Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Aaida
Aaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-books

Device: To be decided!
E-Readers: What 's Hot for 2008 and Why??

Hoping some existing owners weigh in here!

I'm going to be purchasing an e-reader in the next couple of months, after month of salivating over the thought :þ

...I'd really love everyone to weigh in on what they love about theirs, or the one's that they've seen.
Personally, I'm interested in:

- something that's a decent size (portability's not something I need)
- user friendly interface and good looking design
- battery enough to last a day or two?
- decent amount of storage space
- supports pdf's and doc's
- wireless = nice
- easy to read / good contrast

- being able to change the font/justification of the text would be a bonus

- EVDO etc is not necessary. I'm in Australia and spend an ingloriously large portion of my day in front of the computer

...I'm an amazon addict, but I'm also tech savvy so I'd like something that can read Amazon's standard format (Kindle) or to be able to source a conversion program for them (is that possible??!)

Any thoughts on Sony's e-reader, the BeBook, the Kindle... or wait for the the 9.7" Astak Mentor?

Last edited by Aaida; 06-28-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Aaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I appologize, I misread the intention of the thread. Sorry.

--

* Decent size: iLiad or Astak (I dont know wether the 9,7'' Astak will be available today).
* Kindle ... as far as I know at least not legally
* Battery - yeah, thats where you are loosing the iLiad. My Sony lasts more then long enough (a couple of books) though, and I guess other Readers do as well
* Storage space - every reader I know supports some kind of card-interface - CF, SD, etc. Storage space shouldnt be a problem
* WiFi - iLiad, Astak, dont know if others support WiFi
* Font justification should AFAIK be possible on every device, or?

Last edited by tirsales; 06-25-2008 at 12:19 PM.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Your choices are really thin. Basically the Iliad. Hopefully in a year there will be better choices. I use the old Cybook 1st gen, with a 3 hour battery life and a 10" LCD screen. But it does not read .DOC's and does PDF quite poorly. It does HTML, RTF, TXT, PRC and some others.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaida View Post

I'm going to be purchasing an e-reader in the next couple of months, after month of salivating over the thought :þ

...I'd really love everyone to weigh in on what they love about theirs, or the one's that they've seen.

- something that's a decent size (portability's not something I need)
- user friendly interface and good looking design
- battery enough to last a day or two?
- decent amount of storage space
- supports pdf's and doc's
- wireless = nice

- EVDO etc is not necessary. I'm in Australia and spend an ingloriously large portion of my day in front of the computer

...I'm an amazon addict, but I'm also tech savvy so I'd like something that can read Amazon's standard format (Kindle) or to be able to source a conversion program for them (is that possible??!)

Any thoughts on Sony's e-reader, the BeBook, the Kindle... or wait for the the 9.7" Astak Mentor?
I love my Kindle. Design and function are perfect for my needs. However, it is my understanding that the Kindle is not avaiable in Australia, so despite your addiction to Amazon, while it might be what is perfect for you, it might not be what you want for practical considerations.

I do not believe there is or are any conversion programs that will convert the Kindle format to any other.

I can't give you any thoughts on the Sony, or any other ereader device. I compared them, decided the Kindle was perfect for me, and I haven't had a second thought about it.

So, in my opinion, Kindle = wonderful. Other readers = if they work and if you can get the books you want in a format that can be read on them, AND if they are available in your part of the world, then why not?
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
ePossum
Enthusiast
ePossum began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v.2, Dana Alphasmart
Quote:
This isn't just up to the device - it also is dependant on how the e-book itself has been formatted.

There was a thread started fairly recently in the "which should I but" part of the forum by another Australian (I think the title of the thread was something like "e-ink in the land of OZ") - the respones include some places you can go to actually see different e-ink e-reading devices in action. If you're able to do that, you might find that it helps clarify your thoughts about what kind of device is best suited to your reading habits.
ePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
Aaida
Aaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-booksAaida has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
*snip* However, it is my understanding that the Kindle is not avaiable in Australia *snip*
Yeah, I was incredibly disappointed about that when it first came out!

...but you can purchase them through eBay etc... Apparently you can download and load the books to it manually without any dramas, so the Kindle's still a viable option for me

Last edited by Aaida; 06-28-2008 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
lordmax
Enthusiast
lordmax began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Opus, cybook gen10, Palm LifeDrive, NetBookVaio, Kindle, Tolino
iLiad I supose

Hi

Quote:

Personally I can only suggest the iLiad.
Astak Mentor seem to grow in price and in release time, sigh
iLiad is larger than other and wifi and battery stand for over 2 books or 48 hours to me.
lordmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yeah, I was incredibly disappointed about that when it first came out!

...but you can purchase them through eBay etc... Apparently you can download and load the books to it manually without any dramas, so the Kindle's still a viable option for me
The Kindle is not an option for you unless you can supply Amazon.com an American credit card linked to an American address.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle is not an option for you unless you can supply Amazon.com an American credit card linked to an American address.
Or he buys it on eBay.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Or he buys it on eBay.

BOb
But, BOb, would the person buying the Kindle out of the country be able to buy books from the Kindle store without a US address and credit card?? I mean, it's all very well and good to be able to get the free prc files, and even to buy the non-drm prc or mobi files from some of the online stores, but not being able to purchase from the Kindle store would be (to me) a very big downside to owning a Kindle in another part of the world.

Mind you ... I think Amazon should make the Kindle available worldwide, even if the Whispernet is not. I would think that there are a lot of potential purchasers who would be quite happy to be able to download and transfer via USB. But then, I don't run the company and I'm quite sure they don't care what I think.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Some may prefer it similar to the ones that buy the Hanlin reader which has few if any commercial books available and with Igors fix they can even buy some mobipocket DRM books and use them on a Kindle. It is pretty competitively priced these days with other choices that don't include some of the features of the Kindle.

For example:
Dictionary support
AA audible file support
search capability
large SD cards
Keyboard
left/right handed use.
screen snapshot
notes

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #12
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Aaida, I suggest you take a look at http://www.dadirect.com/iliad/

DA Information Services is in Melbourne and has iLiads (both editions) and Cybook Gen3s in stock, along with all accessories/spare parts. DA also has HanLin V3.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:12 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
But, BOb, would the person buying the Kindle out of the country be able to buy books from the Kindle store without a US address and credit card??
No, they would not be able to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
But, BOb, would the person buying the Kindle out of the country be able to buy books from the Kindle store without a US address and credit card??
No, but I believe that purchaser would know that. They can still by Mobi books from Fictionwise once they get their Kindles' PID using Igor's scripts.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
Aaida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Or he buys it on eBay.

BOb
( *cough* ...actually... that would be "she" )

but neway...

You can manually 'register' a Kindle with amazon, you may/may not need a US address for to complete it *shrugs* (don't have one obviously, so I can't try it) I would have thought that they'd have to be able to cater for owners that travel outside of the US or relocate entirely
Kindle support will be released worldwide soon enough, though. i'll be able to cope with waiting for downloadable content if that's the reader I choose to buy... I'd probably be grumpy if I bought another e-reader when I had decided that I really wanted the kindle, and then the kindle gets itself released here! *grin* <18mths later

I've got a US postal address.. hey, and come to think of it a US c/card too!... that I'd be able to 'borrow' if it became totally necessary ) also though. Would seriously be in Royal Pain in the Ass territory