Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none, sadly, they all died
Question Looking to buy Onyx device

But which one? I posted this thread months ago, and finally have the money to consider purchasing a replacement. I poked around online and came across mostly this one and this one.

Could someone with experience with either one or both help me navigate this whole confusing realm of what to buy and where to buy it? (It sounds like there are multiple places and it's not all the same thing depending on where you go?) The thread I posted should have a good description of what I'm looking for.

Any and all input, suggestions, advice would be welcomed!
Doranwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
The difference between the two models is front-light.

i62Hd firefly comes with front-light
i62Hd is without front-light

IMO, ereader store is a good place to buy. They provide good after sales service and 2 years of warranty.
Also note that a new model with Android OS is about to launch soon

Last edited by Feher; 07-15-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, so I should stick with the store. Good to know. I presume there aren't issues in ordering from there to the US, other than paying expensive shipping?

How useful is the front-light? Anyone had experience with/without it?

How soon is soon? I'm needing to have this in my hands and have my files loaded on it by Christmastime (I still have the SD card I used with the previous reader, so I can just copy files over), as I'll be on a trip where I really will want to have it with me. If soon is "next month", I'll wait; if it's six months, I'll just go ahead and get it. (And by "new model with Android OS" do you mean that previous models didn't have Android, or that this will just be the latest model with it?)

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have M92, so i don't have experience with front-light either.
Most people consider it a good feature, which is useful in low light conditions.
Also i have heard that screen clarity decreases by a tiny bit due to the light distribution layer, but it shouldn't make much difference.

This Generation models have Linux and are tailored for pdf files specifically. Pdf handling is exceptionally good.
Android will have its own advantage - a lot for me, Specifically the No-Refresh mode.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...r-at-computex/
Check review of a Russian basic model here, it is without touch or WiFi:
http://www.the-ebook.org/?p=18124#more-18124

They are coming in September. But we cannot be 100% sure.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Hi Doranwen,

I have the M92, i62HD and the i62HD ML. In terms of buying these readers I would recommend you move quickly to purchase one since it appears the underlying technology platform is moving over to Android. The expectation with shifting to Android is you will have more software choices for readers, etc., but I don't think this will be true for e-ink devices. I think the Linux platform is better and more rhobust and takes less overhead than Android will.

I'm in the US and yes, you'll pay some shipping, but you won't pay the EU VAT tax and you'll also get billed for import duty by UPS. The bottom line is you'll pay about the same as if you bought it in Europe with their VAT.

In terms of the front light, I think it's a great feature, especially at night. The non-front light model will have a little more contrast with normal room lighting, but when you use the readers outside there is very little difference.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranwen View Post
Doranwen -
I see from your devices that you have an AZtak Pocket Pro. Are you still using it? I just ordered one from ebay, so just curious if yours is still holding up.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Doranwen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsavitz View Post
Hi Doranwen,

I have the M92, i62HD and the i62HD ML. In terms of buying these readers I would recommend you move quickly to purchase one since it appears the underlying technology platform is moving over to Android. The expectation with shifting to Android is you will have more software choices for readers, etc., but I don't think this will be true for e-ink devices. I think the Linux platform is better and more rhobust and takes less overhead than Android will.
Hmm, for the M62 vs. the i62HD and i62HD ML, the i62 ones say "preorder"--maybe they're all the Android base, the next gen? I like the sound of the one with the frontlight, but I'm not spotting where to buy one with a frontlight with a Linux base. If you can help me find a link to one that has both Linux platform and frontlight, I would go for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
This Generation models have Linux and are tailored for pdf files specifically. Pdf handling is exceptionally good.
My books are a ton of epubs and pdfs, mainly (so good to hear that it'll handle pdfs well! the Astak did not as much). But I also have a good number of html (fanfics mainly), a few rtfs (I can make 'em into docs--the Astak I had didn't handle docs as well as rtfs so I tended to convert to rtf for that purpose), and the occasional mobi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I see from your devices that you have an AZtak Pocket Pro. Are you still using it? I just ordered one from ebay, so just curious if yours is still holding up.
Well, I ordered one for me and my brother both at the same time--his is holding up just fine, but mine died. Can't get it to respond or turn on no matter how much I charge it. But as I said, his is still working just fine.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Feher
Addict

All the current models which you mentioned are Linux based.

i62HD ML is the one with frontlight (ML stands for Moon Light - another name for glowlight or frontlight). It is currently on pre-order and will be available generally within a few days. You can ask the store for more info on this.

HTML, RTF, docs, Mobi,EPUB files will be handled without the need for any conversion. And yes the current firmware is very stable and community has developed softwares and add-ons which you can take advantage of. So if your requirement is mainly to read books and you don't need additional Android features, it will be a good decision to buy this one. The new firmware i.e. Android will have minor hiccups in the initial months.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #9
Doranwen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
i62HD ML is the one with frontlight (ML stands for Moon Light - another name for glowlight or frontlight). It is currently on pre-order and will be available generally within a few days. You can ask the store for more info on this.
Thanks for the advice and help! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one, then--it looks like they don't let people actually *do* preorders or anything, have to wait till it's back in stock to place an order.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
Doranwen, you made the right choice!
The only alternative to this model - i63ML MAXWELL, but there is no sound. And this is a big minus!

Doranwen, Вы сделали правильный выбор!
Единственная альтернатива этой модели - i63ML MAXWELL, но в ней нет звука. А это большой минус!
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranwen View Post
Thanks for the advice and help! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one, then--it looks like they don't let people actually *do* preorders or anything, have to wait till it's back in stock to place an order.
Hi,
as we just have been informed i62HD ML "Firefly" will be available within of approx. 3-4 weeks. Onyx needs a little time because they have to produce nonstandard 8GB / 256MB PCBs for us (other distributers use much cheaper 4GB / 128MB PCBs )
So if you want one, you have to be patient
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
Doranwen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,
as we just have been informed i62HD ML "Firefly" will be available within of approx. 3-4 weeks. Onyx needs a little time because they have to produce nonstandard 8GB / 256MB PCBs for us (other distributers use much cheaper 4GB / 128MB PCBs )
So if you want one, you have to be patient
No problem--I definitely want one, and will wait for that specific one. It's wonderful to find an e-reader that will have the right features that I want!

The only thing I wonder, is there a way to sign up on some sort of alert list or anything? I'm afraid I will get so busy in the next few weeks that I will forget I'm waiting for it and miss when it comes out. I definitely don't want to miss it!
Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
OnyxItalianOwner
OnyxItalianOwner began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox i62HD Angel Glow
Onyx Boox ereaders finally available in Italy!

Yes, I thought this moment would never come! Well I was wrong

I just managed to buy an Boox M92 from the Italian Amazon store for 279 EUR, a couple of weeks ago I came across the facebook account https://www.facebook.com/OnyxBooxItalia, thanks to which I've learnt that the polish company Arta Tech is to strengthen its position in the Italian market.

As soon as I'll get my M92 I'll provide you with some more information!

Buona lettura!
OnyxItalianOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #14
Doranwen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxItalianOwner View Post
I don't plan on purchasing the M92. I think perhaps you might be in the wrong thread.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxItalianOwner View Post
Yes, I thought this moment would never come! Well I was wrong

I just managed to buy an Boox M92 from the Italian Amazon store for 279 EUR, a couple of weeks ago I came across the facebook account https://www.facebook.com/OnyxBooxItalia, thanks to which I've learnt that the polish company Arta Tech is to strengthen its position in the Italian market.

Buona lettura!
279 EUR ( without cover and charger), 303 EUR with cover (but still without proper charger). Just 1 year warranty. Just in case of a problem would you like to contact the seller company in Poland using Amazon service? It will be interesting experience - (speaking of my own painful experience with some Amazon sellers)

Buona lettura!
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote