Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2023, 10:42 PM   #1
EmperorHJ
EmperorHJ began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb Affordable used ereader?

Hey everyone, first post here for me and I could use a little bit of help. Currently, I do pretty much all of my reading on my cell phone, and while it's alright, I remember how much I enjoyed using a kindle back in the day (years ago, since lost). With my birthday rapidly approaching, I've decided I'd like to get back on the ereader train, only now there are way more choices and options and it's all a bit confusing for me. I'm not looking to break the bank, and would actually have no problem buying used or refurbished. As for features that are most important to me?
  • Ability to read in all levels of light
  • Being able to easily sideload books, preferably without needing a PC (all I have right now is my phone)
  • Physical buttons for page turning is a plus, but not a necessity
  • I don't really care about having access to different storefronts
  • Screen size isn't too terribly important although I'd like something at least around 6"

That's about it, from what I can think of. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated...thanks everyone!
EmperorHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 02:16 AM   #2
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
What's your budget?

TBH, any modern-ish ereader with WIFI and a frontlight will meet your needs. If you have a home WIFI connection, or can use your phone as a hotspot, you can email ebooks to your ereader.

The Kindle (2022, 11th gen) is 120 bucks on Amazon. Likely the cheapest brand-new option.

You should be able to find a second-hand Nook Glowlight (v3 or V4) or a Kindle Voyage/Paperwhite for around 60 bucks on ebay.

You might find a bargain here also:
https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/col.../shop?q=kindle

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-18-2023 at 05:54 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2023, 09:55 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorHJ View Post
  • Ability to read in all levels of light
  • Being able to easily sideload books, preferably without needing a PC (all I have right now is my phone)
  • Physical buttons for page turning is a plus, but not a necessity
  • I don't really care about having access to different storefronts
  • Screen size isn't too terribly important although I'd like something at least around 6"

That's about it, from what I can think of. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated...thanks everyone!
What country are you in, and do you want to borrow library ebooks? Budget limit? What format are the ebooks you want to read in?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 10:18 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've seen or bought S/H or got S/H as gift: Kindle K3, iRiver Cover Story, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Touch (v C), reMarkable, Sony PRS-350, PRS-T1 (freeze on lookup bug), and PRS-T2 (nice S/H with 6", touch, buttons and SD slot works 32G). Either for testing or to pass on.

Better to save up and buy a new Kobo unless it's decent and less than 1/3 price of a new model.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:17 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Since the OP wants "to easily sideload books" without a PC, it seems to me the clear winner is the basic Kindle, given the "send to Kindle" function. And since it doesn't seem a pressing need, I think waiting until Black Friday is the best strategy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2023, 02:15 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Since the OP wants "to easily sideload books" without a PC, it seems to me the clear winner is the basic Kindle, given the "send to Kindle" function. And since it doesn't seem a pressing need, I think waiting until Black Friday is the best strategy.
Any phone with OTG mode that has a file manager and a $6 adaptor will work with any USB Mass Storage mode ereader. A Kindle is actually more complicated using "Send To Kindle" which needs an Amazon account and for most Kindles a WiFi point (which could be the phone).

I can't see how a Kindle is easier.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
What's your budget?
You might find a bargain here also:
https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/col.../shop?q=kindle
Here's another vote for Unclaimed Baggage. My wife got a Voyage from there and has been using it for a few years now.
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:36 AM   #8
EmperorHJ

Thanks for your input and suggestions so far, everyone! I apologize for posting and then vanishing for a few days - to be honest, it's been a number of years since I've actively participated on any forums so the fact that I posted here had slipped my mind completely. Oops!

Anyway, I'd say my budget is somewhere around $100, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily want to spend that much... However, I do understand that it is sometimes unavoidable when buying electronics. Conversely, $100 is by no means a hard cap, either - if there's a situation where I'm able to get something exponentially better for a little bit more money spent up front, then I've told myself that I'm not going to let a few bucks hold me back. Does any of that make sense (haha)?

Also, while I have the funds available now to pull the trigger on a potential deal immediately, I'm not opposed to biding my time, especially if it will save me some cash.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, I'm located in Portland, OR.
Old 10-17-2023, 03:43 AM   #9
EmperorHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Any phone with OTG mode that has a file manager and a $6 adaptor will work with any USB Mass Storage mode ereader. A Kindle is actually more complicated using "Send To Kindle" which needs an Amazon account and for most Kindles a WiFi point (which could be the phone).

I can't see how a Kindle is easier.
This might be a dumb question, but how can I tell if my phone is capable of using an OTG cable to transfer files via USB? I have a OnePlus Nord N10 5g phone and I'm pretty sure all I need to do is buy a cable off of Amazon (any recommendations?), but it's been so long since I've done anything involving file management, I'd just like to make sure.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:15 AM   #10
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
This might be a dumb question, but how can I tell if my phone is capable of using an OTG cable to transfer files via USB? I have a OnePlus Nord N10 5g phone and I'm pretty sure all I need to do is buy a cable off of Amazon (any recommendations?), but it's been so long since I've done anything involving file management, I'd just like to make sure.
Most USB-C phones support OTG now, but confirming here:
https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_nord_n10_5g-10556.php
Your phone is stated as: USB Type-C 2.0, OTG

An adapter will give you the most versatility. I rate the UGREEN cables I've used, so something like THIS
It would give you the option of using regular USB drives on your phone as well as connecting to an ereader.

If you can wait a month, Amazon should have some good deals for Black Friday (24th-27th Nov). The Kindle ereaders are usually always discounted.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-17-2023 at 04:41 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:59 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
You can buy a cheap OTG adaptor plug (USB-C) with a USB-A socket (about £6 / $6 / €6). Then try a cheap USB-Memory stick or even a USB mouse!

If it has a file browser external USB Mass Storage mode will work. USB MTP likely won't work (other phones, Kindle Scribe, maybe other Kindles later, Android eink).
Old 10-17-2023, 08:47 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Anyway, I'd say my budget is somewhere around $100, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily want to spend that much... However, I do understand that it is sometimes unavoidable when buying electronics. Conversely, $100 is by no means a hard cap, either - if there's a situation where I'm able to get something exponentially better for a little bit more money spent up front, then I've told myself that I'm not going to let a few bucks hold me back. Does any of that make sense (haha)?
Probably the cheapest new eReader you can buy is the Kindle Basic, which usually goes on sale for $75 (when it's on sale). I'm guessing around Black Friday, that's the price it will sell for again (normally $100). If your library supports Overdrive/Libby you could borrow books from it using your Smartphone and download them directly from Amazon using the Kindle (via WiFi or HotSpot if your phone supports that). I've seen good reviews for this newest Kindle Basic.

Another good choice might be the Kobo Clara HD, which is currently selling new at Walmart (online) for $120, or "certified" refurbished at Kobo for $90. This is a nice reader with a "warm" light. Kobo has an Overdrive app, so you can borrow from your library directly. (Be aware that the Clara HD has been replaced by by Clara 2E.) I don't know where Walmart got the HDs, but they've been selling them for a while now. The Claras are good 6" readers.

If you would rather have a 6.8" screen, the newest Kindle Paperwhite usually goes on sale for about $110 (when on sale). I'm guessing that it will be on sale around Black Friday again.

Quote:
Oh, and if it makes any difference, I'm located in Portland, OR.
I figured you were from Oregon somewhere. The Oregon State Beaver kind of gave you away.

Good luck finding your reader.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:45 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've seen or bought S/H or got S/H as gift: Kindle K3, iRiver Cover Story, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Touch (v C), reMarkable, Sony PRS-350, PRS-T1 (freeze on lookup bug), and PRS-T2 (nice S/H with 6", touch, buttons and SD slot works 32G). Either for testing or to pass on.

Better to save up and buy a new Kobo unless it's decent and less than 1/3 price of a new model.
Please don't give false information. I've had a T1 and I've never had it freeze when using the dictionary.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:48 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviscosi View Post
Here's another vote for Unclaimed Baggage. My wife got a Voyage from there and has been using it for a few years now.
I can find a number of Kindles and no Kobos. That means that Kobo owners take better care of their Kobo then a Kindle owner as Kobo owners care more about their Reader then Kindle owners. ]

This may mean that Kindle are throwaway items where Kobos are not.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:50 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Kobo Nia is currently $109.99 from Kobo. The software on a Kobo is much better then the software on a Kindle.