Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Broken 350 under warranty but still costs $ to exchange?

My PRS-350 stopped working a couple of days ago (doesn't turn on, just gives me a flashing orange light). It's inside the 1-year warranty, but Sony is still charging me $30 to repair it (which makes a little bit of sense, since "labor" isn't technically covered at this point) or to replace it with a refurbished unit (which makes less sense, because that's purely a hardware issue). I love my 350 but I'm not sure I want to sink $30 into a hopefully-it's-fixed repair or a here's-what-was-in-the-warehouse replacement.

Have others come across the $30 charge when getting repairs or replacement done under warranty?
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
JenPen1
Connoisseur
JenPen1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505 (given away), Sony 650 Touch, LG Nexus 4, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
My PRS-350 stopped working a couple of days ago (doesn't turn on, just gives me a flashing orange light). It's inside the 1-year warranty, but Sony is still charging me $30 to repair it (which makes a little bit of sense, since "labor" isn't technically covered at this point) or to replace it with a refurbished unit (which makes less sense, because that's purely a hardware issue). I love my 350 but I'm not sure I want to sink $30 into a hopefully-it's-fixed repair or a here's-what-was-in-the-warehouse replacement.

Have others come across the $30 charge when getting repairs or replacement done under warranty?
I sent in my PRS 505, when still under warranty, through Sony Style Store. The battery was not charging properly. Sony sent it back with a new battery and no charge for repair or shipping etc.

Jen
JenPen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
When I was buying my 950 and its cover, I called Sony to try and negotiate price (from the advice given here in this forum). It worked, but what I found from calling a few times is that each Sony person may say something different. You may try again or take it into a store and you may (or may not) get it taken care of for free.

I personally haven't heard of the $30 charge, but I've never had a problem with my 950.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
If it's like most such jobs I have had, management would like the customer service team as a whole to achieve some revenue target, and there are probably even some guidelines saying what they're supposed to charge you. But the processes for figuring out exactly who has to pay for what and how, are too difficult. And management can't decide whether they prefer to have high customer satisfaction and pay for it by selling you the next product, or whether they want to hit customer support revenue targets by annoying you with charges related to your current product.

As a result, if you get someone who just got chewed out for not collecting enough money from someone else, they might try to extract more money from you. But if you get someone who just tried to collect money from someone else, had a battle, and lost it, they might not bother trying again with you.

Also, the folks in customer support do notice when a particular user is "shopping" for the person who will give them a freebie. If you're pleasant they may quietly facilitate this shopping, but if you are nasty they can intentionally defeat it.

Last edited by elizilla; 08-19-2011 at 03:19 PM.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
I ended up calling again this morning, since I was definitely not on board with paying for something that's under warranty and I was determined to wring an explanation out of Sony. After asking several times (nicely but pointedly) how a hardware-only exchange was NOT covered under the 1-year warranty, and after getting several replies that fell well short of any kind of answer, the rep told me he might be able to get me a "discount" to make it a no-cost transaction. Long story short, he came through with the "discount" and now I'm waiting for e-mailed instructions on how to send in my broken reader. Once they receive my reader, they'll ship out the warranty replacement.

Glad I pursued it. I'm sure Sony counts on most folks just griping as they hand over their money.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
savethebutterfly
Nameless Being

If it is within the 1 year warranty, then there should be no charge for the work or any parts. Sometimes, you would be responsible for shipping costs but it depends on the company. The only exception that I know of is that if they examine the product and find that the fault itself is not covered by the warranty - then they should give you the option to have the item repaired for a charge (and they should give you a quote) or have it returned to you, at your expence.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Long story short, he came through with the "discount" and now I'm waiting for e-mailed instructions on how to send in my broken reader. Once they receive my reader, they'll ship out the warranty replacement.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
Also, the folks in customer support do notice when a particular user is "shopping" for the person who will give them a freebie. If you're pleasant they may quietly facilitate this shopping, but if you are nasty they can intentionally defeat it.
That is exactly how it works. Speaking as someone who works in the tech support/customer support department for a computer upgrades vendor, I can verify that yes, we can tell when you are trying to get free stuff for nothing, because we get that all the time. Every single one of our customers suffers from the delusion that they are more important than anyone else, and they falsely believe that we owe them something just because the hardware stopped working.

Newsflash: Hardware fails. We owe you nothing beyond the warranty. Quit whining and deal with reality.

That said, if you're nice and reasonable, we will go an extra mile to make your life easier and find a hassle-free solution for you, because that is what we do. That's what we're paid to do. Just don't be an ass about it, because if you are, that's when I start going over our policies with a fine-tooth comb and look for a good excuse not to help you.

Quote:
After asking several times (nicely but pointedly) how a hardware-only exchange was NOT covered under the 1-year warranty, and after getting several replies that fell well short of any kind of answer, the rep told me he might be able to get me a "discount" to make it a no-cost transaction. Long story short, he came through with the "discount" and now I'm waiting for e-mailed instructions on how to send in my broken reader. Once they receive my reader, they'll ship out the warranty replacement.
"Nicely but pointedly" are the key words there. It's perfectly possible to be determined and stubborn without being rude, and in this particular case you had a valid case. Any time a company tries to charge you for something covered under warranty, you have consumer rights legislation on your side, not on theirs.

Sony's policies and attitudes are very different from the company I work for.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebutterfly View Post
If it is within the 1 year warranty, then there should be no charge for the work or any parts. Sometimes, you would be responsible for shipping costs but it depends on the company. The only exception that I know of is that if they examine the product and find that the fault itself is not covered by the warranty - then they should give you the option to have the item repaired for a charge (and they should give you a quote) or have it returned to you, at your expence.
I think we are in a better position than in US thanks to the S.O.G. Act, in that our primary contract is with the seller - easier to tackle/make direct contact - and have more comprehensive requirements under this, that over-rule individual warranty wordings.

However, at times sellers will deny responsibility, don't know the law, or simply lie, and need educating !
The better stores [sometimes, as was ever thus, certain individual branches ] are well aware of the law and comply.
Which, of course, make us more likely to buy from them again - a point Head Office sometimes ignore/forget.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote