Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
acctingman
acctingman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reading comics =Ipad 3 vs Galaxy vs Trans vs??

Ok all you comic book readers.

I'm looking at an Ipad 3 (for the resolution and some of the new HD comics) Galaxy tablet (for the cost...$120 cheaper that the Ipad 3) and the Asus Transformer (I've heard it mentioned but not sure how it's better than the Galaxy)

Anyways, love to hear people's comments/suggestions/experience!

Thanks!
acctingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go for the New iPad. The screen is a better aspect ratio for comics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go for the New iPad. The screen is a better aspect ratio for comics.
Actually a standard comic is 6.625" x 10.25" which is an aspect ratio of 1.55:1.

An iPad 3 (2048x1536) has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1 (4:3) and the Transformer Infinity (1920x1200) has an aspect ratio of 1.6:1 (16:10) so the 10.1" screen has an aspect ratio that's closer to a standard comic (not that it matters a ton).

Quote:
Originally Posted by acctingman View Post

I'm looking at an Ipad 3 (for the resolution and some of the new HD comics) Galaxy tablet (for the cost...$120 cheaper that the Ipad 3) and the Asus Transformer (I've heard it mentioned but not sure how it's better than the Galaxy)
Which model Galaxy and which model Transformer?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
acctingman
acctingman began at the beginning.

Which model Galaxy and which model Transformer?[/QUOTE]

Galaxy 2 10.1"
ASUS Transformer TF101-A1
acctingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by acctingman View Post

Anyways, love to hear people's comments/suggestions/experience!

Thanks!
If reading Comics is your number one priority I would suggest a tablet with 16:10 ratio since this is closes to the 1.5 ratio comics are standardize on.

4:3(1.3)
16:9(1.7)
16:10(1.6)

The Tab and Transformer series both use a 16:10 ratio so I would recommend them over the the iPad.

There are four Transformer models: In order of build quality
Transformer EeePad (Original T100) (Not sold anymore but used they go as low as $230)
Transformer Pad (T300) same as prime but less features and plastic housing(less $100) $399
Transformer Prime (T200) $499
Transformer Infinity (T700) $499 Same as Prime but thicker and has Retina like resolution)

Infinity:
Since you are looking into the iPad3 for the screen resolution I'd recommend the Transformer Infinity. It has all of the latest features. Not only that it resolves all of the issues found in the Prime. The prime had issues because it had a solid aluminum casing that interfered with the wireless radios like GPS and in some cases WIFI. It is thinner than the Pad but thicker than the prime and has a mixed housing of plastic and metal. This is done so to avoid the Faraday shielding caused by an all aluminum body. The CPU is clocked higher than the Prime.

Prime:
The Prime what it has over the Infinity is that it's is thinner an sexier. The downside is the screen resolution. The internals are the same as the Prime and Infinity but has a slower CPU clocked cycle. The UI has the ability to overclock your tablet.

Pad:
The Pad is all plastic and feels plastic and a little cheaper. It does not have Gorilla glass and does not have Super IPS. But being made of plastic it is cheaper and does not have the radio interference found on the Prime. The internals are the same as the Prime and Infinity. It is slightly clocked higher than the Prime

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-07-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Corrected model number thx ilovejedd
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
TF700 or iPad 3. My vote is for TF700 since it supports microSD cards. If you're looking to store a modest selection of comics on the tablet (so you at least have a choice of reading material), minimum storage you'd want is around 32GB.

I have both and they both work quite well with comics.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-07-2012 at 04:58 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Transformer Pad (T200) same as prime but less features and plastic housing(less $100) $399
Transformer Prime (T300) $499
You have the model numbers mixed up. Transformer Prime is TF201. Transformer EEE Pad is TF300.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Going by your reasons alone, I'd choose the iPad - if you get one of the others just because they're cheaper, you might end up finding something about Android that really annoys you compare to what iOS does it when displaying comics.

In general, though, and if cost wasn't a factor at all, then I'd say go for an iPad (Beep-beep! Time to toot the Apple horn!) or a Galaxy. They are pretty much on par with what you need - I personally prefer the screen of the iPad just slightly, but the Galaxy tab has an SD slot for expandable storage - and, hey, comics aren't that big, but you might really like them! I'm not a big fan of Asus anything in general, though, so hello bias.
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittiness View Post
Going by your reasons alone, I'd choose the iPad - if you get one of the others just because they're cheaper, you might end up finding something about Android that really annoys you compare to what iOS does it when displaying comics.
There are actually some nice comic reader apps available on Android that's not available for iOS (at least last I checked). Either one of the iPad 3 or TF700 would work really, although props goes to the iPad for being easier to balance due to its more squarish shape.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
There are actually some nice comic reader apps available on Android that's not available for iOS (at least last I checked). Either one of the iPad 3 or TF700 would work really, although props goes to the iPad for being easier to balance due to its more squarish shape.
Like I said, "going by your reasons alone."
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
There are actually some nice comic reader apps available on Android that's not available for iOS (at least last I checked).
And there are some nice comic reader apps available on iOS but not Android, that's perfectly normal. As long as there are enough good apps on both (which there are), then it doesn't really matter.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi the best comic readers for Android IMHO are Comic reader mobi and perfect viewer.
They both support the popular .CBR&CBZ format that you should be using if you are digitizing you paper collection

Comic reader mobi has a proprietery text recognition feature that magnifies text in a little lens window when you tap on it

I use both on my Kindle fire
I will never read another paper comic again.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
A couple of fairly recent threads discussed this as well, here's one where I posted a screen shot of a comic page. Perhaps someone with an iPad might do the same for comparison purposes?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185043
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote