Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #31
Liz
Liz began at the beginning.

Device: GEB 1150
thank you so much!
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #32
Liz

three questions i could not find anwers for:

128 mega byte Smart Media card. can that be any name brand OLYMPUS, or a SAMSUNG?

is there a ebook store that takes paypal to buy books?

and is there some kind of screen protecter stuff i can get for it? i want to keep it perfect.

Last edited by Liz; 06-04-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #33
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Liz: From what I understand any brand of SM card will be fine. I'm still looking for a 128 MB one in Canada as the shipping from the US is more then the card sells for.

I buy all my books from Fictionwise and they do take Paypal. They also have (in the multi format selection) OEBFF Half VGA (IMP) which is the format you want for the EBW 1150.

AS for secure books... Spend some time on google and you can find various tools to format shift those.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #34
Liz

thank you what do you mean by for (secure books) are not all books secrue? i am dense some times... :P
liz

edit: the books on fictionwise are more expensive then buying them from a book store....

Last edited by Liz; 06-04-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #35
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
DRM

Secure ebooks refers to ones that have DRM (digital rights management) which are intended to keep you from transfering or converting the document. It is basically what they did intially with mp3's. In reality most of us just find it really annoying and frustrating.

For the most part you want to look for .imp books, which are listed as multiformat on fictionwise. If you are not buying through fictionwise look for a html, .txt, or .rtf format.

My preferred secure format is .lit, as it converts really well. PDF's don't convert well. .mobi does okay, but it is more work to convert IMO.

Fictionwise normally has pretty reasonable prices, admittdly you need to join their club thingy, but if you buy ebooks really frequently, most of us have found that the price is well worth it.

Amazon has the best prices in general, however you HAVE to have a kindle or use an iphone or itouch. These are not convertable, well they are, but its pita and no reason to do it in general if you have a kindle since it will read the ebook already.

If you enjoy classics check out Project Gutenberg it has a ton of free ebooks that are out of copyright.

Hopefully that answered your questions.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #36
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
three questions i could not find anwers for:

128 mega byte Smart Media card. can that be any name brand OLYMPUS, or a SAMSUNG?

is there a ebook store that takes paypal to buy books?

and is there some kind of screen protecter stuff i can get for it? i want to keep it perfect.

Welcome Liz,

Smart Media. I have used several brands without trouble. I got some from www.jr.com and am happy. Be aware that you don't need a card at all unless you need more than 8-10 books on your reader or wish to update the firmware.

Paypal. This has been answered above but take a look at the forum main page. There is a listing for ebookwise books available for download. They are nearly always well formatted for your reader and are generally mainstream type novels. Free isn't a bad price either. Gutenberg has half a bazillion books, all for free. I have the June 2006 DVD that contains more than 17,500 books.

Screen protectors. I let my four year old "draw" on mine and it's still good as new. Only use the stylus or your finger, never clean it with paper towels and try not to use harsh chemicals to clean it. The slight fuzzyness that protectors and would drive me 'round the bend in no time.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #37
Liz

thank you all for the info! still have not regestered it yet.