Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
haidarsara
haidarsara began at the beginning.

Device: sony psp
Looking for the most affordable ebook reader -

Hi all I am so glad I found this forum. I am currently living in the Middle East and desperately need a new ebook reader. I've been reading ebooks since the original Franklin Reader came out - it finally passed away about a year ago. Currently I am reading books off my son's Sony PSP. I am not looking for anything complex, just a simple reader to read in text format. I am not comfortable in paying for a reader like the Kindle or the Sony E-Reader that I have not personally seen. Max I would like to pay is $150. Later, when I travel to the states I will invest in a better reader and pass this one on to my kids.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Becky
haidarsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Well, there is the EBookwise-1150. The device, which is basically just a rebranded GEB1150, is basically obsolete... right down to the SmartMedia card slot. However at only 130USD new, it would be well inside your stated budget.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's exactly what I was about to suggest myself!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You could possibly find a used Sony-500 on eBay or similar for $150.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Well, there is the EBookwise-1150. The device, which is basically just a rebranded GEB1150, is basically obsolete... right down to the SmartMedia card slot. However at only 130USD new, it would be well inside your stated budget.
True, the technology is quite out of date. The SmartMedia cards are hard to find, and rather flimsy, so I essentially never remove mine.

On the up-side, the devices are still available new, and supported (we even had a firmware update recently), including new content on a regular basis. There is also software for converting unprotected files to the internal format.

Perhaps most important, given your price preferences, it is on sale at the moment. If you buy, do yourself a favor and get the SmartMedia card from them. As I said, it can be difficult to find.

www.ebookwise.com

I used to own the Sony 500-model suggested above. It did not fit my needs well, but it is a nice unit, and if you can get it for that price, a good buy.

Good luck with your search.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
also, no-one has mentioned so far, while it is obsolete technology and not e-ink, i think the ergonomy surpasses the current models ; it is really brilliantly designed, and highly functional. you may end up liking it so much you won't want to give it away...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
formulajay
formulajay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665262812

I stumbled upon this on the sony website a couple days ago. I see that they are selling refurbished PRS-500 units for 150USD. Unfortunately it says that the units are out of stock, and it has been out of stock since I saw it a couple days ago. Hopefully, this does not mean that they are not selling these refurbished units and are phasing them out because it is a great value for an e-ink device.

I do realize that the screen on the PRS-500 is not of the same quality of the newer generation PRS-505's, the Amazon Kindle, or the Bookeen Cybook Gen3, to name a few, but it does represent a value that is hard to beat.

I just placed an order for an Amazon Kindle, but I must say that I would probably be waiting for a PRS-500 had these been in stock ready for order from the Sony website on Friday when I placed my order.
formulajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Someone recently posted here about his experience with Sony repair service. He sent in his 500 for warranty repair but they didn't have any replacement units and sent him back a 505. So it seems they exhausted all stock of 500s and I doubt any more will appear on the site.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
also, no-one has mentioned so far, while it is obsolete technology and not e-ink, i think the ergonomy surpasses the current models ; it is really brilliantly designed, and highly functional. you may end up liking it so much you won't want to give it away...
Hi.
Well, that is a great device I'd agree and probably the most affordable with large screen that is very friendly to the eyes and acceptable battery life.
e-ink is a step ahead, though, the screen and its quality is simply luscious and a lot lighter than reb 1100/1150/ebookwise. I am not against LCD I find computer monitors, PDAs and readers very friendly to eyes (NOTE: without my contacts my eyesight is around 15% of normal but I can still read for hours in REB1100 or Hanlin V3 without eyestrain).

Don't get some e-ink device if you are satisfied with the ebookwise and can't afford it but they did it right with e-ink I think. And yes, I'd liked buttons to change pages on both left and right sides but the less weight is great advantage to ergonomics.

Anyway, the ebookwise or a used and in good condition rca reb1100/1150 is what I'd recommend for an affordable reader.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yes, iterati, you are right, the eb1150 does have some shortcomings (and even though i love it, i still dream of an e-ink screen !! that is one of the things i DON'T like about it). overall it is a brilliant device though, in spite of them. it's true however that because of the weight, i never take it out with me, only read it at home, which is frustrating. another reason i long for e-ink !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
archerwoo
Enthusiast
archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3;Ip4
LCD screen ebook reader seems low price
archerwoo is offline   Reply With Quote