Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex
mmessina has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
The Longshores Rising: NMC - Science fiction

I've been writing this book ten years. It's been off and on, like a bitter love affair. I've thrown out, rewritten entire sections. The beginning chapters alone have probably been rewritten at least seven times.

Eventually, I finally found something I could be satisfied with; something that could actually manage to stand on it's own two feet. I then him and hawed for several months before sending it off to a publisher. Which of course, being it's science fiction it's a small set of publishers who will even touch it. Moreover, they will take many months to review your book and want exclusivity as part of their review. So for that duration, you're stuck with a book that cannot be marketed to anyone else.... except now, through kindle and other e-readers.

So here we are, in this forum; you've taken the time to click this post and I sincerely appreciate it.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/48547

Special coupon code for 3 year anniversary, good for 3 weeks (Until March 30th) MH77A

The Longshores Rising
Part 1 of the Neo-Monagasque Chronicles

This book's description per amazon:
Several hundred years in the future, man has exhausted the existing resources of our current time in several cataclysmic resource wars. After an intensive cleanup process, a bio-technological revolution occurs which merges machines, man, and cellular modification together to set the stage for a war to end all wars. Will this mark the progression of man into a new philosophical and technological age? Or will the world forever plunge into the abyss?

Now the part that makes it different...

My madcap world of the future is a bizarre, but intriguing, amalgamation of morality, the supernatural, cyborgs, genetically modified super-soldiers, and plantlife which literally powers the world. It's off color but at it's heart the story of three men; each forms a different corner of the same moral and ethical triangle. Their stories interweave through the strange landscape of a futuristic war which ...

Actually, tell you what. How about you just read the sample on amazon instead? Decide for yourself and tell me what you think

Last edited by mmessina; 03-11-2014 at 01:18 AM.
mmessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Has anyone read the sample available on amazon? If so, I'd like to know what you think. Maybe we can do an exchange - tit for tat - as it were? You show me yours and I'll show you mine?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I haven't. I neither shop at Amazon nor own a Kindle. Why not make it available at Smashwords?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

On the way but can't do it from work .. will either do it after work or on Saturday.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Added to smashwords. As incentive, the next three people to reply to this thread will get pm'd a coupon code for a free copy to review
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'll gladly take a Smashwords coupon for a free copy.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Done and done. Two more left, any takers?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I just went over to Amazon and picked this up for $2.99. Can't wait to start reading it! The blurb says that it is part of a series --- I can only hope and pray that you don't spend another decade tearing your hair out before writing the next installment!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
I'd love a smashwords coupon as well. The plot sounds interesting!
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Me too - or am I the 4th ?!
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
I just went over to Amazon and picked this up for $2.99. Can't wait to start reading it! The blurb says that it is part of a series --- I can only hope and pray that you don't spend another decade tearing your hair out before writing the next installment!
Thanks for the praise Yeah the 2nd one is on the way though I'm stuck around 30% in with how I want to approach a certain part
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

That concludes the promo, thanks everyone and I look forward to your input/reviews
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Requisite bump. I had another thread but per policy, they don't allow it.

Three year anniversary, see original post for 50% coupon.
Trying to build up some steam to get the second book done, give it a looksie!
Old 03-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #14
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I have to say nothing kills my desire for a book much more than this -- "You'll notice only one book here. It's because writing this took such huge energy and yet at the same time the absolutely overwhelming task of marketing it sapped me and killed my desire to continue the series. I have book 2 approximately 60% written. That said, I'd need a pretty significant reception/bump in traffic to give me the desire to work on it further."

From that it seems I'll invest the time in this book and possibly never get to finish the story. Even if what you wrote above is true, I'd consider taking that down as I can't be the only person who finds it a compelling reason to not buy your book.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
mmessina
Author-saurus-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I have to say nothing kills my desire for a book much more than this -- "You'll notice only one book here. It's because writing this took such huge energy and yet at the same time the absolutely overwhelming task of marketing it sapped me and killed my desire to continue the series. I have book 2 approximately 60% written. That said, I'd need a pretty significant reception/bump in traffic to give me the desire to work on it further."

From that it seems I'll invest the time in this book and possibly never get to finish the story. Even if what you wrote above is true, I'd consider taking that down as I can't be the only person who finds it a compelling reason to not buy your book.
That's not an insignificant statement. I've heard others express similar sentiments though the reality is I took self publishing's difficulties pretty personally for a while, and with a new baby it simply became too much at the time. Well, good news for you. The baby is a toddler now and I got a significant bump in reception from a publisher, who wants to see the whole series. Books two and three are currently in a 'get it done asap' mode. I was given approximately a 10 week timeline to finish book two, so I'm pushing it as fast as I can to complete.

Thanks for your honest criticism.