Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Anyone bought the new Thomas Pynchon book yet?

I was wondering if anyone had purchased this and/or is reading it?

If so, how is it?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I had been hoping it would be eligible for the Kobo coupon, but it's not.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaine View Post
I had been hoping it would be eligible for the Kobo coupon, but it's not.
I think we were on the same wave length!

Don
Old 09-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It is $1 cheaper in the US Kobo store and eligible for the coupon. Unfair, for sure.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
I have it and will start reading as soon as I finish Wharton’s The House of Mirth.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
I have it and will start reading as soon as I finish Wharton’s The House of Mirth.

Although I'm going to buy it anyway, please let us know how it goes.

Don
Old 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Bought it (with the coupon :-) ) and have read almost half of it now. Greatly enjoying it. One of the "easy read" Pynchons along the lines of Vineland or Inherent Vice - which is good for me, having made three attempts on Against the Day so far without being able to finish it (- loving it, but just not able to spend enough time with it to keep track of everybody -)...

So Bleeding Edge so far is Pynchon in playful crime writer mode - lots of fun with word play, invented video games, the usual silly songs, the works - and yet a villain who gets creepier the more the heroine learns about him, especially since there are hints scattered about the story that the dirt she is poking her nose in is leading up to 9/11 somehow.

So, no final opinion before I've finished it, but so far I'm very happy.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, doubleshuffle.

I just now picked it up and will start it when I finish the one novel and two short story collections I'm currently reading.

Don
Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I was wondering if anyone had purchased this and/or is reading it?
[...]
I will wait for the e-book price to drop when paperback is released. ...
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who dare to read the reviews before they read the novel:

The Washington Post: “Book World: Thomas Pynchon’s ‘Bleeding Edge’” by Michael Dirda

Slate.com: “A Search Result With No Instructions on How to Look for It” by Troy Patterson

The New York Times: “Pynchonopolis” by Jonatham Lethem

Salon.com: “‘Bleeding Edge’: Thomas Pynchon goes truther” by Andrew Leonard

The New York Times: “A Calamity Tailor-Made for Internet Conspiracy Theories” by Michiko Kakutani

Publisher’s Weekly: “Bleeding Edge” by David Kipen
Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm certainly not going to read those before I finish the book, but thanks for putting them up anyway - they will come in handy afterwards.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #12
pynch
why in?

Started reading yesterday and, G–d, have I missed the flow of his prose!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Indeed. Random favourite sentence:

Quote:
AS LABOR DAY APPROACHES, everybody in the world begins calling in, people Maxine hasn’t heard from for years, a classmate from Hunter who reminds her at length how at just the right moment in an evening of irresponsible stupor she saved this person’s life by hailing a taxi, folks from out of town making their annual autumn pilgrimages into NYC, eager as any city-dwelling leafers headed the other way to gaze at spectacles of decadence, sophisticated travelers who have been away all summer at fabulous tourist destinations, back now to bore everybody they can round up with camcorder tapes and tales of fantastic bargains, travel upgrades, living with the natives, Antarctic safaris, Indonesian gamelan festivals, luxury tours of the bowling alleys of Liechtenstein.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Interesting, that one (!) sentence makes me want to skip the book!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Interesting, that one (!) sentence makes me want to skip the book!

eP
Ditto
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote