touch challenged (as well as liking to read one handed. The other hand is keeping the cat out of the field of view )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote