Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Wimi_Bussard
Wimi_Bussard began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 4 HD
Creating Comic-epubs

Hi,

i want to create an epub-file which only contains images (comic/manga). Therefore I produced a cbr-file and converted this comic.cbr to comic.epub using calibre. It works fine except for the part where the lower part of the comic seems to be cut off when reading it on my PRS-T3).

As the output profile I used every Sony profile which was available (Sony Reader 300, 900, Landscape). I tried "Tablet" and "Default", too. I guess the problem lies within the higher resolution of the prs-T3 device (758 x 1024) and the sony profiles have to be updated?

TL;DR: cbr to epub via calibre, reader does not display the whole image, lower part is cut off, prs-t3 (758 x 1024)

I would appreciate any help and advices .

PS: English is not my mother tongue, so my English may be a litte bit weird .
PPS: If you guys need more information, let me know!
Wimi_Bussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Is it only cut off on your PRS or also in other readers like the calibre viewer?
If you convert a cbr to epub, there is an extra tab in the conversion dialog, where you could tweek the comic conversion. Per default it cuts margins away by detecting borders. It could be that this removes a little more. You can disable this and do many other things in that tab.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Wimi_Bussard

Thy for your answer.
Quote:
Is it only cut off on your PRS or also in other readers like the calibre viewer?
Only in my reader. The calibre viewer works fine... somehow.
Atm every second page in the epub is a blank white page. (why? :S)

These are my settings: (I went with the profile "Tablet" this time)

I think i already disabled the trimming option. Dunno where i messed up.

The cbr-file is a simple main folder containing all the images.jpg. No sub-folders.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Just to be clear, is the image cut off, a blank side after each image or both?
Regarding the blank page:
1. It could be, that the dimensions for the images are off, even if you used the correct output profile. You could try to set custom dimensions in the comic options.
2. And more likely: The image is wrapped in some style that has a margin set in the default stylesheet of the reader. Don't know, if this works, but you could try to set "Remove margins" under the layout-tab. Or you could try to add there additional css like
div {margin-bottom: 0; margin-top: 0;}
If you have Sigil, you could experiment directly inside the epub, which would be the best.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Blank page after every image in most cases is caused by too big image height.

Calibre is awesome but comic/manga processing there is very simple. I recommend you trying our Kindle Comic Converter. Use Other profile and set dimensions of your screen. If you will still getting blank pages/cut lower part that means your reader can't use 100% of screen in this mode. Experiment and decrease height until it will look good. Additionaly make sure that reader use margin configuration from EPUB file. I don't have idea if PRS-T3 is doing that by default or there is option for that.

If you find working settings let me know - I would love to add your device to our wiki.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-14-2013 at 02:19 AM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You will need to experiment to find the correct image size for your device. Use the option under Comic Input in the conversion dialog to try different sizes. Once you find the optimal size with no cut off and no blank pages after, let us know, and I will create a profile for the T3 based on that size.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Wimi_Bussard

I will try it out and tell u guys, thanks ^^. Btw, I used the KCC before, but there were blank pages -> Will try it out with different heights, too.

EDIT: Typos

Last edited by Wimi_Bussard; 11-14-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Wimi_Bussard

Hi, as promised, here are my results.

(KCC only atm, because I could not find the option in calibre)

The official screen resolution of the SONY PRS-T3 should be "758 x 1024 (B x H)" (http://www.sony.de/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-t3)

Here's a screenshot how it should look like (converted epub, using calibre viewer)

I did two tests (KCC):
1. using the official specs: 758 x 1024 (B x H)

As you can see, the lower part is missing.

2. using adjusted parameters: 758 x 934 (took about 90 pixel away)

Now it seems to be okay.

Sadly, I don't have the time to figure out the optimal resolution, but i guess this one should be quite fine. If you guys want me to, I can do a deeper research on this one. But do not expect anything from me before Monday evening ^^.

kind regards

PS: Is it possible to create an epub without size limitations, or do I have to stick with pdf for zooming in etc? (for now the comic is displayed correctly via eReader but one cannot zoom in (bad quality). Is there a solution to this problem?)

Last edited by Wimi_Bussard; 11-15-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only way to have high quality zooming is use images with dimensions higher than reader resolution. Some e-readers downscale too big images - so high quality zoom is possible.

In PRS-T3 case I highly doubt that is possible. Try using 1137x1401 target resolution (150%). But it probably just fall apart.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-15-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Wimi_Bussard

yep, isn't working. The reader trims the images automatically. I am going to search the web for solutions for T2 or T1, i guess.

Btw, the KCC seems to break down when I am using a .cbr-file which contains .jpg AND .png images (~700mb). Can you confirm this? - win8.1 64x, KCC 3.5

But thank you guys very much!

PS: Will try it out with calibre soon, too :X
Old 11-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

I converted over 5gb CBR files with KCC. So "break down" is not enough for me. Any error?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
Wimi_Bussard

It depends. I just deleted the cbr.-file (my mistake), but out of ten tries, 5 times the process just disappeared and the other times, a runtime error appeared (just a simple "has detected a problem and has to be closed"-error message without specific information).

I just converted one other cbrs and I got this new error window:

[IMG][/IMG]

This is somehow strange, because WinRar 5.00 is already installed.

(g2g now to get the train. Won't be on this computer for the next two days ). Sorry for the vague informations :X.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Interesting. How much RAM you have? And how much free space on C:?

Last edited by AcidWeb; 11-16-2013 at 02:08 PM.