Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2024, 06:41 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
What could cause a Kobo store book to become unopenable?

Yesterday, I tried to open a book downloaded to my reader from the Kobo store, only to get an "Oops! This document couldn't be opened" message. Nothing about the Adobe DRM, just there being a problem with the file and syncing (which didn't work).

I eventually got it resolved by logging in and out of my account... wiping out all my reading positions (Kobo Utilities was able to restore those) and reading stats (not so easily restored).

If it's a factor, the book no longer is available on the Store (due to the author moving to KDP Select). It still appears in My Books.

But for future reference, aside from 'archive and sideload', is there any known causes for this and how to resolve?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:53 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Have you tried to download the book to your computer and open it in Calibre?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2024, 07:00 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, Adobe DRM'd but fine after running it through DeDRM. pagina's ePub-Checker showed only one minor error.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:53 PM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Yesterday, I tried to open a book downloaded to my reader from the Kobo store, only to get an "Oops! This document couldn't be opened" message. Nothing about the Adobe DRM, just there being a problem with the file and syncing (which didn't work).

I eventually got it resolved by logging in and out of my account... wiping out all my reading positions (Kobo Utilities was able to restore those) and reading stats (not so easily restored).

If it's a factor, the book no longer is available on the Store (due to the author moving to KDP Select). It still appears in My Books.

But for future reference, aside from 'archive and sideload', is there any known causes for this and how to resolve?
I've had similar problems very often. Usually suddenly one book I'd started reading refused to be reopened because of DRMs, and when I tried other books I'd started to read, either all of them had the same problem, or just the one, but in all cases everything returned to normal after I turned the reader off (not sleep) then on. Did you try that before logging of your account?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:17 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Much like anacreon, I've found that a restart solves most the weird DRM problems. Especially when it happens with a non-DRMed public domain book from Gutenberg for example.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2024, 08:47 AM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Interesting: Just for experimentation, I restored an older backup of the database. The book once again failed to open. However, this time the delete-and-redownload of the book worked where it didn't work the first time.