Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: experience with highlighting
I usually don't use the "Highlight" feature 14 66.67%
I use the "Highlight" feature frequently and experience no issues with it 3 14.29%
I use the "Highlight" feature frequently and sometimes finds that it shifts the highlight around 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
bigtext
bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.bigtext has never been to obedience school.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Simple Touch poll - Highlight Feature

If you want to test if your device has an issue try the following experiment. Open up a book and choose any word that ends a sentence. Highlight the word like you are going to look it up in the dictionary. Now choose the Highlight menu option. After the screen refreshes does the highlight cover the entire word like it was before Highlight menu option was chosen or does it change?

This is an example sentence using red font for highlighting where I highlight the last word.

After pressing Highlight it looks like this:

This is an example sentence using red font for highlighting where I highlight the last word.

Try it 3 or 4 times because sometimes it works and other times it does not. At least on my device.
bigtext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I never use highlight. I tried this 5 or 6 times and it worked as expected, it didn't miss the last letter.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
to me happens when the words are closer on the edges of the screen. I resize text to smaller and do the highlight again. no issues. I use highlight a LOT
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are several issues with text selection, and yes, I do occasionally encounter the specific issue mentioned here. Others are:

- cannot select a hyphenated word
- cannot extend selection if initial selection is at bottom of screen (where the selection options appear)
- cannot extend selection to previous/next page
- can only extend initial selection in one direction
- I'd like to be able to delete highlights in the Highlights and Notes list (as well as in situ)

Maybe these are not critical usability issues for the 'average' person, but certainly they are opportunities for improvement.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote