Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #136
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
All I am trying to point out is that Co2 from millions of years ago is adding to the witches brew. Otherwise it's only recycling (trees) what was captured in the relatively recent past.
Okay, that makes it a bit more sensible.

Unfortunately, we're not currently at a point where we can dispense with burning the stuff laid down millions of years ago. Biomass can substitute for some of it, but by no means all.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #137
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I get tired of replacing the spot/floods in the recessed light cans in the bathroom. I recently picked up a set of CF bulbs in the spot/flood shape to replace my current bulbs. No go. It seems that the CF bulbs have a wide area just above the screw base that would require me to replace the entire fixture. If I leave the lights on all the time the break even would be in about 20 years.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #138
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Electrical engines are fine, but the current level of technology places definite limits on usage. I expect to see a lot more electric vehicles intended for short range passenger transport. I don't expect to see electric "18 wheelers", nor electric aircraft.

Electric vehicles are limited by speed and range between charges. And you have the larger question of infrastructure to support them. Just where do you plug your electric car in overnight? And does the generating capacity exist to charge it? If so, what powers the generators?
______
Dennis
I don't expect the heavier engines to be replaced either. That's why I said "most". We have 7 million cars driving around in this country alone (17 million inhabitants). Person cars that is. Not trucks. If only those 7M would be replaced, it would already be a great saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
It's a zero sum equation!
Zero emission is not equal to zero sum equation... Because we'll never reach the first, we can only strife for the second.

Quote:

Unfortunately, we're not currently at a point where we can dispense with burning the stuff laid down millions of years ago. Biomass can substitute for some of it, but by no means all.
______
Dennis
Sadly, that might be true for some time to come.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #139
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

______
Dennis

thank you ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #140
Taxidermista
Taxidermista began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm astonished people are still using them. I haven't used incandescent bulbs for the past 13 years. And now the cost advantage of compact fluorescents over incandescents is compelling...
...(cost of incandescent for 600 hours = £0.89 + 600*£0.01 = £6.89
cost of fluorescent for 600 hours = £5.35 + 600*£0.002 = £6.55)
Yeah, sure, 8000 hours...

Please, don't be so astonished, when you find an "energy efficient" fluorescent lightbulb that do not fail after 2 or 3 years of 2 hours/day use (where did I put the f***** ticket?) let me know please.

All this thing is a nice scam.

Last edited by Taxidermista; 09-17-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Taxidermista is offline   Reply With Quote