Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #1
therealTOEBEANS
therealTOEBEANS began at the beginning.

Device: Android - KOReader - S22 Ultra
Question Looking for an affordable Android e-reader

Hello everyone! I don't need something super powerful, I don't need color, I don't need something that can run fancy games or anything fancy enough to type or draw on...

I just want something with a fair sized screen (bigger than a phone) That can play audio files and run rudimentary android apps.

My use case scenario is pretty much saving my actual phone battery. I listen to a lot of music and read a lot on the long bus rides I take (which drains when I also use GPS to help me know which stop to get off on haha). Also at work, when I want to listen to music and not look like I'm on my phone too much at my desk.

I pretty much want to use Libby (which my local libraries use), KO Reader, VLC (and so file access,) and other simple android apps. Kobos and Kindles are, to me personally, silly, since I can't use Libby or any other app I want. Android is the way to go!

If anyone has any ideas for devices like this (affordable, not powerful, android, fairly sized screen) do please help a poor battery-challenged goofball out I'd be most grateful.

Cheers everyone!
therealTOEBEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As I understand it, you want eink, because you say you don't need color? If so, what do you plan to use VLC for? A typical eink device sucks at playing videos.

If it's not eink you want, then any cheap Android tablet would do for those purposes.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #3
therealTOEBEANS

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As I understand it, you want eink, because you say you don't need color? If so, what do you plan to use VLC for? A typical eink device sucks at playing videos.

If it's not eink you want, then any cheap Android tablet would do for those purposes.
Sorry, haha, yes I meant eink, mostly because of the battery life to offload some use from my phone, but also for the better reading experience; screens are really rough on the eyes after a while.

I only want VLC to play audio files like songs and audiobooks. That won't be its main use, of course, it'll mostly be for reading.

Something that I saw recently was the Bigme B751C, but that one's color. That kind of thing is what I was thinking of. Is there a similar device without color, or is that one my best bet?

Sorry for the confusion )

Last edited by therealTOEBEANS; Yesterday at 07:46 PM. Reason: *Clarity
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Onyx Boox Darwin or Page, perhaps? Both can play audio files and are cheaper than the Bigme you mentioned.

https://onyxboox.com/boox_darwin9
https://onyxboox.com/boox_page
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #5
therealTOEBEANS

Thumbs up

These *are* interesting...

I did some digging, and found that the Darwin 9 *would* have been perfectly what I was after, but that it's not available in my country. (?) I couldn't really find any info on it in english at first glance...

I did look at the Page, though. That led me to the Poke 5...! That looks right on the button. I'm practically ready to purchase!

My next question, if you have any guidance, is about *where* to purchase it. What online marketplace is best for buying these devices?

Cheers mate! Wouldn't have gotten this far without your help!
Advert
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Onyx ships worldwide from their online shop.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Or you can try the Boox selection on Amazon though their availability seems to vary by the day.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:57 AM   #8
therealTOEBEANS

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Or you can try the Boox selection on Amazon though their availability seems to vary by the day.
This is definitely something that I was confused about, haha! I found out that in my local area Best Buy has very predictable stock. I think I'm going to buy it there!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Tags
first e-reader, help deciding, help for a newbie, which device