Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Staples Coupon: $100 off any Tablet

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/...pon.html?n=927

You can get an Acer Iconia or a ASUS Transformer for $299. Pretty fabulous deal.

You can also get a Dell Streak 7, but the reviews say it is a piece of crap.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Device: entourage pe
dude, you rock...........
arcticmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Wow! Thank you, Kenny!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/...pon.html?n=927

You can get an Acer Iconia or a ASUS Transformer for $299. Pretty fabulous deal.

You can also get a Dell Streak 7, but the reviews say it is a piece of crap.
Excellent!!! I need to pick up an ASUS or transformer!!
I'll go during lunch!
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
garyhgaryh
Zealot

All the nicely priced tablets are sold out at my Staples. I was looking at the ASUS Transformer or the Acer Iconia.
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Device: entourage pe
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
All the nicely priced tablets are sold out at my Staples. I was looking at the ASUS Transformer or the Acer Iconia.
we still got the iconia here in indianapolis in. was actually thinking about the dell streak for 299 minus 100 making it 199 but that was sold out oh well. may consider the iconia though....

actually wouldnt mind the playbook but at 499 ..... not
arcticmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmaniac View Post
we still got the iconia here in indianapolis in. was actually thinking about the dell streak for 299 minus 100 making it 199 but that was sold out oh well. may consider the iconia though....

actually wouldnt mind the playbook but at 499 ..... not
overpriced .. that's why they still had playbooks at my staples store.
The steak would be nice...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

The Dell Streak is probably a bad deal. While it looks like a pretty cool tablet, the battery life is absolutely horrible. If you look at the chart at the end of this Acer Iconia review, it clocks in at barely 3 hours. That's okay for a netbook but completely unacceptable for today's tablets. Of course, there might be a development community that has been able to extend the battery life, but you're starting at a pretty bad place if you go with that product.

I've been seriously thinking about the Iconia. The battery life isn't great, but it comes with a full USB port and an HDMI out. The reviews have also been pretty good. $299 seems like a real steal. I'm just having trouble justifying it to myself, especially given that my eDGe seems to take care of my work needs. I don't want to have a $299 paperweight sitting around my apartment.

And, of course, there is this little bit of news:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/19/len...et-ideapad-k1/

This seems like the perfect work tablet. I'm thinking I might wait a little longer for what I actually want - a high-end tablet with Honeycomb and a functional stylus.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
notion ink and transformer rocks
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
also nook color got one one ebay for USD168, shipping and customs vat brought it to USD245 still cheaper than anything here in UK.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
The Dell Streak is probably a bad deal. While it looks like a pretty cool tablet, the battery life is absolutely horrible. If you look at the chart at the end of this Acer Iconia review, it clocks in at barely 3 hours. That's okay for a netbook but completely unacceptable for today's tablets. Of course, there might be a development community that has been able to extend the battery life, but you're starting at a pretty bad place if you go with that product.

I've been seriously thinking about the Iconia. The battery life isn't great, but it comes with a full USB port and an HDMI out. The reviews have also been pretty good. $299 seems like a real steal. I'm just having trouble justifying it to myself, especially given that my eDGe seems to take care of my work needs. I don't want to have a $299 paperweight sitting around my apartment.

And, of course, there is this little bit of news:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/19/len...et-ideapad-k1/

This seems like the perfect work tablet. I'm thinking I might wait a little longer for what I actually want - a high-end tablet with Honeycomb and a functional stylus.
I like that Thinkpad! Only thing it's missing is the e-ink! And the keyboard/case is very nice. If they really come in at a decent price I think Lenovo might have a hit on their hands!

Techcrunch says it does not come with Netflix, but the Lenovo website says it does. Looks like a good collection of apps come with.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #12
kennyminot
Groupie

I like the e-ink screen, but I can only adequately use it to read ebooks and not pdf files. I generally prefer the versatility of an lcd screen. And $499 is a decent starting price for a tablet. I'm a bargain hunter, though . . . I never buy electronic equipment at full price (it's a worse investment than even a car). As such, I'll have to wait for it to drop in price . . . in a couple months, this thing will be $299.

You know what else is cool about the ThinkPad?! BUTTONS! I have no idea why all the Android companies decided to join Apple in its War Against Buttons. The one thing I hate about the Iconia is you don't get much beyond a power toggle switch.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
Triskalleon
Enthusiast
Triskalleon began at the beginning.

Device: none
The first thought I had when I saw the Thinkpad Tablet introduction was, "Wow! That LOOKS like a ThinkPad." Then I thought about how I'd been judging all other tablets in relation to how much they looked like an iPad.

Later I found out that some reviewers thought it was stodgy-looking. Hehe. It's interesting that the same basic specifications/hardware are in a consumer-facing device (the "K" Ideapad) and the "business" device. Other than that, there's not a lot to differentiate the different devices. Lenovo chose to concentrate on VPN, Cisco, and even Computrace (sort of like LoJack) to give the ThinkPad Tab a "business" persona. Happily they didn't take away the consumer facing features, which has sometimes been an unhappy compromise (like S-Video for TV on the R series but only VGA for projectors on the T series). This plays to what I want - a serious machine with work features that can be a play machine, too, with popular features.

My Pocket Edge is neat, and it's a great introduction to Android. I'll use it going forward as a 7" navigator in the car (with Destinator 9, replacing a Palm LifeDrive with Mapopolis Navcard), an e-book reader in the house, and something to watch movies on or to listen to music from to time when I'm stuck waiting, but I'm already thinking about that NEXT device. The Pocket Edge is simply too small to surf on.

The ThinkPad Tab is looking better than anything else I've seen so far. And ThinkPads are designed to be worked on… and kept.
Triskalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
I bought the dell streak for 199 it is not a bad tablet. And I average about 5.5 hours on a charge. Just make sure you have a task killer app or something like that. The only thing is the screen resolution could be better.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #15
lglake
Enthusiast
lglake began at the beginning.

Device: sony650 + 701 IQ + Dell Streak 7
Smile

Hi everyone. I just got a streak 7 for $199 @ staples and I kinda like it, I only have a sony650, and a pocketbook iq7 to compare the streak with, but for my money it rocks.
As a reader using cool reader it is faster than my iq, the other apps that I have side loaded from the ext. sd card have all worked as good or better than on the iq.
As I only have had it four days, I must reserve a full commitment on the streak.

But looking at the device listings of some of the other posters, I'm afraid that I'm going to start buying up tablets every time a new one comes out

I really don't think it's a piece of crap, it's not an Ipad, but for $199, it's not a bad deal, I have yet to run the battery out(but I have not used the wifi a lot), my legs bother me sitting too long in one place, so I don't think that I'll ever run the battery out in one setting.
Guys, I'm sorry for being too talkative.
Everyone have a lovely day.
Gene
lglake is offline   Reply With Quote