Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Amazon is nobody's friend

This is a very interesting article with regards to Amazon and their business practices.

http://www.hellnotes.com/amazon-is-n...0KuLrg.twitter

Some interesting points are made and there are connections I didn't know about.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I love the irony of there being a great big ad for his books on Amazon right on top...

Also don't agree with his idea that Agency pricing is a good thing.

Last edited by JeremyR; 09-20-2011 at 02:42 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I am not a big fan of Amazon. But *not* for many of the reasons in that article, LOL! The only reason I agreed with the author on was their tying your ebook purchases to them (unless you want to do the workarounds mentioned). However, I'm even LESS a fan of publishers than I am of Amazon, and therefore, wish Amazon had succeeded in their quest to make $9.99 the "default" price for new release ebooks. I hate the Agency model, and hope the suits against it succeed and force the publishers to back down, or at least relax the terms so that retailers can offer sales and point systems for discounts on Agency titles. And one thing I think Amazon has done right is striving to get more titles into ebook format. Even if it's azw, it's better than not being available at all.

I'm not a business expert, and my opinions stated above may be childish, reprehensible, and any number of other negative things to some people. Well, it is what I said, my opinion, and I don't really care to get into any arguments about it. If you don't agree with me, that's fine, I don't really expect anyone to, but trying to change my mind will be pointless. Just fair warning.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
* shrugs * No company is anybody's friend.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-20-2011 at 08:34 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I agree with this part

Quote:
or whether you think I’m a complete crack-pot, touchy-feely, post-hippie loser who doesn’t understand the realities of business in the 21st century
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I also don't agree with many points the author makes. What was interesting to me was the buying of competitors and running them as pseudo competitors. Amazon has offered to buy The Book Depository recently, which is one of their largest competitors in online book sales.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Amazon is big business that grew from obscurity like Walmart, Microsoft, Apple, MacDonald's, Starbucks etc.

They aren't inherently evil and don't seem to want to take over world government.

The onus is on the consumer to decide whether to support local businesses or smaller, individually owned businesses etc. over convenience and/or cost.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 AM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Amazon is my fwend.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Amazon is like most huge companies: they want to make a profit. And what's wrong with that? If they overstep a line, they'll be hit hard (just look at microsoft, who used its money and power to completely disintegrate its first browser competitor, and got slammed down hard for that...)

About formats, wasn't there a problem with the Ibook formats? that can only be read on Apple devices? Or the B&N Epubs that can only be read on a B&N reader?

While the writer of that piece does have a few points, I think that any company that would find itself in the place of Amazon would do the same. Sadly but true, that's the way our current economic system works...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Well its a business, what are you hoping for?

I am constantly amused at people extolling the virtues of capitalism and then getting all hurt and offended at the day to day reality of the system as it works.

What do we want Amazon to do? Apologize for getting so big and promise to stay nice and little? Let all the little guys have a chance? Not make anymore money?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i always expect the worst from businesses. that way, when they do something that we think is good or has a good side effect, then i'm happy, lol.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Chocolate isn't my friend either. Not gonna stop me from eating it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The reason that I’m finally being truly critical about Amazon is two-fold. First, at this moment a huge number of book buyers are facing a choice. All the former Borders customers out there have to decide where they are going to get their books now that Borders is closed. There are three choices: 1) Barnes and Noble. 2) Amazon. 3) An independent bookstore.
Sure, Barnes and Noble and Amazon are the only choices worthy of note

Kobo or sony would provide for most books anyone might want, and no buying a new reader required...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i'm just a lowly consumer but amazon has never done me wrong, there really arent many businesses that i can say that about. unless they start treating customers like garbage, i hope they keep doing what theyre doing.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
One of the reasons why I bought a Kindle once I'd decided to get an ereader was because it was an Amazon product. Of course Amazon isn't my friend, but it provides useful services.

When I moved to a non-anglophone country in the 1980s, I wanted to be able to go on buying English books. At that time I had an account with Blackwells, whom I had known since my undergraduate days as the bookshop for Oxford university (They are also academic publishers). I sent cheques and orders to Blackwells and eventually got back parcels of books. When I was in England I sometimes went into Blackwells in Oxford and looked at books or paid money into my account. Eventually, Blackwells decided to go onto the internet and they made a real mess of it (I expect by now they have it sorted out, but that was then, sometime in the 1990s). I got very fed up and decided to try Amazon. There was no comparison. Amazon were smooth and efficient and I have found them to be very reliable. I would say that OTW the Amazon experience is good for customers.

I would prefer not to be locked in with the Kindle, but on the plus side, I don't think the ebook market would be booming the way it is without Amazon's intervention. The Kindle effect is huge. Since I acquired mine in August last year, many more back titles have been added and it seems more and more common for newly published books to be available in e-format as well as dt-format.

That may well be due to Amazon's finding ebook business easier that dt. But whatever the reason, it benefits ebook readers, even ones who read only in ePub.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote