Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
talonsgrip
talonsgrip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Latest Generation
Falconry ebooks wanted

I've been looking high and low for free falconry ebooks and falconry ebook torrents. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of free stuff out there.

The one book I'm REALLY looking for is ...

Understanding the Bird of Prey by Nick Fox.

The ebook is out there. The trick is finding a copy.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the question, but if the eBook is out there, why not just buy it from the publisher?
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
I found some free falconry books in the Internet Archive:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...iatype%3Atexts
Old 08-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
ButeoBoy
ButeoBoy began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Those ebooks are great, but I burned right through them. Many are quite outdated. I'm looking for these:

American Kestrels in Modern Falconry by Matthew Mullenix

Apprentice Study Guide by California Hawking Club

Buteos and Bushytails by Gary Brewer Articles by Gary Brewer

Care and Management of Captive Raptors by L. Arent & M. Martell

Falconry Equipment by B.A. Kimsey & J. Hodge

Raptor Biomedicine by T. Patrick Redig, J. Cooper, David Remple & D. Bruce

The Falconer's Apprentice by William Oakes

The Red-Tailed Hawk by Liam McGranaghan

Understanding the Bird of Prey by Dr. Nick Fox

Many of these books are unavailable at the local library, (I've checked several) they are unavailable online, they are considered NECESSARY TEXTS for obtaining a falconry license and moving forward as an apprentice and they sell for upwards of $300. Buteos and Bushytails sells USED for $550!

Considering we need these documents for educational purposes, sharing them should be legal. (Under the fair use doctrine, Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976)

We're just waiting for some generous souls to assist us, Please help!!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Fair use" most certainly does not include "copying them and uploading them to the internet". Don't even dream of trying it here, my friend, or you'll be instantly banned.
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
ButeoBoy

Fair use is use for educational purposes. We need this information to obtain a federal license for falconry. Please explain how this is illegal.

Edit: Please view this article if you are still confused, it clears up quite a bit: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Last edited by ButeoBoy; 08-02-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

"Educational purposes" can indeed count as fair use. You're probably not going to get into trouble if, as a teacher, you copy a 1 page poem from a book and distribute it to your class.

But "educational purposes" most assuredly does not include "copying a whole book and uploading it to the internet". That's just piracy, plain and simple.

Some hobbies and interests are indeed expensive. That doesn't mean that you're justified in pirating the books which enable your to pursue those hobbies.

I'm sorry, but what you're asking for in no way whatsoever constitutes "fair use". But please don't take my word for it - ask an intellectual property rights lawyer.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
ButeoBoy

I wont. Because your word is incorrect.

Quote:
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.
This is, in fact, research. According to factor (1) We are in our rights to request copies because we are requesting them for research involving raptor biology. According to factor (2) The nature of the work is NOT imaginative. These are Non-fiction "Reference materials," you may check them yourself. According to factor (3) The "rule of thumb" is "Only as much as is necessary." I would only require specifics from the book if I KNEW WHAT THEY WERE. Therefore, it is necessary that I acquire an entire text. Factor (3) States the impact on the market that these books will affect. Since these are considered rare books and no longer in print, I'd say it would have no effect whatsoever.

Therefore I am entirely in my rights.

Last edited by ButeoBoy; 08-02-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Edited to proper highlight the wording.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This is a private site. You may think that you're within your rights to copy such works, but we disagree. We will not permit such uploads here. The point you're missing is that, even if it were to be considered fair use for YOU to have these books (and, although I don't think it is, it's possible you're right), by uploading them to the Internet they'd be available for anyone to download, and most people most certainly would not have a "fair use" claim on them. That's why we must refuse to accept such uploads. Please do not ask further. This conversation is at an end.

Thread closed.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-02-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Closed Thread