Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which should I get?
Kindle 14 38.89%
Nook 4 11.11%
Sony 11 30.56%
Other (please post) 6 16.67%
Laptop 0 0%
None 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Kap
Kap began at the beginning.

Device: none
Trying To Decide...

I'm thinking about getting an E-Reader for Christmas, but I can't decide on which to get. The main ones I'm looking at are the Kindle (which is what I'm leaning towards so far), the Nook, and one of the Sony E-Readers (all of them). But there are so many factors involved, and I'm not 100% sure what each can really do. So I may just be better off getting a laptop and using it to read electronic books.

But, as that's a really generalized statement, here's what I'm really looking for in an E-Reader in terms of importance (note, if it's something I want but it isn't available on most/any device, let me know):

1. Good Screen Quality-Basically, I'm looking for something that's easy to read off of. The Kindle's display seemed like it would be the best for this (I admit to liking the e-ink system), but it doesn't have a backlight, making it hard to read it at night.

2. Good selection at a good price- I should point out now that I really like graphic novels, so any that have them would be good. From what I've seen, the nook doesn't have any available on their store. And of course, the cost of books in general and how available most are is also important.

3. Internet capabilities- This is on the list because I've been hearing more and more about how some E-Readers are trying internet. This is very, very good, as I like to get on forums and such a lot. The Kindle's 3G seems very nice given the internet connection anywhere for free, but I'm unclear as to if that applies to getting on the browser of just the store. But if any of them can connect to the internet with wi-fi, then that's a BIG plus.

4. Speed- How long does it take for pages to load when switching over? In the display models, it always took a while, so I'm just curious which is the fastest now.

5. Ease Of Use- Which is the simplist to use? Don't think that I have a problem with difficult readers, but any e-reader where getting from page to page is better then more difficult ones.

And that's all I can think of off-hand to be honest. I've also heard that other devices, like the android tablets, might be good for what I want. I'm just having a very hard time choosing what to get as I don't want to get something I don't use. I appreciate any advice and/or help that anyone can give on the subject.

Last edited by Kap; 12-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
If you are planning on reading GN on your reader, I wouldn't go with a e-ink reader. As much as I love e-ink, you should use an lcd screen for GNs. Also, the Kindle and Nook browse the internet, but again that would be better suited to a lcd screen. If I were you I would look into a Nook Color. It sounds like it would be right up your ally. A lot of people here also recommend the Pocketbook IQ, but I also saw somebody post here that the Nook Color's screen is much nicer.

I wouldn't go with a laptop or netbook either. I can't stand using my laptop to read ebooks. A reader is much nicer to read on and easier to carry around.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I also would recommend the nook colour based on your list.

1 - It has good screen quality but is not e-ink; it's LCD. But it's colour, and if you like graphic novels, colour may be very important to you.

2 - nook colour reads many formats from many stores, so the selection is wide.

3 - It has internet.

4 - Pages load fast, and faster than e-ink (because for now with e-ink, there will always be a lag, though it's getting faster).

5 - From what I've heard it has a very good "ease of use". Of course, I do not own one so hopefully an owner can come in here and relate their experience to you, if you're interested in it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I looked at them all and decided the iPad was the best solution for me. It has multiple uses, not just a book reader, the screen, while reflective in the outdoors, is wonderful at home, backlit, not need to look for a well lit spot to sit. I can even read in bed, with the lights off, the wife snoozing beside me as I stay up late nights reading about Mark Twain's life. Unfortunately, I'm still half in to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in hard copy, and need to split my attention between the two.

So, back to the main point, for a little more than twice the cost of another ebook reader I have a that plus a music player, note taker, email reader, web browser, game player, movie watcher and more that I'm sure will be coming along soon in the app store. Did I mention COLOR?

I I did not need all that other functionality, I'd go Kindle, I think. But the iBook reader with iPad is no slouch! I'm loving it.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
as the first poster said if you like graphic novel, You might want to look into the nook color or if money is no object than an iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

but for general ereading the nook color would be a good fit for you . Price to feature, it's ereading functionality is very impressive.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Kap
Kap began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, one of the main problems I've see with the nook in terms of GNs is that there are none available to buy through the nookbooks system. I know that they could be downloaded through the internet in a PDF or JPEG format and put onto the device that way, but it just irks me a bit too do all that when I would rather just buy and download it to my device. Though someone mentioned being able to buy from other stores and put it onto the nook, so can anyone tell me of these other places you can buy from to put on it?

I hadn't considered getting an IPad though. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Apple from what I've used of it, but the iPad does seem like it might be nice. But with such a high price, I might be better off getting a laptop for multi-functionality or a cheaper tablet. $600 for 32 GB is quite a bit, and that's the max of my spending range.

I do have one question about any of the devices available with 3G though. Can any of the free 3G devices use the 3G to get on the internet, or can that only be done via the wifi? This is a big issue for me as I really like getting on the internet but most of the time I'm not in an area that I can use wifi.

And thanks for the tips everyone, I applicate it. Hopefully this will help me make up my mind.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
With the nook, you can buy from pretty much any store out there except for Kindle, because the nook reads many formats. I don't know what other stores there are, but there are plenty out there.

If you want to spend more money, the ipad is a good choice too. A laptop might be harder to read on regularly, but that's up to you, and a cheaper tablet could also work.

I'm not sure about 3G on the nook colour, but I think most e-readers only use it for their bookstore. So, you can only browse the rest of the internet on wifi. There are hacks/roots available (such as one for the nook colour that makes it into something like a mini-tablet) but I'm still not sure if that opens the 3G up to browsing the internet.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
The NOOKColor is wifi only, it doesn't have 3g. Hacked versions happily run the various andriod comic readers (ACV, etc) and it looks great. I anticipate a comic reader in the NOOK marketplace in 2011.

As far as graphic novels most of the publishers are running their own stores online and not linked to any of the retailers. Marvel, DC, and Darkhorse all support reading graphic novels in a flash viewer, on ios (iphone, ipad,etc) and on sony's PSP. None yet have an android reader, so if you are looking for those publishers, you want an apple device or a PSP. Any tablet that supports flash would work as well, but I suspect not as well as the apps.

At this time the NOOKColor's potential for graphic novels is unrealized and for a Christmas present I think it is premature. I own a NOOKColor and love it but I don't read predominately graphic novels. If I did I would be frustrated now. I can wait. I have two illustrators in my family so I do want to read graphic novels on my NOOKColor but I can wait a year to see how it falls out.

Hope this helps,
Duncan
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

You could also root the Nook Color and put the Kindle app for andriod on it.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
You could also root the Nook Color and put the Kindle app for andriod on it.
why? The nook app is actually alot better, more functoins,more fonts, more options and that really cool page turning animation
Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
why? The nook app is actually alot better, more functoins,more fonts, more options and that really cool page turning animation
I only mentioned that because he seemed to want to buy from Amazon. I know there are other places to buy them besides Amazon. I bought the Buffy Season 8 comic years ago and it was electronic, but I can't remember where I bought it from. It wasn't amazon though. I think I went right to Dark Horse and there was a link. Lately if I read any GN I either borrow them or find them by other means.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A color tablet with a variety of apps does sound like what you want.
The iPad is certainly slick, but I'd think any regular PC or Android tablet would do what you want and give the widest variety of apps and sources to choose from, and would be cheaper than an iPad, possibly cheaper than a Nookcolor, too.

Last edited by ApK; 12-08-2010 at 11:16 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
  1. Unlike the Kindle and Sony e-readers, which use the same non-backlit e-ink display, backlit laptops are not best suited for reading e-books. Covers with LED lights are available for reading at night.
  2. Unlike the Sony e-readers that handle ePub format, the Kindle is intended to be used in conjunction with the Amazon book-store.
  3. The Internet connectivity that some readers provide is primarily intended to be used to access book-stores. I prefer to use my PC for downloading books and surfing the Web.
  4. I don't know how its speed compares with the Kindle's, but my Sony is plenty fast enough for me.
  5. I find the Sony's touch-screen very intuitive, however you might prefer the Kindle's keyboard.
Barnes & Noble Nook Color review
"... it's not as good as E-Ink and Barnes & Noble has by no means eliminated the concept of glare on an LCD ..."

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-08-2010 at 11:47 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I only mentioned that because he seemed to want to buy from Amazon. I know there are other places to buy them besides Amazon. I bought the Buffy Season 8 comic years ago and it was electronic, but I can't remember where I bought it from. It wasn't amazon though. I think I went right to Dark Horse and there was a link. Lately if I read any GN I either borrow them or find them by other means.
I was just having fun
Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
  1. Unlike the Kindle and Sony e-readers, which use the same non-backlit e-ink display, backlit laptops are not best suited for reading e-books. Covers with LED lights are available for reading at night.
  2. Unlike the Sony e-readers that handle ePub format, the Kindle is intended to be used in conjunction with the Amazon book-store.
  3. The Internet connectivity that some readers provide is primarily intended to be used to access book-stores. I prefer to use my PC for downloading books and surfing the Web.
  4. I don't know how its speed compares with the Kindle's, but my Sony is plenty fast enough for me.
  5. I find the Sony's touch-screen very intuitive, however you might prefer the Kindle's keyboard.
Barnes & Noble Nook Color review
"... it's not as good as E-Ink and Barnes & Noble has by no means eliminated the concept of glare on an LCD ..."

hmmm I find it funny you left this part out of the review which by the way is actually PC World's review in which they gave it an overall favorable review.

After reading content on the Nook Color for extended periods, I found that the device takes the concept of an e-reader to another level. The NookColor's display and its intuitive interface form an extraordinary one-two punch. The display employs an in-plane switching (IPS) panel, just as the iPad does, to provide a wider viewing angle and better colour reproduction than standard TN LCDs. And like the iPad, it supports 16 million colours

Last edited by boswd; 12-08-2010 at 12:06 PM.