Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Another New Sony? PRS-G1?

A friend in Japan sent me this link this morning:

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n...29_479596.html

My Japanese is very rough but it appears to be breaking news about another Sony model to be sold alongside the PRS-T1, called the PRS-G1. It looks like it's slated for November sale and has a higher price than the T1 -- 26,000 yen to the T1's 20,000. Two colors, SD slot. I'm not entirely clear on what makes it different from the T1 at this point, but I'll keep working at it. Perhaps someone who is fluent in Japanese can help?

Edit: In retrospect, perhaps I should have posted this in News? Apologies.

Edit the Second: Sony Japan's product page for the PRS-G1: http://www.sony.jp/reader/products/PRS-G1/

Last edited by Skibble; 09-29-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
ooo interesting, will look at it more later but 1 thing i noticed in my 5 second skim was 3g.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
So just added 3G functionality then? I wonder if they are going to charge a contract for it? Perhaps this will be very region-specific.

Shame it's not a premium matte bezel edition. I'd pay a small extra for that.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Shame it's not a premium 7" screen device.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Shame it's not a premium 7" screen device.
That's what I thought it was! I perked up for a moment.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Looks like it's just the T1 with added 3G connectivity.

No idea why they need the two models, I would have thought the better option would have been to have had the G1 and one with no Wi-Fi or 3G at a really competitive price.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I just wonder will the 3G model ever make it to the US. That could have been the reason for the two model numbers.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Google is our friend:

Quote:
PRS-G1 correspond to connect 3G, Sony Marketing (line KDDI) by, plans are also available using 3G. Available only to Reader Store "Reader Store Plan" is a two-year free communication costs, communication costs and three years after the first year / 1,050 yen. In addition to the Reader Store, 3G is also available through an external Web "Web access plan" is 580 yen per month.

E-paper display is monochrome / 800 × 600 dots type 6 (e-manufactured Ink) is adopted. Electronic paper itself, there is no change from the previous model PRS-650/350. Electronic books and newspapers, including cartoons, "dedicated terminal reading" Expand as.

The biggest feature 3G and wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g/n (PRS-G1) was with a communication function. Thus, without going through a personal computer, e-books now available for purchase only from the body Reader Store Reader. In addition, books purchased / Reader Store Search PC, and can be downloaded from the Store to access the Reader, now also features a point can be linked over a network. Furthermore, according to the internal communication function to Reader, the e-book store selling "Reader Store" was also renewed.

Weight / dimensions are, 173.3 × 110 × 9.6mm a T1 (length × width × thickness) / 168g. 173.3 × 110 × 10.1mm the G1 (length × width × thickness) / 185g. Both the internal memory of 2GB (user area of ​​which 1.4GB) with a, e-books can be installed about 1,400 books. In addition, also equipped with microSD memory card slot to extend the capacity to 32GB.

E-paper, high contrast, easy to read characters can be represented. Optical touch panel is adopted, can be operated by touching the panel. Also comes with a stylus, space for the body is not equipped with a stylus.
Pinch, pinch-out support to the

Thumbnail view / the new expansion, pinch, pinch-out support for these operations, a larger screen with a finger touch operation to open, operate and close the screen can be reduced. As well as content purchased from the Reader Store, and this operation can be scaled and PDF. In addition, the Japanese font has been changed and became Tsukushi Ming (Ming Iwata Conventional body, except the new body rubber Morisawa R).

E-book compatible formats, content delivery Reader Store (. Mnh), XMDF (. Zbf),. Book, EPUB (. Epub), PDF (. Pdf), TXT (. Txt).

Without charging the battery, about six weeks at 60 minutes reading Sun 1 (G1), about four weeks (T1) can be used for. When using wireless LAN in 3G / not being able to use about three weeks. Charging is done via USB, while charging from a PC is about 3.5 hours (G1) Time / 2.5 (T1).

Feature has been enhanced dictionary, language dictionary is the third edition 大辞林, Genius English-Japanese dictionary is G4, English-English dictionary is built in Oxford American English. Enhanced memory capabilities, will be called and a note from the menu button on one layer, the smoothness was improved (previously operation requires four layers of functionality Option).
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
My 950 has 3G. Big deal. It only let's me go to the Sony Store. It's not like Amazon 3G.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
My 950 has 3G. Big deal. It only let's me go to the Sony Store. It's not like Amazon 3G.
Might be more like the Amazon 3G than you think ... anyone catch this on the new Kindle Touch 3G page?

Quote:
WebKit-Based Browser
Kindle Touch 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Touch 3G. Experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi.
'Tis a distinctly different statement than that which appears on the Kindle Keyboard 3G page. (below)

Quote:
WebKit-Based Browser
KindleKeyboard features an experimental web browser based on WebKit to provide a better web browsing experience. Now it's easier than ever to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle. Experimental web browsing is free.
I'm wondering if the 3G availability for web browsing is being phased out by Amazon, because that "available via Wi-Fi" statement sure sounds like it! Nor does it surprise me a lot, because browsing via touchscreen is more pleasant to do, therefore potentially leading to more use of the 3G for that purpose.

At any rate, I guess we'll have to wait until they are shipping for someone to confirm whether one can still browse the web via 3g on a touchscreen Kindle.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I'm wondering if the 3G availability for web browsing is being phased out by Amazon, because that "available via Wi-Fi" statement sure sounds like it! Nor does it surprise me a lot, because browsing via touchscreen is more pleasant to do, therefore potentially leading to more use of the 3G for that purpose.
I suspect there was a renegotiation of contract with the carriers that they use. With data prices for everyone going up, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the price push from Amazon included keeping the 3G costs they absorb under control.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I suspect there was a renegotiation of contract with the carriers that they use. With data prices for everyone going up, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the price push from Amazon included keeping the 3G costs they absorb under control.
Yep. Might be a shocker for those used to getting 3G web browsing on the keyboard version when they upgrade to touch and find it is gone. Of course, that's not confirmed as yet, but the changed wording spoke volumes to me.