Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
book trailer-- yay or nay?

Hey, I was checking out Ruth Ann Nordin's advice stuff and looked at her website. Has anyone else made book trailers? I mean, hers were pretty funny and I ended up being like "I want some of those."

If you have made trailers, have they perked up a lot of interest? Would it be worth it to get a YouTube channel for my book trailers?
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Quote:
I want some of those.
I think you answered your own question. If it worked on you no reason it shouldn't work on other people.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F View Post
I think you answered your own question. If it worked on you no reason it shouldn't work on other people.
I don't mean I wanted her books (she writes different stuff than my preference), no, I meant I wanted some trailers of my own. The only thing is, if I spend a bunch of time putting pictures and music and everything together... would it be a viable marketing tool, or just a really fun waste of time?
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
Eisengoth
Independent Author
Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
I don't mean I wanted her books (she writes different stuff than my preference), no, I meant I wanted some trailers of my own. The only thing is, if I spend a bunch of time putting pictures and music and everything together... would it be a viable marketing tool, or just a really fun waste of time?
You know, I had much the same reaction as you the other day, checking out some book trailers on YouTube. I also have some video editing experience, so I decided to go ahead and do one for my indie book.

You can check out my results here, if you want. This was about three evenings worth of work, including composing the background music. I had fun doing it... I don't know if it will be worthwhile for marketing or not, but it was definitely fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk7NOrHsAAo
Eisengoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Oh my bad Harper. For the record I think it's a good idea. I don't know that I'd spend money to have a trailer done, but if you have the ability to put something up why not?
Exposure is exposure and for us indie's that's the name of the game.
Thanks for bringing this up by the way, it's something I wouldn't have thought of doing.

And nice job Eisengoth!
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Eisengoth
Independent Author
Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William F View Post
And nice job Eisengoth!
Thanks! It was quite a bit of work, but I was pretty happy with how it ended up! Video editing is tricky, but it's really a lot of fun when a project finishes with the kind of impact you wanted!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Nicely done! Needs more music.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
A Norwegian publisher did some movie-like trailers for books not long ago. Here is one of them, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07wRNEKhKtk. When I first saw it I thought it was rather stupid, but I ended up buying and reading the book, so I guess it had the desired effect.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Personally, I can't stand book trailers and I can't recall any trailer that didn't actually put me off reading the book. Now I don't watch them at all.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisengoth View Post
You know, I had much the same reaction as you the other day, checking out some book trailers on YouTube. I also have some video editing experience, so I decided to go ahead and do one for my indie book.

You can check out my results here, if you want. This was about three evenings worth of work, including composing the background music. I had fun doing it... I don't know if it will be worthwhile for marketing or not, but it was definitely fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk7NOrHsAAo
Super video, Christopher! But you obviously know something about av imagery. Definitely not something I'd want to tackle myself without outside help.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
Eisengoth
Independent Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Super video, Christopher! But you obviously know something about av imagery. Definitely not something I'd want to tackle myself without outside help.
Thank you!

It's true; I took a class on video editing a few years back as part of my IT degree, and because of that I've done a few corporate and hobby projects and such, which required my digging into the available programs and learning how they work. Most of what I learned, I learned on my own (except for the small amount that the 6-week class taught me), but I definitely wouldn't recommend going it completely alone unless you already have at least some minor experience... non-linear video editing can be quite overwhelming at first.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't watch book trailers and I don't care about them at all. I've seen one and it only had stock photos and said nothing about the book (which I liked). If you're having fun making one, go ahead because what's the harm in extra exposure? But actually paying money and treating it as a promotion that'll work? I doubt it. Better promotion is having a blog that gets linked to, or writing a guest post for authors or bloggers in your niche.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Regardless of whether or not the trailer would entice buyers, a youtube video really helps with getting your book good placement on google searches. Youtube will help with your search engine ranking, and anything that helps readers to find your book, is worth at least trying.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyJ View Post
Regardless of whether or not the trailer would entice buyers, a youtube video really helps with getting your book good placement on google searches. Youtube will help with your search engine ranking, and anything that helps readers to find your book, is worth at least trying.
Very good point.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
nay..
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote