Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Cleaning up my library and my library folder

I was keeping my Calibre library in dropbox and doing a lot of library cleanup. Somehow I managed to get into the following situation:

I had some books with missing metadata files, some with missing cover files, and some with missing book files. I also had more 75 books in my library folder then I had in my library. 73 more covers and 73 extra opf file. I also had some empty folders where the books had been deleted.

Is there a search that I can run in Caibre for missing covers? For missing book files? For missing opf files? While I am on the subject, is there a search to find books without descriptions?

Is there something I can run to clean up my library folder? I though having calibre move my folder to a new directory would do it, but I still had the extra 75 epubs.

Thanks.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@kaufman

books with no cover - search - cover:false
books with no book files - search - formats:false
books with no comments (description) - search - comments:false

Run both phases of Library Maintenance->Library Check - the second will tell you about discrepancies between the database and the folders - and some options to fix.

re missing opf files - the only way I know of to create new ones is to do a conversion - but there maybe something better so don't rush off down that rabbit hole before others get a chance to respond. Its something that maybe Check Library function could detect and correct

Oh, and there are a bunch of 'goodies' in the Quality Check plugin that do much of the above and lots of other stuff

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-25-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: note re QC PI
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Missing metatdata.opf ?

Someone has been playing under the skirts or letting a 'file cleaner' run amok

Never fear: run (from the Library Icon):
Library Maintenance: Library metadata backup status: click-Queue all books.

This takes quite some time to run. Just minimize and do other stuff.
The same place as the button shows the count remaining.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Missing metatdata.opf ?

Someone has been playing under the skirts or letting a 'file cleaner' run amok
Not necessarily. If I copy some books from library A to library B and then close calibre without opening library B then the books I copied to library B won't have any opf files. I only just 'discovered' this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Never fear: run (from the Library Icon):
Library Maintenance: Library metadata backup status: click-Queue all books.

This takes quite some time to run. Just minimize and do other stuff.
The same place as the button shows the count remaining.
I knew there had to be a better way

And the calibredb backup_metadata command will do the same thing but should be faster - http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibredb.html#

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-25-2014 at 04:29 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I was keeping my Calibre library in dropbox and doing a lot of library cleanup. Somehow I managed to get into the following situation:
FYI. You most likely know this, but for folks just tuning in when you run calibre from Dropbox you should pause syncing in Dropbox prior to running any feature that may change your database or books, IE. book conversion(s), metadata update, library maintenence etc...
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #6
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
FYI. You most likely know this, but for folks just tuning in when you run calibre from Dropbox you should pause syncing in Dropbox prior to running any feature that may change your database or books, IE. book conversion(s), metadata update, library maintenence etc...
I didn't know this, but I do now. Thanks to you and to everyone else for the help.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote